Monday, April 7, 2014

Paint Palooza

Well, the painting got done and Mr. Helen and I are still married.  Don't get me wrong, I wasn't a bit surprised when I got home Friday evening that not even one stripe of paint was on the wall.  Even though he began to talk about getting it started towards the middle of last week, he didn't want to paint.  The difference between Mr. Helen and me in these situations is procrastination.  Whereas I am the sort who figures it's best to plow through the job and get it over with, he will procrastinate until the cows come home hoping against all odds that this terrible thing is just going to go away.

The reason I mentioned that we are still married is because it was one of those marriage moments when you wonder why you are even putting up with that other annoying person in the first place. By the time he did come upstairs to get started, I realized what he was procrastinating with and I was ready to throttle him - not to mention, I'd been edging the room for about an hour and a half.

When we purchased our new furniture, we had to pay to have it delivered but it's worth it because for every piece they bring in, they take an equal piece out.  So basically we've paid someone to move our old furniture for us.  All set, right?

Well, when we bought our house we inherited everything in the family room, which consisted of a large overstuffed sofa and love seat, a huge antique looking computer station, a huge projection TV and the gas fireplace.  When we asked the realtor why they weren't taking it, she said, "They don't want to have to move it all out of here again."  Here are a few shots taken the week we moved in (jeez, I need to clean up down there now, it was so neat 8 years ago!):




We lost that computer cabinet and bookcase when we had the flood a few years ago but all the rest of it is still there.   To get that cabinet out of there, we had to cut it up into pieces.  We've always known when the time came to get the old furniture out and the new furniture down there it was going to be a challenge.  If you look at the middle picture to the left of the sofa you can see how the stairwell is small and narrow with an overhang.  Here's what it looks like going down:

Here's what it looked like the other night when Mr. Helen decided he was going to try to get that big honking sofa out of there all by himself:

Yes you read that right:  all by himself!  As you can see he took the railing off but what on earth was going through his mind I have no clue... until I realized he was procrastinating the painting!!  I was so torked I texted Shelley who sympathized and empathized and once I blew that steam off I calmed down.

Anyway, 1 1/2 hours after I started edging and cutting in he decided he'd start rolling the walls.  I finished up about 7:30 and left him.  It took another hour for him to get the first coat on. In the meantime, I had a glass of wine, and decided we could stay married.

Saturday he rolled the second coat of paint then "let" me do the trim.  As I was about 2 hours into painting trim I realized one of the reasons I hate painting is that every single time we paint, I do the edging and the trim.  Basically, I do the hard stuff!!

While I gave up my Saturday morning long run because I knew I would just be worrying about getting the painting done, Mr. Helen left and went to the dojo for 2 hours.  When he got back, I handed him a small can of flat white and asked him to touch up around the ceiling edges where some of the wall paint had spread out, you know, in case semi-pro fixer upper Lori ever visits.

All told I calculated it took 12 woman/man hours from prep to finish.  Well worth it and I'm really excited to see how it looks with the new furniture which is being delivered today.  Who knows, they might have to saw that sofa to get it out but I won't be there. Thank goodness the professionals are coming!

I know you want before/after photos and those will be coming soon.  In the meantime, enjoy one last look at the overstuffed sofa (which now has no legs but that I insisted be put back where it belonged in the room). Mr. Helen is cheering for the UCONN men, which are playing for the national basketball championship tonight.

"I Gotta Call Dad"


12 comments:

  1. Yay! Don't you love old houses and their staircases? Ugh. I call ours the Staircase of Death.

    It can be very difficult to work with someone when they don't work like you. There are those jobs I would just rather do by myself than be annoyed while I am working by someone else not doing it the way *I* want them to LOL.

    That is cool that they are taking away your old stuff. Can't wait to see the new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old house problems - you are so right about that. I dream of living in an open, modern ranch LOL!

      Delete
  2. I had to laugh that you painted and decided to still stay married - Tony and I cannot do projects together at all - I plow through stuff - on a whim I decided to paint my daughters room that was all dark green. Um, I didn't know that I should have used kills or something like that to get a clean start - nope, I started painting the dark green walls with bright yellow paint, which quickly looked like baby poo - and each subsequent coat got worse and worse - we had to hire a professional to finish it! That was 14 years ago, and I haven't painted anything since!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I never had to paint again I'd be perfectly fine with that. In fact, I hope that's what happens even as I plan to repaint a bunch of the trim around the house over the summer. Sigh.

      Delete
  3. LOL, I so get the "still married" part - and also, I realized years ago that I was always the trim/edging person...wth??? The wall person gets all the instant glory! Glad this ordeal is over with and I hope once the new furniture is in place you can look at the room and say it was all worth it - well, have a glass of wine and THEN contemplate it, haha.

    Basketball. Mystified by all the brackets and excitement...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wall person DOES get all the glory. No fair!

      Delete
  4. If you ever find yourself pondering a quickie divorce again, give me a shout for a perspective check. Since I live alone, I have to do ALL of it. Even a procrastinating Mr. H. would be welcome. (Does he cook by any chance?) :)

    Can't wait to see the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did all of it alone for 10 years between marriages so I know what that's like and probably why I want help dammit! LOL!

      Delete
  5. Doing renovations together have broken up marriages and I have to say Mr. Helen would have drove me crazy too. We have divided the jobs that need to be done here because that works best for both of us but when we do have to work together we usually do very well because we work the same.

    Hope you enjoy your new furniture by now, look forward to see how it finally looks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! It's been a LONG while! (I used to be Sunny at The Sunny Life.)

    Oh don't even get me started on painting!! I have endured 3 years of a VERY saturated turquoise downstairs because I made the near-fatal mistake of not being downstairs when he started....then when I saw that it was MUCH more saturated than the spa-like pale turquoise I thought I was getting...he talked me into 'loving it, give it a year or two.' Well, time's up, buster! He gets to re-paint next month. I can't wait! So what color did you go with? I'm leaning towards BM Balboa Mist, a VERY light almost-white-greige. I want my turquoise accents to pop, not get gobbled up with the wall color. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sunny Gwen! The paint is called Cloudy Day. I've learned the hard way to always buy the paint sample and leave it on the wall for a few days first!

      Delete
  7. Hahahaha...I had couches like that in the basement once...they got stuck midway up the steps....it was a nightmare! Hahahaha.

    Mine doesn't procrastinate....he just leaned I finished projects everywhere!!!

    ReplyDelete