Thursday, May 29, 2014

Vacation, St Martin: New Things #2, Fort Louis

This was sort of an old thing/new thing combined.  Marigot is the capital of the French side of St. Martin.  Every Wednesday and Saturday there is a market there filled with booths that have lots of stuff:  kitzchy souvenirs for the tourists being brought off the cruise ships, some genuinely beautiful and original things, as well as a fresh fish and produce market.  Additionally surrounding the market area there are restaurants - local BBQ type stalls, outdoor patios, bakeries, etc., as well as art galleries and other types of shopping.  We have gone to this market once, if not twice, every time we've visited.  I will say our purchases have become more discriminating as the years have gone by, but it's fun all the same.

 Main drag by the market, we were looking for a parking place.  As you can see it's busy around there.

We got behind this vehicle and Mr. Helen was frustrated because it was going so slow.  He started yelling, "Come on!"  I looked a bit closer and started laughing, then explained to him that the sign on the top of the car meant Driving School and that was a student driver.

This seems to be the only shot of the market I took this year.  This market actually goes around a huge circle so this is a terrible photo lol! I need to take a lot more next time because all my best photos of were before digital cameras. Next time, OK?

Anyway, one of the things you can do while in Marigot is to climb to the top of Fort Louis.  Again, every year we'd say we were going to do this and every year we didn't.  I was determined that this was the year it would happen so on market morning I said to Mr. Helen, wear sneakers, climbing to the fort!

This fort was built in 1789 as a means to protect the Marigot Harbor.  You can read a little bit about it here but it's primarily an historical site now.  Once you reach the top, you get sweeping 360 degree views of the island.  It's really incredible and one of the times I wish I had a better camera!




 We made it - look at these views!


I love the colorful roofs in the Caribbean






This is me climbing up some rocks to take a photo for the lady who had taken ours




  The remainder of the Fort with the French flag flying proudly

Crazy cactus like this were all over the grounds

The only way in and out

These views were so gorgeous and we could pick out various parts of the island where we'd stayed in the past and you could see the airport. It was really fun and amazing all at once.  I don't know why we put this off for so long, especially since it's free.  We will definitely make this climb again - maybe with a better camera next time!

P.S. If you're getting bored with this series, hang on to your hats - I should be done in about 3 more posts, including the ever-important shopping/what did I buy post for Shelley and the flora/fauna post for Lori! Then I'll be back to my regular boring posts LOL.  

9 comments:

  1. Wow, those are great views! But that is a particularly good picture of you and Mr. Helen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you Debby, that's sweet of you to say. I always think he looks good in photos and I'm trying to be a little less hard on myself ;)

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous viewpoint!!! I clicked on each picture and in the cactus one, wondered who put Silly String in it? ;)

    Patiently waiting for my shopping post. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, that silly string is actually a grass that sort of blows around and gets stuck in the cactus!

      Delete
  3. Not bored at all. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spectacular views! Now I can't wait to see the flora and fauna :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope my camera does them justice LOL!

      Delete
  5. You're not boring me at all! Love these posts and look forward to the shopping post too :)

    That climb was so worth doing, what a spectacular view.

    ReplyDelete