Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Changing My Act Up

I have really enjoyed this summer.  It has been everything I want in a summer - most weekends were great weather so I had lots of beach time, time with friends and family, plenty of outdoor exercise, plenty of patio time and of course the ever present food and beverages.

Even with all that good, recently things have started to feel cluttered for lack of a better word.  I've been craving a bit more routine and orderliness in many areas of my life.  I mentioned to Mr. Helen that although I have loved every minute of my wellness workshop and exploring lots of new ideas about not being so restrictive with everything, I feel like things have gotten a bit too loose.  He replied that he didn't see me that way at all, but when I when I explained that just like when he's getting ready to test for a black belt and gets a bit more strict in many areas, I am feeling the need to buckle down or at least get with a more organized program.

Buckling down for me usually means trying to commit to cleaning up and clarifying.  If I had the money what I'd do is go check into a spa for a month.  A spa that has no internet or social media, one where I'd get food made and delivered to me and one where I could explore a completely different exercise routine. Since I do not have that sort of cash, I've had to come up with a program of my own.

As far as food goes, I'm just going to clean up my plate a bit.  I'm still determined not to diet (meaning there are no foods that are off limits to me), or follow any strict regulated program, however I could probably do with a couple less scoops of ice cream, if you get my drift.

Mostly, I've really, desperately been wanting to change up my exercise routine - which has gotten all too routine. However, I am not a gym person - at all - so that puts some limits on things.  I started thinking about it and remembered that one of the things I really enjoyed about the Muay Thai boxing was the body weight workout we got in between boxing rounds.  So, I started looking around for something.  I wasn't even sure what I was looking for but I knew I'd just KNOW when I found it.

And quite by accident I did.  Maybe there are people out there who know the woman who runs this website but I'd never heard of her - boy oh boy am I glad (I think) that I found her.  Her website, chock full of different workouts and programs that do not require a gym, is 100% free.  She depends on PayPal donations to keep it going but if you don't even have a single dollar to donate, you still can access everything completely free.

After surfing around a bit, I decided to do her 30 Days of Change program. Appropriate, right? I also decided to give her a small donation because I would have paid a trainer hundreds of dollars to come up with something like this for me. Unlike other times when I've donated - I received a thank you email from her within 24 hours.  And that's why I'd donate again.

I knew I would be going to visit my sister for a few days at the end of July so I decided I would start the program this past Monday when we got back.  So far, the only changes I've made was on Day 2, when the "Cardio" element took only 4 minutes 10 seconds to complete.  Well, not actually. ACTUALLY it took me about 6 minutes because though I wasn't supposed to stop, about half way through I figured I was going to die.  I literally had the thought that Mr. Helen was going to come into the garage looking for me and I'd be dead on the floor.  Anyway, once I got through it and the body weight exercises, I had enough time to take a short walk.  As I am used to doing much more cardio than Day 2 required, I figured a walk wasn't going to mess things up. I hit the pavement and got 2 miles in, hoping it would move the lactic acid in my legs around.

Then I decided to skip Day 3 (or rather move it to make it my Day 6) as it looks like that workout will take about 1 1/2 hours total and that's the sort of time I have on a Saturday. So while today is day three for me I did the Day 4 workout.  Once again I extended the cardio but only a bit from 27 minutes to 30.  My brain just likes round numbers lol.

Something must be working because by mid-afternoon of Day 1, I could feel my legs getting sore. On Day 2 when I woke up, my hip flexors screamed and said they didn't want to work as I shuffled across the floor. By mid-morning my arms were sore too, probably thanks to the plank. Today, I'm feeling a bit like I might have to walk down stairs backwards!  But I have as much determination as I do soreness, and it's that good sort of "wow, those muscles haven't been used for a while" type of soreness.  The kind you hope and pray really is bringing about change.

13 comments:

  1. I've never heard of that website - her posters are really nice! It's good that you recognized the need for a change, and are doing something that you like. My friend asked me what the best time is to workout, and I told her "whenever you will do it" - seriously, it's all about the action, not the "best" way, you know? Good on you for getting that action in! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think sometimes people won't try a new exercise because they don't know how. It's so nice to have the visuals right there as you're working out.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I got lost in that website! OF COURSE, I was looking at her recipes, not her exercise : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny. Me, the big cook, hasn't looked at a single recipe there... yet!

      Delete
  3. That's awesome! I will have to check that out. I wish I could be in more of a routine - this back and forth to Mayo has been havic on my workouts - as long as I get something in I figure it's a victory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your routine will come back soon enough.

      Delete
  4. You know yourself better than anyone, Helen. It's so awesome to have that internal "warning light" flash--and we're able to make the adjustments needed. I need recipes!! Thank you for this resource!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray - strength training! You know what a firm believer I am in that. I should check out that website. For a second I was hoping you were going to write that you were going to try biking :D

    I am thinking (hoping) that things are going to start feeling a lot less cluttered for me now that we can be moving forward on stuff instead of muddling around. I need some kind of plan, whether it is for food/exercise, work, my projects, whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a firm believer in it as well, I just have a hard time doing it. I was telling someone about this program yesterday and told them I make myself do the strength exercises before I do the cardio. It's like the cardio is my reward lol.

      Delete
  6. That looks interesting! I like to change things up, too! For me at this point in time, it means changing back to my normal workouts, which should be Sunday. {fingers crossed}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear things might be calming down a bit for you Cammy.

      Delete
  7. Looks like a great program and best part that it's free. Knowing you for a while I know you will complete the 30 days succesfully, once you decide to do something, you do it!

    ReplyDelete