Monday, August 18, 2014

Beauty All Around

On the weekend of the supermoon, we went with our friends on their boat for a sunset cruise.  As I may have mentioned before, I have terrible issues with motion sickness so going out on the ocean in a boat isn't in the top 10 things I want to do.

A couple years ago, shortly before our 20th anniversary trip to St. Martin, I heard about a drugless motion sickness device called Relief Band.  While available all over the internets now, even just a couple years ago, the only place I could find one was at a diver's shop 30 minutes from my house. I made the drive and bought it because I was weary of arriving at destinations feeling drugged up from the patches I have to wear.  It worked great!  I've used it over and over on flights and in cars and on the ferry.  However, it had not been tested in a boat, on the ocean, which is where I had my worst motion sickness EVER about 20 years ago.  So bad that I've never forgotten it.

But Mr. Helen kept asking me to try and the boat's Captain, Jim, promised me the river going out to the sound gets very calm around the time we were going, so I agreed.  He also agreed if I started not feeling well, we'd turn around and go right back.

We met them at their house, had a couple of appetizers, then took the rest of the appetizers for the boat.  When we got in the car, I looked over and Ann was wearing a Relief Band too!  I held my wrist up and we cracked up and promptly dubbed ourselves the Seasickness Sisters.

It was a gorgeous night to be out on the ocean. We actually anchored and watched the ocean traffic and sunset and even with the boat bobbing around (rougher than normal probably due to the moon that weekend), neither Ann nor I got sick!

I'm so glad we did this - once again I was reminded of how often there are things right where we live that we take for granted. Not to mention, I got to see two lighthouses, one of my favorite things to see! I hope I keep my eyes open for more opportunities like this one.

Enjoy some photos of our night.

Watch Hill Lighthouse which is near Taylor Swift's house






That same weekend was the 200th Anniversary of the Battle of Stonington, so the Mystic Whaler was out doing a sunset cruise as well as part of the commemoration festivities.





Beauty all around.

13 comments:

  1. So glad you didn't get sick and were able to enjoy the evening! I enjoyed the photos too, Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a lovely evening. So glad you could enjoy it without getting sick because it sure is stunning and breath taking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really lovely evening - can't wait to do it again, hopefully before summer disappears.

      Delete
  3. What a treat! I, too, get extremely motion sick and would have felt the same trepidation as you. I'll have to remember to try the Relief Band if I ever venture on a boat again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonder watch, I'm telling ya!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous! So glad you were able to enjoy it. What a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy to know about this. I am also a seasick sufferer. Thanks! Love your beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, it's worth every penny. And it has replaceable batteries so it lasts and lasts. I bought mine in 2012 and I noticed it's only $10 more now than what I paid. Not too bad.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful pictures. I wish I'd have been there--that's how lovely it looks from your pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy crow - those photos are gorgeous!! Glad you were able to experience that.

    I never get motion sick unless I read in the car for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous pictures. I'm so sorry I haven't commented in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How beautiful!!!

    My dad used one of those. Good to hear you say it works--in case I ever take that cruise!

    ReplyDelete