Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Mid-Week Pep Talk

We got a wallop of snow on Monday.  It was that pretty, heavy kind that coats the trees and makes dirty February look like a June bride.  Of course everything had 'just' melted away and even as my legs were planning to hit the pavement instead of the treadmill, another storm was brewing.

It's snowing again today. We literally got the 5 inches in about 3 hours overnight.  But this storm is a baddie as it's ending with sleet then freezing rain.  Already lots of accidents on the roads which are being described as treacherous, and dire predictions of heavily coated trees collapsing on power lines. For only the second time in the 10 years I've been at my job, they closed the office ahead of the storm.  It was nice to go to bed last night knowing I didn't have to worry about that drive.

View from my Living Room Window
(believe it or not this is a color photo, not black and white!)


I went to that new yoga class last night.  Interesting to me was that it was only 9 people, all of whom were middle-aged.  I guess their advertisement of this style being gentle and healing to the body worked.  My friend who is doing the detox went with me.  She had no idea what to expect as she's never done a yoga class.  It was definitely different - low lights, no mats as blankets are used instead, and very slow.  But there was one pose that let me stretch the hamstring I hurt last spring and it felt so good I want to go out and buy the yoga blocks so I can do it at home.  We'll see how things progress but I enjoyed it.

What I enjoyed more was my chat with Ann.  After the class we stood in the parking lot and did a run-down of our first couple of days on this diet re-set.  The overwhelming theme: "I'm hungry."  We both wondered how Dr. Oz could claim with this plan you wouldn't be hungry.  Maybe I have too much food knowledge and somewhere in the back of my mind I know calories count and that is keeping me from eating more.  We know that this hungry all the time feeling passes after a few days and it will be worth the results of better health.  We also had a very funny conversation about chocolate.  Seems we both have a hidden stash and each of us was tempted to have just one bite of chocolate on Monday night.  She said, "The only thing that stopped me was knowing when we checked in I'd have to confess to you what I'd done."  Though I didn't say it, I felt the same way. It seems there is power in community after all.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You were created on purpose for a purpose. There is a thirst and hunger in your heart that is real. Pay attention to it. The world is waiting for you to wake up to the person you are called to be. Stop listening to the negative inner conversation that’s causing you to play small. Focus your mind on positive thoughts, possibilities and solutions that can move you forward. Tap into your creativity and determination and stay busy! Stay focused. Life is on your side! The challenges that you are facing now are only a test. No test, no testimony! Keep moving! Cry if you must, but keep moving! Pray as if everything depends upon God and work as if everything depends upon you. Keep moving! You were born to be happy, healthy and prosperous. There is a power in you that cannot be denied. Get up and keep moving! You have GREATNESS within you!"      


-Les Brown

12 comments:

  1. I've taken snow pics like that too--where I had to check to see if my camera was set to black and white! So glad they let you stay home from work!

    Interesting about being hungry. I always wonder about that. So do you think you would be less hungry if you ate more vegetables (when you are hungry?) Or is it that you just can't make yourself eat another vegetable? (this is how I am)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm eating vegetables every single time I'm hungry... finally last night I gave in and had a few nuts because I couldn't take another vegetable - and you know I love vegetables - and I still went to bed a little hungry. I actually tracked my food one day just because I wanted to see how many calories I was taking in, even if it was endless vegetables and it was 1534. So, I think vegetables without fat and protein are not sustaining is what I think. (Temporary fullness like Chinese food lol!) I also think my stomach needs to shrink and then maybe it will be a bit better.

      Delete
  2. WHAT IS THE YOGA POSE??? Sorry for yelling, but my hamstring insisted I asked.

    I hope the hunger abates, although to me, that was always a sign I was losing weight, so in a way, I liked it. In another way, I wanted to bite everyone's head off who seemed to be happily going about their life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the hunger abates too because if it doesn't it's likely I WILL snap someone's head off... and Mr. Helen is home with me until at least noon today lol! I'll email you the yoga post and I'll see if I can use books to take the place of the yoga blocks and have Mr. H. take a photo of me doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate the hungries so much. They are so distracting!

    I need to get regular with the stretching and stuff for my back. It's really annoying me how bad it has gotten. Chronic pain just sucks.

    It's still snowing here and then they also bumped us to an ice storm warning for later today. Oh joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great way to describe the hungries - it's like you can't concentrate on a darn thing!

      Delete
  5. Ha - glad that you knowing you'd have to confess to the chocolate made you both take a second guess. I do remember when Oprah was doing her thing with Bob Greene - and he said "it's quite okay to go to bed hungry!"

    I love the Les Brown quote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And today we've been texting each other back and forth because our husbands (who work together) ended up being home which means they are eating, eating, eating lol!

      Delete
  6. I agree that plain veggies don't always satisfy or hold me for very long. When I first started WW, I ate a lot of the veggie soup that was just plain veggies. As much as I like soup, I still got tired of it. I'm glad you enjoyed the yoga class. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IMHO all veggie soup can make one dislike veggies, especially if it is not seasoned really well. I like to put a bit of hot sauce and balsamic vinegar in mine... but I still don't want to eat it more than 1x a day.

      Delete
  7. I'm still trying to differentiate (reliably, that is) between being hungry and wanting to eat. I'm going to make a fortune when I do. :)

    Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't have a problem with that. I am one of the lucky people who, when hungry, has a rumbling stomach loud enough that when I was younger I had my mom tell me to "shush!" in church because she thought I was talking. Now I'm not saying I don't sometimes eat just because I 'want' to...

      Delete