Monday, February 3, 2014

Setting Up for Success

The plain hard fact of trying to be healthy and perhaps even lose some weight is this:  it takes planning first.  Without a plan you're pretty much dead from the get go.

All throughout last week, I had shopped and bought ingredients - like Brown Rice Protein Powder and Flax Seeds for my daily breakfast smoothies.  But I knew in order to be successful without stress, I would need to do a bit more than that.

Yesterday, in addition to prepping some treats for Superbowl, I worked on getting things together for my two week Dr. Oz detox.  I know as this week rolls along, I won't regret it at all but boy was I glad to sit down 8 hours after I went into the kitchen!

One of the thoughts I'd had was to make cauliflower rice to stretch the 1/2 cup of brown rice allowed each day.  Or just to use as rice if I want to save my brown rice for later.  For example, my lunch today is ratataouille over cauliflower rice.



I also roasted asparagus and cleaned and shredded a large head of lettuce so that it's ready for salads.



 I made a big pot of vegetable-only soup.  I like soup a lot and this soup even qualifies as one of the things I could eat in unlimited amounts - pretty much all non-starch vegetables qualify! This photo looks cloudy because it was still steaming.

And I decided to go ahead and make the brown rice I'm allowed for the week.

Finally I grilled a bunch of chicken.  I'm allowed 6 oz. of fish, chicken or turkey each day to eat whenever/however I'd like.  Mr. Helen will also have chicken at least once this week for dinner. Since I was turning on the grill I decided to throw some broccoli on there as I know Mr. Helen will eat that as well.


And in the perfect timing category, the Firm DVDs that I had ordered with the Groupon deal arrived on Saturday.  I was absolutely delighted when I opened them up to find they were "express" versions and include 4 weeks of 20 minute workouts that you do 3 times a week.  That's right up my alley.

I also signed up for a 4 week/once a week class of Svaroopa Yoga which is a gentle, restorative, healing type of yoga, especially good for people with back issues or those who have areas of pain.  I feel like I've had one pain after the other the last couple of years so I'm looking forward to this beginner's series.  If I like it who knows, I might continue with it.

Everything is in place for me to be successful, now it's up to me to act on it!

16 comments:

  1. Blogger ate my whole comment. Grrr....

    Jealous of the winter grilling.

    I wish I had your love of veggies. I am better, but they aren't something I am ever going to love. Fruit is another story - I could eat 7 or 8 servings a day if it didn't have caloric consequences (better a pound of blueberries than a croissant, I suppose, but still.).

    Firm workouts are great - especially the newer ones. I have a set and should get them out again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never did winter grilling until we bought a gas grill. Yesterday was almost spring-like though! I knew this plan would work for me as I like veggies. But I'm also getting 2 servings of fruit every day in the morning shake!

      Delete
  2. I'm so impressed when you meal prep so much. I did do some prepping myself yesterday for the first time. I cooked our stew for tonight, made a healthy guacamole I use on my lunch wraps this week and boiled eggs for breakfast this morning. And although it's not half as much as you did, I was pretty satisfied with myself :)

    It sounds like we have the same Firm Express workouts. Is it where the workouts for a week are: cardio, sculpt, cardio & sculpt? I like them although tempo is high. I sometimes haven't the time to switch from a floor exercise to a standing one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think those are the DVDs Fran. I'm planning on trying my first one tonight - I'll let you know how I keep up.

      Delete
  3. Wow, my back hurts just thinking about standing and cooking for that long!

    I bought asparagus this week too! Really looking forward to it--haven't had it since last spring.

    I haven't made cauliflower rice much. Got any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did I ever tell you I stand about 6 hours a day at work? I was moving around a lot so it's not like I was just in one place. My only tip for cauliflower rice is that you really have to have a food processor to do it and don't process it to much otherwise it's mush. I mostly use it to spread smaller real rice servings, sort of like I did with the zucchini noodles in the spaghetti.

      Delete
  4. Dang woman, you sure were busy yesterday! But yeah, that is exactly what it takes to stay on track, so kudos for doing it. I hope the yoga helps your aches and pains...I've been stretching a lot lately and keep thinking that I should morph it into yoga.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so busy I put in a full 8 hours. But I'll be glad I did when I go home after work tonight and it's all done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, I too sometimes can't wait to sit down after prepping for a while - but it is worth it in the end.

    I made a big batch of chili for my lunches this week - and breakfast will be yogurt and granola or skinny egg mcmuffins.

    Have a great week Helen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I never regret it once I'm done!

      Delete
  7. I wish you tons of success as always. Sounds like you are getting ready to blast off. Tell Mr. Helen, hands off my grilled broccoli. Would be nice to have a personal chef that was not yourself/yourchef.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I love to cook, sometimes I do think it would be nice to have a personal chef. I guess that's why when we go on vacation, I don't cook! All meals are eaten out.

      Delete
  8. Yum, you have okra in your soup which I love! We roasted asparagus last night too and it was so good. Good luck with the next two weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caron! I do love okra but Mr. Helen doesn't but I knew he wouldn't touch the soup so in it went.

      Delete
  9. Wow, you are on a ROLL! And your post reminds me to start watching Craigslist for a gas grill. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find one. I'm glad I grilled yesterday - we have 6 inches of snow right now!

      Delete