Thursday, April 17, 2014

Cranky.

I know I just wrote a post about how happy I'm feeling but there have been some things lately that throw moments of crankiness into my happiness and I want to get them off my chest!

First of all, I woke up in the middle of the night Tuesday/Wednesday to ice pellets hitting the bedroom windows.  Oh boy.  Not a good sign.  Sure enough, by the time we got up Wednesday morning, it was 32 degrees and there was a good solid 1/2 inch of sleet/ice on everything.  I wish I had taken a picture of my poor daffodils laying down on top of that. As it was, only a few of them bloomed this year so to see them lying there broken was aggravating and upsetting all at once!.  Also, none of my tulips bloomed.  Obviously the bulbs are there because the leaves are coming up, but I'm not getting flowers.  Anyone have any ideas?  I'm getting ready to pull them all out and maybe try some crocus there.

Also?  We are having a hard freeze for a few nights.  It will be a wonder if any spring flowers survive. Additionally, I am sick and tired of dressing like the abominable snowman to take my morning run.

Second, I am getting increasingly tired, tired, TIRED of my athletic friends and their memes posted on Facebook.  I complained about one last week, but I've been seeing more and more stuff like that and it's irritating the crap out of me.  The other morning I saw one about not complaining if you have a bad run and just to be thankful you can run because not everyone can.  NO NO NO! It's my run and I'll complain if I want to.  People are allowed to have feelings about their own situations.

And another thing:  what have we become that people are made to feel guilty if they don't work out every. single. day. - or worse, multiple times in a day.  I keep seeing statuses like, "I went for a 5 mile run this morning, then I went to the gym and lunch and tonight I'm going to take Zumba."  Yet the morning of the ice/snow a friend posted that she didn't want to deal with going out in it and had decided to be "lazy."  Immediately other people jumped in there and said things to guilt her into working out.  (Except me.  I posted that it was OK to take a day off.) That is SO completely unnecessary.  Most of us are not professional athletes but are just folks trying to live a bit healthier.  I just wish the madness would stop.

Third, the price of groceries is making me insane.  I have watched our grocery bill creep up over the last 18 months and I'm not buying anything different.   I have a completely new understanding of folks whose budgets are so restricted that they eat a lot of processed foods, because if you can feed your family on a $5 frozen pizza, why would you make your own?  In an effort to keep us eating healthier, I am now going to 2-3 grocery stores every week and only buying sale items, finding the least expensive produce, and doing without convenience foods.  For me convenience foods was stuff like the pre-bagged salads. I never do that any more.  Now I buy a couple of heads of lettuce and shred them and putting them in a container.  I didn't really love grocery shopping before and now I just want to get in bed, cover my head and pretend we don't need to eat.

Oh, maybe THAT'S  the weight loss secret I've been looking for:  just don't eat.


12 comments:

  1. Okay, blogger totally ate my whole comment. Grrr....

    Regarding the tulips - if you just planted these last fall, give them time. Tulips can be early or late season bloomers and so these may not bloom until May. My late bloomers have leaves now, but I know I won't be seeing blooms until Mother's Day.

    If they tulips are older than a year, pull them up. Tulips can be surprisingly short lived depending on the variety.

    And thank you for the chance to talk gardening! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I remember my mom planting tulip bulbs every year, so yeah, I second what Lori said about them being short-lived. And that is the extent of my gardening knowledge, lol.

      Delete
    2. Well I planted tulips because I thought they were perennial. I need to check but these weren't planted just last fall. I probably should look closer to see if any have buds. And if they don't, I'm yanking them!

      Delete
  2. I agree with you on the exercise craziness. I think with the popularity of crossfit, it became a thing to workout to exhaustion...and then do something else, too. It's become a thing to exercise-shame and/or exercise-brag. My thoughts are that I need to do something that I can sustain - sure, people jump whole hog into these intense workouts, but are they still doing them six months later?

    We live in a bubble when it comes to groceries so I can't complain about that, but I did notice grocery prices seemed to be higher in North Carolina when I was there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I like that: exercise shame/brag. Because that's what it is. I don't care for it at all!

      Delete
  3. Helen, we all feel out of sorts sometimes, and often for good reasons. Voicing an opinion on one's own blog is a right we bloggers have. This winter has been so very hard on lots of us, including our long awaited spring flowers. Let's hope we never see another like it. Waiting for spring here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I said once before we've had Minnesota's weather here this winter lol! I don't let trolling comments stay on the blog. They don't get attention because it's my blog and I have the right to say what I want. REGULAR readers and followers know the truth, right?

      Delete
  4. You know what I always think when I see people post about working out 3 times a day?

    Don't you have a life? Don't you have to work?

    I have been using Nexercise on my phone for over a year now. You get points and medals for working out and have a friendly competition with other people that you can friend. I always unfriend the ones that workout multiple times a day, walk 4 to 5 times a day and then on top of it do housework up to 3 hours E.V.E.R.Y day. If you have a normal house you don't have to clean 3 hours every day. I believe they cheat in order to get more points (for US participants you can get points for discount/rewards too).

    Long story short: I have the same opinion towards exercise as you have.

    And I'd rather have you say you had a bad run when that happens because it makes you human!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran, you are making me laugh out loud with your description of the people on the Nexercise app. That's exactly what I'm talking about - and then they go post on Facebook about it LOL. I always want to post back, "Get a life!"

      Delete
  5. Yep, I am with you on the grocery prices. I hardly buy anything processed or pre-packaged anymore. I buy whole carrots and cut them myself (found out they taste way better than baby carrots too!) and chop up mixed greens to make my own bagged salad.

    And you are correct, it's YOUR run and you can cry if you want to! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm. Now you got me wondering about the grocery bill. The last couple of times I've gone I was a little surprised at the total. I'll have to check that out. Do you go to Costco or Sam's back there?

    I don't have any exercise friends like that. It sounds like "young people" to me LOL. Are normal aged people actually carrying on like that??

    The tulips. Interesting conversation. I thought they only lasted a year out here because we didn't have a cold enough winter. But maybe its everywhere. This is the first year in a long time that I've actually had tulips that I liked. That is so sad about your daffodils. That is the same way I feel when I come out and discover that "the big oaf" has knocked a couple over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a warehouse store here called BJ's although there is talk of a Costco coming soon. I'd like BJ's to have some competition for sure. I do shop there for several bulk items that are always cheaper than even the sale at the regular store.

      And yes, those are some grown adults who are posting crap like that about exercise. I hide them as much as I can but occasionally still will see something and get irritated all over again LOLOL!

      Delete