Thursday, April 10, 2014

The Stairwell Won.

If you are part of a step/blended family (or even know someone who is) you should go read Karen Anderson's blog on the death of her step-children's mother.  Beautifully vulnerable and said in a way that really captures the uniqueness of being part of such a situation.  I'm pretty sure I could not be the woman that Karen was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lori had a nice little rant on her blog yesterday about that dumb Jenny Craig commercial with Kirstie Alley. Here's my rant: Stuff like this irritates the crap out of me.  I'm so tired of seeing things like this that make women who could never manage this feel less than adequate.  So irritating!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once the painting of the living room was finished and sat for a couple of days, I started getting worried about the color, because it looked bluer than I thought it was going to.  On my swatch it looked more grey and the color was named Cloudy Day so grey, right?  Then I began to think that maybe it was because of our old furniture and rug with the blue there.

Good news though, it looks FANTASTIC with the new furniture.  And I know all ya'll are wanting a photo but you're just going to have to be patient and wait because once the furniture was in the room, I changed my mind about the window scarves and carpet so all that's on order right now.  Once everything is set, I show you photos, I  promise.  If you want to see it before then, you'll just have to stop by and visit me *wink*

I knew there was a problem as soon as Mr. Helen called because he was raving about how great the furniture looked and telling me I was absolutely right about the window treatments (I had put the one I first chose up on one window) and that I should just go ahead and buy the different ones.  I kept thinking "he's doing that good news before bad thing."  Sure enough, the stairway going into the family room became a problem with the new furniture delivery down there.  So much of a problem that it couldn't even be delivered!  Argh! Thankfully, as they had tried to get the old stuff out first and that wasn't working, just before Mr. Helen started to break it down and saw it up into pieces, he had the thought they should try to bring the new stuff down. It was a no go.

The issue is that it's very narrow AND the stairs from the upper level of the house come into that opening therefore creating a short space to shove furniture through even if you try to turn it on end. Plus you have to make a right hand turn right at the bottom. Looking at this photo, the brown stuff above is the covering over the stairs that go to the bedroom level.  We are beginning to think that perhaps that shelf/ledge was built after the furniture was put down there.  What a mess!


So, back to the drawing board on this.  I have actually been working with our salesman to see if we can find a sectional that we could buy pieces of that will go down there.  We think we may have something worked out but I'm waiting for a final determination which may involve sending someone to my house to measure things. Ask me if I wouldn't like to just tear that ledge off... I'm sure it's probably concrete behind there though.  This is truly an old house problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's a perfect description of how I felt (um, and maybe? acted...) on Monday before and after the furniture debacle.

22 comments:

  1. We have the same problem getting furniture into our basement. There's a turn at the end, with two more steps, and that turn makes it really impossible to get large pieces down there. We ordered a leather set about 10 years ago: couch, love seat, and chair. Had to exchange the couch for another love seat. It's hard to stretch out on the love seats for the guys, it's okay for 5'4" me, however. Isn't it fun to have new things?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so fun to have new things - now if I can just find new things that will go down that stairwell and make the turn lol!

      Delete
  2. I agree with both you and Lori (regarding Karen and Jenny C.). That photo of the mom and baby is also a bit unrealistic. Good luck with the furniture. We took a sofa bed out of my office yesterday, and it was very difficult. We can't remember how we got it in there. Anyway, I have chipped paint on the woodwork, and the outside corner of a wall is chipped. One thing leads to another when it comes to redecorating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sofa sleepers are darn heavy but we really wanted one down there since we only have 2 bedrooms. Oh well, there's a better solution for us out there somewhere.

      Delete
  3. Too bad about the stairs/couch; I hope you can find a nice sectional that will work in the basement. Glad the paint worked out! I've had so many of those "OMG, that's not the color I thought it would be" moments that I always buy a sampler can to try out.

    And UGH to Kirstie, Jenny Craig, and that entire dieting industry. Just stop with that madness, would ya?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a sample! In fact I had 3! I painted a 18 x 18 squares onto the wall and let them sit for week looking at them in different light. I swear the sample just didn't look as blue. Thankfully it all worked out :)

      Delete
    2. I had similar things happen with my samples. Both the blue and the pink walls are a LOT brighter and darker than I thought. And right now J. is painting the dining room, and it is EXTREMELY bright!. I just came in and it was a little darker, and I mentioned that, and he said "I turned off all the lights." that really made me laugh.

      Delete
  4. I'll have to check out those two links - I haven't seen the new Kirstie commercial.

    Gah about the furniture! And I suppose you don't have a walkout basement door? I am sure you'll come up with something - can't wait to see the final pictures! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, this is a true basement. No door, not even a bulkhead! You get out of there by those stairs or crawling out the bathroom window lol.

      Delete
  5. I wish I could be there to inspect that wooden corner. It might come out easily - you never know. Our stairwell is so hard to navigate that our max bed size is a queen. And on top of that, we had to get a split box spring because a regular one wouldn't go up the stairs - which we found out after we purchased and couldn't get it up there.

    There will be a solution, though. You just have to think outside the box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Us too with the queen bed! The upstairs stairwell has an overhang that won't let anything bigger go up. The day we moved in I had to run to the local sleep shop and buy a split box spring. (And our set was only 3 months old!). I think our old houses have a lot in common Lori!

      Delete
  6. Thank you, Helen, for sharing my post with your readers.

    And I'll tell you what: I didn't know I could be that woman until I was.

    And LOLing at that last bit about coffee and wine ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coffee and wine: one on each end of the day to make it right lol!

      Delete
  7. There is a new Kirstie ad out? Glad I've missed it. People need to stop eating processed food and just try good, clean, natural foods. dur.

    Will be getting paint samples this weekend. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I had samples and it still looked different but all's well that ends well! Good luck with your painting.

      Delete
  8. I'm terrible at choosing specific paint colors. There are currently a dozen or more various shades of yellow taped to my kitchen wall. I can't afford samples of ALL of them, so I'm trying to narrow it down. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what I mean! There are too many choices/variations as per my comment on Lori's blog today. It's nervewracking because you know darn well once you paint you don't want to paint again lol!

      Delete
  9. Oh brother about the stairwell. Someone pointed out that with all the changes made around here, it might be difficult to get big stuff in and out of the house...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Note to self....be wary of a house that is being sold with the furniture in the basement!!! Hahaha

    I can't wait to see the end result!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bummer about the furniture. Grrr. Laughed out loud at the some-eard though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a bummer that furniture couldn't go downstairs, hopefully you'll find something that can be put downstairs and that you like. I look forward though to the final results.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you have an IKEA? All of their sofas come in pieces so you can carry them down the stairs and then assemble them in the basement. They come apart the same way if you ever want to move them out without using power tools, LOL! And once they are assembled, they are as comfy as any regular sofa - we have the Karlstad sectional and loveseat in our basement and you'd never guess it arrived there in about 20 boxes. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete