Monday, July 14, 2014

Monday Miscellany

I swear I cannot figure out what is going on with my running lately.  One day I'm a speed demon - the next I can barely make it through the run and have to take walking breaks.  Lots of humidity lately and that definitely affects speed but for goodness sake, not this much.  As I slogged around this morning I kept thinking how glad I was that I wasn't training for any race because I'd be making myself crazy trying to hit certain pacing.  I've been running long enough to know that this is just how it is sometimes, but it still makes me a bit crazed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The other day I came across a couple of sunflowers blooming away on the side of the road. Obviously a bird must have dropped seeds because where they are make no sense.  This morning I ran back by that area and found it's a whole sunflower patch just sitting there.  How fun!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We got to have some Jacob and Grace time this weekend.  They're 7 and 10 years old now (or as Grace said about 10 times so it must be important, "I'm nearly 8 and I'm officially a 3rd grader and Jacob is almost 11 and is going to middle school so we won't be in the same school again until high school!")  They are pretty self sufficient now so it's a lot different having them than when they were younger, but I swear Grace can still wear me out.  She is just talk, talk, talk - go, go, go!  Since we only had Grace for 24 hours because she had to go home early Sunday to start Pony Camp this week (Pony Camp!) we packed Saturday full.  We spent several hours at the beach, which they love because Uncle Mr. Helen spoils them and takes them to the arcade and lets them buy clam fritters and chicken fingers (even though I packed sandwiches) - not to mention he'll spend several hours in the water throwing them around.  




Look how much Grace has grown up:  the left photo was exactly 5 years in July.
The years are flying by!

After the beach we went back to the house to chill out for a bit and have some dinner.  We introduced the kids to the classic movie ET which they'd never seen.  They loved it.  Mr. Helen had his heart set on getting pizza but the kids talked him into going to Moe's.  He such a good uncle he gave in, of course.

That evening was the annual fireworks over the river. We had to keep them up late as it doesn't even get dark enough to do them until 9:15 but I figure that meant Grace would willingly go to sleep when we got home - I was right.

This was the night of the super moon but I didn't want to zoom in because I wanted to show the beautiful water and marina.








It really was a great weekend, even though by the time Mr. Helen dropped Jacob off at Mama Helen's last night (he's going to Paint Ball Camp this week), pretty much all we did was sit and stare at the TV lol!  We were both t-i-r-e-d.

Mr. Helen got his pizza too: BBQ Chicken and Veggie.  At his request I made it rather than buying it. I'd not had to cook for two days so I didn't mind.  Plus, he just loves my homemade pizza.  

I'm feeling like summer is full steam ahead right now!

8 comments:

  1. Before I even got to your caption on the picture, I thought to myself "Gracie has grown so much!" - she reminds me of my niece Theresa, seeing them go from little toddlers to these cute girls. What a fun weekend - and of course nieces and nephews are meant to be spoiled a bit when they visit. Looks like everyone was enjoying their clam fritters. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I am right with you on the madness of running - I can't figure out why some runs are so nice and light and others are just a plod...

      Delete
  2. What a great uncle! (Uncle Mr. Helen cracked me up.) Yummers on the pizza. I like my own homemade pizza too. I can have exactly what I want on it, and I seem better able to control my portions. (Maybe that's because I put it in the freezer and take out one portion at a time…)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get soooo exhausted when I am around the nieces for an afternoon LOL!

    Biking is that way for me, too. Sometimes I have legs for days on a ride and others it feels like I am riding through mud. Must be fairies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a perfect weekend to me Helen! Glad you had such a great time together. I had to laugh because back in the days when my niece were younger and came over for the weekend, we would be worn out at the end of the weekend too :)

    I have decided not to care about pace anymore, like you I am not training for a race. That doesn't mean I don't want to improve my time but I'm not in a hurry and if I have a day where pace is slow, that's perfectly okay. After all we are running for ourselves and our own pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe how big Grace is already!! What a fun weekend, and of course, since you ended the weekend with pizza - perfect for me! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have sunflowers galore. It helps that we feed sunflower seeds to the birdies, so they leave us little gifts for next spring! Regarding my eating plan - email me mpilgrim(at)phs(dot)org

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post. Incredible photos!! The kids grow up too fast, don't they? Pony camp sounds interesting! Mr. Helen sounds like the best. I always feel good when I visit your blog. Thank you for sharing what you do!

    ReplyDelete