Friday, May 30, 2014

What to Do, What to Do?

As regular followers know, I made a decision a while back to stop trying to "diet." While I continue my quest for healthiness, I was just so tired of counting and thinking and planning and so forth that I was becoming numb, especially when the scale wasn't giving me any joy.  Then I went on vacation, and lost four pounds without even exercising.  I decided that between smaller portions (I wasn't as hungry) and complete stress relief it seemed my body settled down and started to go where it wants to be naturally.

Of course, now we've been home for a couple weeks and I'm pretty sure my stress levels are right back where they were before vacay.  I haven't stepped on the scale because I just don't want to, but there hasn't been any drastic change in my clothes, so...

Anyway, this week at my job, they announced that there is going to be a 12-week weight loss and fitness challenge.  A professional, degreed nutritionist and wellness coach is being brought in and will conduct weekly 1 hour meetings.  If you can't come to the meeting, it's going to be video taped.  In addition to a daily motivational point that will be emailed, she is also going to meet with each person individually to give them an eating/exercise plan based on their individual needs.  Also, my boss owns a hot yoga studio, so he said that he will pay for unlimited yoga for June, July, and August for anyone who joins the challenge.  It costs $35 to join but that money is going to go towards prizes throughout the 12 weeks and there will be a grand prize at the end.

SO.  I am feeling very conflicted about this.  Every part of me wants to do it, except the part that doesn't want to be dieting -- and that's a pretty big part.  I feel like a dog who has been chasing it's tail for the last 3 days... my thoughts go round and round in a big circle and I can't figure out what to do!

Gah.

14 comments:

  1. Shoot, I'd do it just for the free yoga!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the biggest thing keeping you? I admire where you are and how attuned you are to your body and needs. You know better than anybody what's best for you. Perhaps the weekly seminars and unlimited yoga classes would be worth it--an enriching experience and for little money--even if you didn't necessarily make winning the goal. Maybe the goal is just to enjoy the weekly education and yoga experience...a bargain at 35 dollars. Can you release the competitive side and just relax and enjoy a great deal? :) Sounds like you have a fabulous employer!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, what Sean said. Do you want to try yoga? I've been wanting to try it forever, so that kind of appealed to me. You are already healthy and fit. You probably know as much about nutrition and exercise as anybody in your company. If you go into it with the attitude that you don't need or want to actually LOSE WEIGHT, you might learn a tip or two from the nutritionist. Hey, and then you could share those tips with all of us : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. The free (well, $35, but that's a great deal) yoga would get me to join, but honestly, those seminars? You could be teaching them. Can you skip that part and just take what you need from the "challenge" - you know, make it work for you instead of you working for it? Prizes would be fun to get, but not at the expense of making myself crazy over everything I ate/worrying about having a "good" weigh in...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I think its worth it just to get the one on one attention and take it from there AND take advantage of the hot yoga! I've always wanted to do it - but it costs $15-$20 a session and the closest one to me is still 45 minutes away.

    But, if you think it will just put you in a tail spin of thinking you have to count calories, etc., just keep on keeping on. :D Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would just take yoga classes on your own. Helen - you don't need anyone telling you how to eat. You know how to do that. The hardest part is just the doing.

    That being said - you seem to do really, really well when you set some goal for yourself. Like that Dr. Oz diet. The only problem I see is that you are going to get focused on the timeframe and what you think you should be losing and then lose sight of any benefits that happened along the way. Especially if other people are involved because comparison is inevitable in group challenges.

    This new feeling you have about being happy with who you are and where you are might get squished with this challenge.

    Of course, all of this is being said from my point of view on the outside. Or maybe I am just projecting what I would feel like doing this LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a tough one, Helen. There are pros and cons no matter which direction you choose to go. If you could take the benefits at that great price, and not get hung up on diet, I think it could be a good thing. I guess you're the only one who knows, so I don't want to give you advice, because that would be based on my own needs and issues. I think you're doing well on your ownl, but you never know when such a program might be beneficial. Best of luck with this decision!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would you be able to separate the "diet" stuff out and just use the program for the yoga and possible motivational uplift? Cost-wise, it seems like a good deal, but not if you have to go the "all or nothing" route with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I say do it......take the information as just that...information. That doesn't mean you have to 'diet'. It just means they gave you information. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. From what I have seen in your blog, I know you don't want to "diet". I don't know about you but I am highly competitive and this would be my kick in the butt to make me stick with it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. First I thought: do it but then I read Lori's comment and have to say I'm more with her. If you really want to do yoga, just take the classes yourself. There will be competition, it always is if there's something to win. You are doing great on your own now, why make it harder on yourself?

    You know I do WW at work. I stopped going to the weekly meetings after 3 times, the lady couldn't tell me anything new and wasn't all that good. I'd rather spent my lunchtime on eating lunch in the restaurant. Somehow I seem to lose weight at the moment. I watch more carefully how much I eat but at the weekends I don't do WW but it turns out that I don't eat all that much over the weekend and every week I lose a bit. Seems I found what works for me too. It's going slow but it's happening.

    ReplyDelete
  12. yep yep yep.
    ID DO for the FREEEE classes and the comradarie.
    which I need but CAINT SPELL :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still have to catch up to see what you decided, but if it were me, I would have gone for it! I love the idea of the personal eating plan and the weekly meetings -- both might be just what you need to kickstart yourself again.

    ReplyDelete