Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The Beginning of Meteorologic Fall (and Mine As Well)

Hope everyone had a nice end to unofficial summer aka meteorological summer.  We have had a strangely cooler with lower humidity than normal summer here on the east coast.  If you don't believe me, look at the headline from this past Sunday's paper!


However, this week it seems summer might just linger until calendar summer ends on September 21st.  We are in the midst of one of the hottest/humidist weeks yet lol!  I guess summer wants to go out with a bang.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had last Friday off from work, which made for an extra long weekend for me and I enjoyed every minute of it!  I got up and had coffee as usual (but at 7 am instead of 4 am) and perused my workout which called for 60 minutes of cardio(run, walk, bike, swim, jog, or row) and then some bodyweight exercises.  It was probably 8:15 before I got out and within minutes the traffic was driving me nuts. I'm spoiled by my early morning, quiet runs I guess.  So, I routed myself to run through our cemetery. It's really lovely in there with paved roads, only the occasional car, and lots of shade from the trees. I especially love this area at what I call the bottom of the cemetery.  There is a pretty pond with a fountain and there are benches if someone wants to just sit quietly and reflect.


Right after I looped around the fountain area, in my peripheral vision, I saw a leaf sort of jump. Honestly I was afraid it might be a snake but I slowed and looked and it was a baby turtle! That's the first one I've seen this summer.


As I ran back towards the entrance so I could head for home I spied these... what's up with this? Is anyone else noticing that leaves seem to be changing earlier this year?  I swear I've seen some burning bushes that look like it should be October.  Maybe it has something to do with our short, cool, dry summer?


It was a lovely run and made the 60 minutes fly by.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is what I was looking at, at 4:15 this morning.  As we say in martial arts, "Last One, Best One!"


That's right, today was the last workout of Neila Rey's 30 Days of Change.  I almost can't believe I did it, but my body is definitely letting me know I worked out out 30 days straight with no rest days. On all of those days I managed to stay with Level II and a few times I did the Level III reps - I am very proud of myself. Granted  as while some of the workouts felt easier (almost 'restful'), there were some really hard workouts in there too.

What is interesting to me is that even though it seemed I was running and walking less than I had been prior to the program, I actually ended up running and walking more. All those shorter runs added up: this last week, I did a bit over 24 miles!  I haven't run that sort of mileage since I was training for races.

Though I generally stay off the scale, I wanted some way to measure this month's progress, so on day one I stepped on my Zero Scale and took some measurements. Here are the results - all achieved without me changing one single thing about the way I eat:
  • I lost 5.6 pounds!  Had I been weighing myself weekly, that slow loss would have made me crazy but to step on 30 days later and see that, I was really happily surprised. And because I used the Zero Scale I still don't have any idea what I weigh as I continue to refuse to be defined by 3 numbers.
  • I lost 2 inches off my upper abdomen/rib cage
  • I lost 1 inch off my waist
  • I lost 1.25 inches off my hips
  • I lost 1 inch off each of my thighs
I wish I'd measured my arms but I didn't for some reason  - now I have and will have something to look at in the future.

Also, I saw my pacing decrease:  I took about 30 seconds per mile off of each of my walking, walk-run, and running paces.  I'm sure it is due to increased leg strength.

This makes me very motivated to keep it going.  Rather than repeating the 30 day challenge, I am going to do her 90 Days of Action Bodyweight Training. The difference with this program is that she does not give any walking, running, swimming, jogging instructions - any cardio included is bodyweight based.  Of course, I will still do my running and/or walking as looking at the program I feel I can still do the workouts and get a bit of running in the hour or so I have to exercise each day. However, this time around I am going to take an occasional all out rest day, which will make the program last a bit longer than 90 days but that's fine as it will take me well into December. Perfect timing.

18 comments:

  1. Congrats on the loss of pounds and inches! You're right...weighing less often makes a slower weight loss pretty exciting! Not changing what you eat is a double bonus! What a lovely and interesting place to run. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always maintained that I eat healthy. I think this proves it since as you know I recently made the decision to stop dieting.

      Delete
  2. Wow girl! The program worked so well for you, congrats on all the results, so happy for you. And 30 days straight: I take a deep bow for you! Well done.

    After a warm July but a very wet and cold August we are having some nice Summer weather at last too and here it also looks good till real Autumn start. So lets enjoy the last days of summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to summer - I am in no hurry for cold, wet, grey weather.

      Delete
  3. I agree, it's much nicer to see a 5 pound loss than those blastedly slow 1 pounders each week. Congratulations on having such a good month! Love that you've found a good approach of eating and exercising that is working so well for you.

    I walked around our cemetery once, but even that felt a little strange - almost intrusive? Not sure I would run in ours, but each location is different.

    Oh, and as for the shorter summer, I agree - we haven't even hit 100 degrees yet! Which is A-OK with me...99 is hot enough, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I only weighed myself out of curiosity - in reality I'm much more excited about the fact that I've found something that is shrinking me inches wise that I actually enjoy doing!

      Delete
  4. Baby turtle!!!

    It is feeling a little fall-ish here too--cooling down so nicely at night, and cold enough for a robe in the morning! Love it.

    Congrats on the weight loss. But man…30 straight days of exercise…I'm tired just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, what can I say? Once I make my mind up, I stick to my plan. Still the last couple of days it was tempting to take a rest day lol! As for the weight loss, I wasn't even looking for that so it was a bonus. I'm just happy I'm feeling stronger and healthier.

      Delete
  5. Woo hoo for your progress Helen!!

    We have had a wet summer overall, but great weekend weather. I don't think it could have been planned better. We have had some super cool nights almost into the 40s and I have seen one tree that has turned a lot so far, but that tree always turns early for some reason. My burning bush is actually starting to change. We are getting that heat and humidity as well this week. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a dry summer but I would say the whole month of August, most of our weekends were wet. It was frustrating for the beach loving me. I'm hoping to get a couple more beach days in though - fingers crossed.

      I'm so excited to see what happens in 90 days, now that I've seen the magic of 30.

      Delete
  6. Great job Helen!! I was so lazy this weekend - I have no idea when I have all the time in the world I don't work out - and then days that I work I squeeze it in - crazy!

    We've only turned our air on 3 times all summer, that's a record!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had read somewhere that the Chicago area had an extraordinarily cool summer as well. I thought our weather was much more like San Diego - moderate and not humid. I loved it, but I also love the hot humid stuff because I love summer!

      Delete
  7. congrats! tortoise and the hare, tortoise and the hare... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY!!! Congrats on the inches an pounds!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome results! That's fantastic. I'm going to check out the workouts. I'm trying to find more body weight exercises I can do at home.

    ReplyDelete