Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Five Favorite Things

I love grapefruit. Grapefruit martinis, grapefruit seltzer (which I have been drinking non-stop this summer so I won't drink the martini lol!), this grapefruit salad, and as of late, THIS:


I found it quite by accident as I normally don't even give Chobani a glace - I MUCH prefer Fage because I generally only buy plain yogurt and Fage is the best.  As you can see it's a limited batch so I've been buying it when I see it and having it for a snack or dessert.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Newborn babies.  This is Em's baby who was 10 days old when I took the selfie of us.  He stayed like this for most of 2 1/2 hours.  I swear I felt completely and totally relaxed after holding him.  I may need to borrow him for stress relief.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Neila Rey's workout program that I'm doing.  I am just loving, loving, LOVING the switchup from what I'd been doing for a really long time.  I am not even minding that I don't get a day off!  This was my very favorite workout (on a non-running day) in the last couple weeks.  The workout called for shadow boxing (and no kicking) but as ya'll know I earned a black belt in Muay Thai so I dragged out my gloves and Mr. Helen's Wavemaster and went to town.  The video is only one minute, but for the workout I had to do five 5-minute rounds.  I wore my HRM because I was curious about burn and at the end of 25 minutes I'd burned 250 calories! 

video

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My city, during the summer.  Our Main Street coordinator has been working overtime this year to bring really great events to our downtown waterfront area.  I made up my mind we were going to go to as many of them as feasible.  A new one this year was a food truck festival.  We went, had a bite to eat, and got to hear Mr. Helen's friend's band play.  That's the United States Coast Guard Barque Eagle in the background.  It had just returned from it's Swab Summer training sail.  Now, if I could only take my city and transplant it somewhere else during the winter...


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Summer Squash and Red Potato Tian.  I kept seeing these all over Facebook and Pinterest but they all had tomatoes in them and we are not fond of warm tomato slices, so I decided to make one myself.  It might just be the perfect side dish with both a green and starchy vegetable in one.  We loved it, here's how I did it.
  • 2 T olive oil (divided)
  • 1 large sweet yellow onion cut in half, then sliced very thin
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 4-5 red potatoes, unpeeled (depending on size - try to match the size of your squash and potato)
  • 1 zucchini
  • 1 yellow squash
  • Dried thyme, salt and pepper
  • 1/2 cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese (you can use the bottle stuff but it won't be as good)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a baking dish with olive oil cooking spray and set aside (I used a 9" glass pie plate.)

Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet, add the onions and saute until slightly browned. Add the garlic and cook for another 60 seconds. Spread the onion mixture on the bottom of the greased baking dish.

While the onions saute, slice the potatoes, zucchini, squash in about 1/4 inch thick slices. Layer them in a single spiral layer on top of the onions.  Alternate each type of squash and the potato.

Season with thyme, salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle the last tablespoon of olive oil over the top, then cover the whole pan with foil.  Bake for about 30-35 minutes, uncover and poke with a fork to see if the vegetables are tender.

Remove the foil, sprinkle the Parmesan over everything then return to the oven to cook another 30 minutes or so, until the cheese is lightly browned.

Delicious!




7 comments:

  1. OH MY GOOODNESSSS.
    I rock the new born baby time.
    for about 30 minutes :-)
    then **they** are normally ready fer their mamas again.
    love love love that photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good lord, I am exhausted just WATCHING you box! That is one intense workout!!! You go, strong woman!

    I heard someone else say they liked that yogurt flavor - I'm same as you, a plain Fage girl, but I'll have to try the grapefruit as I do like it, too.

    Your veggie dish looks so good. I might make that next month when I have people to eat with!

    Newborns. Yes. Ahhhhh. Everything about that picture is perfect. :) :) :)

    I agree, your town looks perfect in the summertime. You just need to winter somewhere else. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That recipe looks amazing, as usual! Must try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waaaa - I can't find the grapefruit one, but I did find the lime one, which I loved with fresh blueberries - only holy grams of sugar - 16! I am so used to eating plain Greek yogurt, so I ate mine almost as I would a dessert!

    Love the video - bad ass! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet, sweet baby!

    I find the sweetened yogurts to be too sweet for me. The only one I liked was the Chobani vanilla. I am a plain 2% fage girl all the way :D

    We have a soda stream and make tons of seltzer water, which I love in the summer. I love the citrus flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just glad I'm not the wavemaster: you rock Helen. Loved seeing it.

    We have events in our town during Summer too but most of them on Wednesday's during the day when I work, besides it's same old same old. I have been living in this town for 20 years and it's the same for the last 20 years (and years before that). If you have seen it once, you are good for the next decade LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your first line cracked me up Fran!

      Delete