Tuesday, March 18, 2014

(Pictoral) Tuesday Ten

1. Today is March 18th. Once again, it is colder than normal for the time of year (18 with a windchill of 8).  I honestly can't remember such a cold winter in a long time. I realize there are places where it's colder than here, but the fact remains it shouldn't be this cold HERE. I feel like we're having Minnesota's weather instead of ours. As I couldn't stand the thought of running in the wind chill nor running on the treadmill (again), I made myself do a step aerobics video in my garage, which is the only place where I have enough space and won't wake up Mr. Helen.  But I wasn't happy about it. Though my body was moving, my mind was all
Got it done, but there's a reason why exercise videos are usually taped in a studio or on a beach and not in a 24-degree garage!

2. Even though the last two predicted snowstorms have passed to the south of us, here is evidence of our lower than normal temperatures - a stubborn pile of snow on my patio - there's a bigger one in the front yard.  Sigh.


3. Here is a photo of the best Eggs Benedict I've ever had.  Mr. Helen took me to brunch on my birthday and it was what I chose as my main.  Poached eggs with Serrano ham over crispy polenta with a drizzle of Hollandaise.  The crispy polenta really made this dish so much better than a soggy English muffin. Those are their truffle frites in the background - unlike any other breakfast home fry you'll ever have.  I may never be able to order anything else at this restaurant.


4. Speaking of my birthday,  the card Shelley sent me had "my" lighthouse on the stamp. You've seen it before on this blog when I've taken photos while running down by the ocean.  I was as tickled with that stamp as I was with the card lol!


5. I got two absolutely gorgeous bunches of flowers for my birthday, which was a couple weeks ago.  Believe it or not they are still beautiful and all I've done is freshen the water!


6. Just when I thought all the birthday hoopla was done, I got these new earphones in the mail on Friday.  It was a mystery gift until I called Little Helen and asked her if she sent them because I couldn't figure out who would know I'd been wanting these.  They are very expensive but so worth the money.  They even come with a separate little case for carrying when you travel.  Because they are made especially for iPhone/Pod/Touch, diamond shaped button on the cord allows volume control and pausing, rewinding, and fast forwarding of whatever you are listening to.  So exciting to be able to do that especially if I'm wearing them while running!


7.  March actually holds a lot of family birthdays. We celebrated my father-in-law's 86th birthday last weekend.  We managed to get 20 of the family members together at the restaurant and a few more showed up later at the house for cake/ice cream.  Here's a photo of him (looks good at 86, right?!) with the youngest family member, his great-granddaughter Layla who is 18 months old. Believe me when I tell you Layla rules the universe right now.

8. We also spent the weekend with these munchkins. We don't get to see them as much as we'd like as it's a bit of a process involving ferry rides back and forth to get them. Grammy Helen took them back home on Sunday.  Gracie melted my heart when she laid her head on my shoulder, sighed and said, "I guess I have to wait until Easter to see you again." After they left, it was all we could do to stay awake until bed time.  We were pooped!

9.  Having those little squirts meant I did not get a super long run in on Saturday - I only had time for 4 miles. Still happy to have gotten that in though.  I've also added back doing a short Body Weight warmup before shorter runs. I know, know, know I need to be so much better at this type of thing but while I could run for hours I don't have the pateience for more than 15-20 minutes of strength/body weight training. Here's a favorite one:


10. Finally ordered, framed, and hung the photo of us at the bottom of Mooney Falls from last year's Grand Canyon trip.  Now my plan is to surround it with smaller photos from the rest of the trip.  Let's see how long that takes.

And that's it in Helen world right now!

14 comments:

  1. It's funny, I get so excited when I see any bare ground at all right now. Before this last storm, the edges of the lawn were starting to show and I got all excited LOL! Now they are covered again, but with temps in the mid 30s for the rest of this week, it should be melting more. I'll just be happy enough to get the glaze of ice off the back of the driveway.

    Those flowers are beautiful! I love how long bouquets last. They are like little bits of sunshine in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bare ground is still not exciting me - I want warmer weather! But of course we did not get that last snow storm like you did either.

      Delete
  2. We have had two winters that were much colder than we are used too. Last year this time we had snow too, now it's an early Spring. I'm not complaining, I love mild winters. I hope that it's finally enough for you and Spring will arrive soon!

    That egg benedict dish looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a lovely world you're living in right now. From the yummy looking eggs benedict to the Grand Canyon waterfall, to those gorgeous grandkids, to the equally gorgeous Layla (I'm assuming she's a niece of yours?) to those pretty birthday flowers, you are truly blessed. Happy (late) birthday, and thanks for sharing!
    P.S. I know what you mean about loving to have the grandkids visit, but being exhausted when they go home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And these aren't even my grandkids lol! They're my niece and nephew, the children of my youngest sister. I feel vindicated though because my sister told me yesterday that the kids arrived home exhausted so I guess it was a two way street.

      Delete
  4. I admire you for doing any exercise in that cold. I'd be all "Nope. Bears don't exercise all winter, and they seem to get along just fine."

    Those powerboats earphones intrigue me. I looked on Amazon, and they had some regular, and some "monster" powerboats. Any difference?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all Debby they are Power BEATS by Dr. Dre. The best headphones and earbuds on the plant IMHO. Guess what else mine came with? Adapters to put over the earbud so that when you're on a plane they become noise canceling. Worth every penny. Go here and you can see the full collection:

      http://www.beatsbydre.com/

      Delete
    2. LOL, I did look up powerBEATS. I wonder if I did that or it autocorrected to powerboats. Love the noise canceling effect. I will definitely check them out. I also liked that they could be used for hands-free talking on the phone.

      Delete
  5. Yep - my backyard is still full of snow, although my drive way is pretty clear by now - I just can't wait to get rid of all the dirty snow!

    Hooray for Little Helen sending those to you - love it! And holy cow - that breakfast! I don't like runny eggs, but that's one of Tony's favorite breakfasts.

    Here's to us getting warmer temps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you're right...you're having Minnesota's winter, and here in Minnesota, we're having the North Pole's winter. Enough already! The flowers are beautiful! What a day brightener. Eggs Benedict look good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, the reason I don't live in Minnesota is that I don't want the winter there - take it back!

      Delete
  7. I am SOOOOOOO sorry I missed your birthday Helen. Belated Happy Birthday!!!! Hug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roz. I didn't really advertise it - took it off Facebook a couple years ago even :D

      Delete
  8. Belated happy birthday wishes! What a delightful way to brighten up the dreary winter days.

    (I was thinking I might get some of those earphones, since I have an amazon card burning a hole in my pocket. Looked it up online and discovered I'm going to need a few more gift cards. :) )

    ReplyDelete