Thursday, February 13, 2014

Riding Through the Storms

Peeps,  we are having another storm today.  Here's the thing, we haven't been having huge amounts of snow all at once, but we keep having storms every couple of days.  It has stayed really cold too - not above freezing during the day and either single digits or low teens at night.  Which means none of this stupid white stuff is going anywhere.  Also because I live on the coast what tends to happen (as with today's storm), is that it snows 6 inches, then goes to freezing rain/rain/sleet for a while, then as the temp drops, back to snow for another 3-6 inches.  The grand result is you get up the next day with all new snow - that's on a coating of ice - to clear.

I suppose the biggest stressor is trying to get the driveway cleared so I can get to work.  Just by coincidence Mr. Helen took off today and tomorrow so that takes a lot of pressure off me.  He can deal with the driveway and I get to drive his 4WD truck to work. Happy Valentine's Day to me. (Truthfully he offers me his truck every time the weather is bad because he has a 7 minute drive to work and stays on the shoreline vs. my 20 minutes where I drive inland and it's often worse inland.)

The next stressor is getting my exercise in.  Outside running is dangerous and because of the amount of snow, I had to put my car in the driveway which means no treadmill.  I've been flopping around like a fish out of water trying to figure out what to do.  Today I was reduced to these.  I put my computer on top of the fireplace downstairs, clicked and went to work.  Still not the same as my running though.

Tracy Anderson 8 moves for a total body workout.  Yes they were hard and no I did not do 30 of each but I did manage 15 each.

Leslie Sansone: 3 mile fast walk.  Ummm, yeah, not so much.  Sadly, my heartrate barely rose but I'm hoping that maybe I burned some fat since it was lower intensity and at least I moved, right?

In prepping my food for this week, I made a new soup and in the midst of this cold, annoying winter it has brought some sunshine to my life!  Biz actually found this soup recipe and suggested I might like it.  I looked at it and while that person had halved a recipe, I wanted a lot of soup as most days I'm eating a cup of vegetable soup as a snack.  So I surfed around the internet and came up with a version that makes 8 cups.This soup is so good - light and summery tasting, because of the lemon I think, but creamy and filling with no cream!  It actually reminds me of the roasted zucchini soup I make but I think I might even like this one better!



Low Calorie, Low Carb, Yellow Summer Squash Soup

2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 large sweet onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped (mine were large if you have small ones you might want more)
8-10 cups yellow summer squash chunked up (~6 medium squash)
32 oz. low sodium chicken stock (I like Kitchen Basics)
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tablespoons lemon juice

Heat olive oil in a stock pot, add onions and saute until onions begin to soften and clear.  Stir in garlic, squash, thyme and salt and saute for a couple more minutes until garlic is fragrant. Pour chicken stock in and bring to a boil, then lower heat to simmer for 15 minutes or until squash is soft.

Let cool a bit then using a hand blender (or a regular blender) blend until the soup is smooth and creamy. Stir in lemon juice.

Makes 8 cups, nutrition per one cup serving:  75.4 calories; 3.6 g fat; 82 mg sodium; 563 mg. potassium; 7.7 g carbs; 2.4 g fiber; 4.7 g protein.

5 comments:

  1. Wee - I love that you liked the soup! I am going to make it over the weekend too - I just think it's summer in a bowl - both of which we need right now!

    Hang in there - the winter light is at the end of its tunnel! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My, Helen! Glad he gives you the 4X4! Love the soup recipe! Thank you. And thank you for the exercise links. I totally understand the difficulty exercising outdoors in the middle of winter. It's dangerous! Stay safe and as warm as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love adding lemon juice to soup at the end - it really makes the flavors pop. Your soup sounds yummy and perfect for your (stupid) weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you fared well during round one of this 'mess' and that round two doesn't fell you either! Spring has to get here soon right???

    ReplyDelete
  5. That soup looks delicious.

    I hope the weather gets better soon, you've had enough winter. It's time for Spring!

    ReplyDelete