Monday, September 29, 2014

Monday: So Much Miscellaney

Summer came back this weekend!  Oh my, we had just simply gorgeous 80 degree days with no humidity and blue, blue skies.  Perfection in my book and record breaking on top of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I get so flustered when my workout doesn't go well. Saturdays really are my chance to run longer and do extra body weight exercises if I want.  My run this past week just sucked.  No other way to say it. It almost made it worse because the weather was so gorgeous, but it really and truly was one of those runs I was glad to be done with.  So much so that I cut it shorter than I had intended when I started out.  And you know it was bad when I wasn't even upset about cutting it short.  Just super annoyed that on a day when it all should have come together it just didn't.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Little Helen and her fiance came to town so we could have a meet-up with his parents.  They live about an hour away from us so we met near to the middle between.  It was a nice get together and gave a bit of insight into his personality.  His mom is a great story teller and we got to hear some doozies from his childhood.  After our lovely lunch, we went and visited a couple of possible wedding venues.  It's really so very fun and exciting.  Now if we could get the happy couple to pick one and set a date lol!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Little Helen brought me this gorgeous piece of pottery.  She bought it when she and her fiance went and spent a week in Maine with his parents.  It's from Edgecomb Potters.  I love it so much, I hope to add some pieces.  Perfect excuse to take a long weekend and go to Freeport or Portland.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My part-time job has been sporadic so I'm still not feeling like I'm in a good routine yet.  This week I start running shifts myself with a person there to help if I get stuck on something.  Next week I'll be put into the schedule on my own.  I have to say, not much has changed since I was there 11 years ago and I still don't mind doing this work, even after a long day at my full time job. Good thing because my plan right now (unless I win the lottery) is to work this job for at least the next 3 years, when Mr. Helen retires.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I went to the doctor for followup on my back issue.  The first two weeks I had absolutely no pain at all. Then at the beginning of the 3rd week, I woke up with a dull ache.  While it hasn't become stabby like it was before and it's not (yet) waking me up, it feels kind of like it did when all this started a couple years ago. He told me that it's not uncommon for a person who had let things go and get as bad as mine to need a second injection.  However, because he's conservative, he wanted me to try a prescription anti-inflammatory to see if it controlled the pain at night - which is the only time I have it.  If not, paperwork is all set and all I have to do is call and I can have a second injection. I'm not really a great pill taker and especially not too fond of strong anti-inflammatories.  I also don't want to be on any sort of medication like that long term, but I'm willing to wait and see what happens.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My morning runs are all in the dark now.  Depending on the route I take, I need to wear a headlamp - not my favorite thing to do but necessary to avoid the bumps, cracks, iron hangers, acorns and other miscellaneous stuff in the road and on the sidewalks.  I'm also back to wearing my reflective vest every day, hoping to avoid all the idiots who think because it's dark they don't have to stop at red lights or stop signs.  Defensive running rules the day now. I think the thing I miss the most is getting to see the sun rise.  We've had some real pretty ones this year.  This morning after showering and going downstairs to get my lunch together, I opened the window shade that looks out onto the patio.  The patio was glowing pink.  I grabbed my phone and ran outside because I just knew it had to be a beautiful sunrise.  Great way to start the week!

Photo taken with no filter

11 comments:

  1. Im so so so ready for the time change!
    my morning walks are SOOOO DARK I need to bring glowsticks along :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even with the time change, I'll still be in the dark. I reallly only get a couple of months of running where I don't start or end or have my whole run in the dark.

      Delete
  2. We are having Indian summer this week (is that term appropriate anymore??) - 90 degrees for the high...ugh. Kinda ready for some sort of cool down, although you would love it, I'm sure!

    As for your sucky run, welcome to the Saturday club. I think it was just an off day for everyone, country-wide. At least that's my story. ;)

    Beautiful pottery piece and how nice that you and the future in-laws got along so well! Hopefully they will pick a date soon - I'm sure the planner in you would appreciate that, lol!

    Don't you feel like you've been there, done that with Rx anti-inflammatories? I'd almost be like "just give me the injection" at this point. Hopefully your back pain will be back to nothing very soon!

    Oh, and that was a gorgeous sunrise! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Helen and I were just discussing yesterday if we should think of these few summery days as Indian summer!

      Yes, I want them to decide on wedding size and venue so at least that much will be settled enough for me to start looking for a dress lol!

      Delete
  3. This weekend was so amazing, wasn't it?

    I am a huge pottery lover. I don't buy tons, but I always go to pottery stores and at craft shows those are the booths I always stop at. I expecially love the blue color.

    I would definitely try that antiinflammatory course. You must just need that nudge to quiet stuff down to put off getting a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too with the pottery love - poor Mr. Helen has been made to stop at way too many places.

      I am trying the anti-inflammatory because he said this will show if it's just some residual inflammation that needs to calm down - if so this will do the trick.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful sunrise! Not sure why, but we don't get sunrises like that here. Maybe its the trees??

    I think I admire you people who will run in the dark. I have a hard time going out in the cold. For sure I'd never go out when its still dark!

    Hope the pills will work for you. I didn't realize the shot was supposed to be a permanent solution. How do those things work? (the nurse in me likes to understand stuff like that)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we get those sunrises/sunsets because of the ocean, but maybe I'm wrong.

      The shot is supposed to be a long term solution, if not permanent. Some people get one-two shots and never have the pain again. Others start with shots and end up in surgery, depending on where the shot is being administered. It's sort of like when you get a really bad case of bronchitis and it won't calm down, they'll put you on prednisone. The shot is supposed to calm the back down and let you feel "normal" whatever that is.

      Delete
  5. I love your weekend! Perfect blend of rest/family/fun! Too bad about the run, but it's only one run. And you know I am a sucker for any time of sunset/sunrise/cloud pics! :D

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a warm weekend too, still warm now but more rain. It's been extremely warm for the time of year.

    I totally hear you on running in the dark. I am in the same place right now. My pet peeve is not the cars but the stupid bikers who don't ride with light on early in the morning. Luckily for them I'm like a running Christmas tree with my lights and reflection vest, otherwise there would be nasty bump in to each other.

    I admire you so much for having the energy to pick up a second job for the next 3 years at least. I don't even want to think about that for myself at this age. I know why you do it but still admire you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sunrise shot is GORGEOUS! I'm so excited for Little Helen, her finace and you!!! And what a beautiful piece of pottery. Have a wonderful week Helen!!!

    ReplyDelete