Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Bring on April!

March came in like a lion and went out like one too, roaring with 4 straight days of pouring rain. We were under flood watches and I had many, many friends who had to pump their basements. On Monday morning the temperature suddenly dropped and the north and northwest part of the state got sleet that turned to 3 inches of snow in some places.  Car accidents everywhere. Even in the southeastern part of the state where I am ended up getting sleet that eventually turned to big fat snowflakes.  Thankfully it didn't stick around.  Today is sunny but boy it is still pretty cold with overnights being only in the 30s.  Bring on the month of April (and spring, and warmer weather, please Mother Nature)!  I've been wearing this like an amulet.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Got together with my friend Em for brunch on Sunday.  What a fabulous brunch it was too.  Really nice restaurant and they had a Bloody Mary bar!  You pick your vodka, (or you could do a Virgin Mary with no booze)  tell them if you wanted a salt rim, then they added the tomato juice. You grabbed a straw and then went along and put whatever you wanted in your drink.  I chose Pink Himalayan salt rim, celery and caraway seed, Worcestershire sauce, a pepperoni stick, pickled vegetables, gorgonzola stuffed olives, freshly ground horseradish and a shrimp on top!  I should have taken a photo of the drink but I forgot.  

Here's the bar setup: I chose a bacon-infused vodka (duh!) but if I could have also had a shot of clam juice to make it a Bloody Caesar or a shot of beef broth to make it a Bloody Bull.


So much fun!  Of course the best part of brunch was just sitting and talking with Em for a couple of hours. Based on our conversation, I think we both needed some girl time!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mr. Helen and I have been faithful customers of the same furniture store for all the years we've been together.  They sent us an offer of 0% (yes, zero percent) financing for 48 months and if we purchased during a certain time frame, they would pay our sales tax.  We were wanting to buy new things this year but had no idea how we would come up with that amount of money.  Our living room furniture is 18 years old and the family room stuff we inherited with the house nearly 8 years ago so don't know how old it is.  What we do know is that all that furniture is beginning to break down and we needed new or better used stuff. With this offer, we were able to buy new items for both areas!

We had a maximum amount we had agreed on so you can bet I looked at every stick of furniture in that showroom.  When I realized it was going to be easy to spend that money, I had Mr. Helen drag a small end table over to the sofa I wanted.  It is similar to what we currently have and I wanted to see how it would blend.  We liked it and ended up buying only the small table to put next to the love seat, instead of buying all new tables.

The new living room furniture is so different that it is going to require painting and a new carpet as well. That has to be done this weekend because the new stuff is being delivered Monday. I will do before and after photos but here's a sneak peek of the new living room sofa and what I'm thinking of doing for an area carpet.


Now, I just need the weather to cooperate this weekend so we can open the windows while we paint. Have I ever mentioned how much I detest painting?  But we can't afford to pay someone to do it so I'll just have to suffer for the cause. It will be worth it in the end.

17 comments:

  1. I would paint your house! I love painting! It's such a great way to make a fresh change. I am a fast painter, too. It's funny, my sister and mom both hate painting as well and I am always offering to paint stuff for them :D

    Please take before and after pictures!!!

    I like mixed drinks, but bloody mary's to me have always seemed gross and the thought of tomato juice with meat juice in it just made me erp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori you have no idea how many times I have literally thought, "I wish Lori lived closer" over these last couple of weeks LOL!

      Delete
  2. I love turning over a new leaf in the Spring....we're currently redoing parts of our house - painting downstairs bath (new colours), refreshing the kitchen woodwork, changing up the livingroom paint and rugs and throw pillows, AND...front and back hallways/stairwells.

    Cannot wait until it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your pretty pink necklace, but is the silver piece on the top supposed to be/mean something?

    Love that you are getting new furniture, and LOL on needing to paint/carpet because of it...same thing happened to us! That slim end table is really nice - hard to find something that size, but it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You win today's prize Shelley! I wondered how long it would take someone to ask... that is a map of St. Martin/St. Maarten of course!

      Delete
    2. Oh how cool! Makes sense now. :)

      Delete
  4. I've been fired from painting at our house - I tried to paint Hannah's bedroom a long time ago, and after three unsuccessful weekends, we ended up hiring a professional to finish it up!

    Hooray for new furniture! Other than our dining room set, everything else I've gotten from consignment, thrift or garage sales - I guess you could call my decorating style "early miscellaneous!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could be fired from painting but Mr. Helen is so annoyed about the painting that he doesn't even want to buy the paint so I figure this is a job I'll be doing all on my own and I don't have any time to waste as I want it done before the furniture arrives!

      Delete
    2. If you don't have them, invest in a couple brushes. Get an angled trim brush (2 inches ish) and a flat brush. The trim brush makes it so easy and fast to cut in edges without bothering with taping and all that. Synthetic brushes are the best, too. I am going to be buying new paintbrushes soon for doing our new house as I have worn out my old ones from so much painting :D

      Delete
    3. Ooooh thanks for the tips!

      Delete
  5. Well, you are ahead of me on getting new furniture! I love that end table especially. And you already know I am paying somebody to paint my house. I waited 28 years to get in the mood and it didn't happen LOL.

    Lori's tips are interesting though--cause I was wondering 'how is he painting that trip so accurately without taping?'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still not in the mood but I refuse to have to move and cover my brand new furniture so it will get done this weekend. I think I may have guilted Mr. Helen into helping some :D

      Delete
  6. Love the new couch, please share some pics of your rooms when it's all done.

    I hate painting too. We have an agreement at home that since I do all the cleaning all year long, R. is responsible for renovation work. Last year he painted the outside of our house in 2 weeks. He hates it too but hiring a painter is pretty expensive and we rather spend the money on something else.

    Good luck with the painting this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. good gosh on the in and out like a LION.
    here's hoping theres lottsa BBAAAAA BAAA LAMB your way this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need a deal like that on the furniture. I NEED new furniture carpet and I WANT new paint!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have total envy over that sofa! Can't wait to see the new set up.

    I recently found a couple of local Facebook resale sites. I've already bought a kitchen set and just missed out on a dining room set. I'm convinced I'll eventually furnish my whole house for $1000. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could find something like that - even our Craig's list in this area stinks. We are coming up on yard sale season though so I'm hoping to find a couple things to finish off another room that needs furniture but is always last on the list.

      Delete