Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Tuesday Ten

1. As I mentioned in yesterday's post we had a bit of a meltdown, which was good for better clearing of pavement but also good for the soul.  My street is interesting in that this time of year, with the way the sun moves, there literally is a sunny side of the street.  Not my side.  For comparison, look at this photo.  The picture on the left is my across the street neighbor's back yard where that little snowman was.  The picture on the right is our side.




2. I noticed the other day that two of the search terms that led someone to Doing A 180 were "heel fracture vs. plantar faciitis" and "torn plantar fascia."  I'm really sorry whoever you are.  If you actually read any of those blog entries you know I had both.  It sucks.

3.  I meant to blog a bit about our Valentine's Day but the every-other-day storms were just about all I could handle last week.  It was memorable because Mr. Helen ended up grilling our petite filet and lobster tail in the unexpected 6 inches of snow we got that evening.  The hardest/fastest snow was falling just as he needed to grill. Crazy!




4.  I told Lori this the other day but I'll say it again here:  I'm trying to find balance between tracking for knowledge and over-tracking my food.  By over tracking I mean I look at what I've eaten and I'll see that I have blank number of calories "left" for the day.  So I eat something, even if I'm not hungry.  So completely silly to do that, especially as I'm not dealing with blood sugars or anything like that.

5.  I've officially made my first purchase for my vacation - shoes of course!  It almost felt a bit ridiculous buying them because there was feet of snow outside so these shoes didn't match that.  But I was in a TJ Maxx and that's a store where if you see it and like it you better buy it.  I love the blingy little detail on them.


6. My last Svaroopa yoga class is tonight.  I have really enjoyed this beginners series and learned a lot.  Do you know last week the instructor asked me if I would be interested in getting certified so I could teach classes myself?  That was flattering.  Not sure what I'm going to do after this, but I do want to try to keep a bit of yoga in my workouts!

7. We went out with some good friends to celebrate their 40th Wedding Anniversary! This is my friend who did the Dr. Oz diet and has been going to yoga classes with me. We were out with them a few weeks ago and they confessed they usually don't do anything, but I insisted something needed to be done because 40 years is a big deal.  We made a reservation at a fancy restaurant where the portions are small but delicious and we had a great time. Our waitress had a candle put in their shared dessert because she said she couldn't stand to bring them the plain dessert when it was such a special occasion. They were only 18 and 21 when they got married - her parents forced it because they wanted to live together lol!


8.  I LOVE the You Tube for TV feature I found on my DVD/Blueray player. I've been adding videos to my favorites lists so that I can do a little something extra a couple of times a week.  Even though it's still inside exercise, it provides a rounding out of my exercise and works my muscles in different ways than running.

9.  I'm becoming convinced that my body got the message from my two week jumpstart - eating regular this week I lost another 2 pounds! I don't know why I'm squinching the toes on my right foot - maybe anticipation?

1. Of course now that I'm on a bit of a roll, Friday of this week is when I'm having the double scope procedures:  a colonoscopy AND an endoscopy.  Each one has their own prep so I'm doing both at once.  Starting today I have to eat a low residue diet, which basically means no fiber, no vegetables, the only fruit allowed is apple sauce or banana, no grains.  Pretty much the opposite of how to eat healthy.  It's going to be an interesting week.  Of course I'll weigh myself Friday morning, just to temporarily see that number lol!  But the next weigh in I'm really excited about is March 10th when I see my doctor again.

16 comments:

  1. Wow, Helen, you're on a roll! That is fantastic. It will be so fun to share your weight loss with your doctor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she'll be surprised for sure. Let's hope this roll keeping on rolling!

      Delete
  2. I love your Tuesday Tens (and not just because now I know what day it is, lol)!

    There's nothing like buying stuff for a vacation to make it seem that much closer to reality. :)

    Hope everything goes well on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Tuesday Tens used to be the most looked at posts I have. Now I have to write something depressing or put up a depressing headline to get a lot of hits.

      Delete
  3. Yuck on that prep. At least you can combine it, though! Hope the tests go smoothly for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when they told me I would have to prep twice I said no. But after one day of this "all white" diet, I'm not so sure I made the right decision lol.

      Delete
  4. Biggest woo hoo...prepping for vacation. Biggest ewww...prepping for the tests. Hope all goes well Helen!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to concentrate on vacation prep for the next few days to blank out the other.

      Delete
  5. Yep, after our meltdown my deck is completely cleared of snow on the side of my house, but the back yard still has mounds of snow 1-2 feet deep! So sick of this winter - and not only are we getting sub-zero again, but I read today that we may be in store for another "potentially significant" snow next week. Gah!

    Of course you bought shoes for your trip - I would expect nothing less from you. And with my new pair of running shoes, that brings my shoe tally up to five. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly Biz, this year, the weather has hit you then us. I think our overnight temperature tonight is 6 or something stupid like that.

      Delete
  6. Yay...you can see grass! Wish we could. Mr. Helen is a sweetheart. I'm so glad you're taking care of your health--smart girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do appreciate seeing grass even if it is across the street lol!

      Delete
  7. I would really like to hear from a person who has done it (and not just from the material they give you to read) how bad the endoscopy is. I was supposed to have one last year because of my anemia and wimped out and did not do it. I hope you sail through the tests with ease.

    Pretty shoes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know after. Right now, I'm not enjoying the diet. All I can eat is "white" stuff. It's such an unnatural way for me to eat.

      Delete
  8. The Valentine's dinner and 40th celebration dinner both looks like a lot of fun.

    And as a shoe-addict myself, I love the new ones you bought. Can't wait to wear these kind of shoes again too. Get a bit tired of the boots by now.

    I like to hear your experiences with both the procedures too. My doc would do one of them (don't know which one anymore) too for me at my last hospital visit but I wanted to try medication first because he said it is an unpleasant procedure. So far I'm still good on the medication so I won't do the surgery. Take care Helen and good luck next Friday, I'll be thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if the medication is working, stick with that for sure!

      Delete