Friday, September 12, 2014

The Secret I've Been Keeping

It has been 11 years since I've worked more than one job and I'm about to take on a second job again. I stopped working that job because when I got my current full time job my boss often wanted me to work overtime (which would make me late for the second job) and since I didn't want to inconvenience anyone and my full time job was my bread and butter job, I let the second job go.  I've always said, if I had to work a part-time job again for any reason, I'd like to go back to that job, which was working at the customer service desk at the local mall.  Generally, I'm not much of a people person but for some reason, I always really liked that job. Call me crazy, but when I recently realized I needed to look for some part-time work, I started visualizing myself in that job again - just like I'd been taught in our wellness workshop.  I even made a graphic and uploaded it to my vision board. On the practical side, I started looking to see if there were any openings.  This has been going on for all of July, most of August and into September.  I went and picked up applications at other places but just didn't have the heart to apply for any other jobs. At the end of August, I decided I'd look one more time, and if the job wasn't listed I would just have to apply to work at Marshall's or Home Goods or some other retail establishment.  Of course you know what's coming - it was listed!  I immediately filled out the on-line application and then followed it up with a phone call to the Guest Services Manager who asked me to come in for an interview.  They finally called me this week and offered me a position as a "Guest Services Associate" and I will start next week. The best news is that they are pretty much letting me work exactly when I want to, meaning I will get to keep my one shared off day with Mr. Helen, and the manager is quite understanding about me maybe needing entire weekends off occasionally.

There are many reasons why I decided to take on part-time work again, including the fact that Mr. Helen is seriously talking retirement in a couple of years and we have some definite financial goals we want to make before that happens.  Additionally, next year Mr. Helen turns 60 and I want to throw him a party, plus in a couple more years we will celebrate our 25th anniversary and want to do something special for that.  A little more income will speed things along.  But the reason that finally pushed me to seriously look again is related to the secret I've been keeping...

Little Helen is engaged to be married!!  We've actually known since the end of July (she called while we were in the Hamptons visiting my sister) but they asked us to keep it quiet until they had told some friends personally.  Now that they've done that and the engagement announcement will be in the paper on Sunday, I can share my good news with my blogging friends.

All the romantics/traditionalists will love this... he actually drove to our house on July 5th when he happened to be in Connecticut (and Little Helen was off on a girl trip) to ask us for her hand in marriage.  Then he told us he was designing her ring with a family jeweler.  She has a moral objection to diamonds ever since she saw the movie Blood Diamond so he had to be creative. Here is her gorgeous ring - it's blue and white sapphires.

She got quite the romantic proposal too - he took her to an inn at the Jersey Shore and proposed on the beach.  He even had flowers put in the room for their stay!



So, we are planning a wedding, possibly for about a year from now, and that's why I'm going to work a part-time job.  We probably can't pay for the entire wedding but we want to help - it's totally worth it to work a little extra to help this happy couple!


Of course, with all this extra activity in my life, I have no idea how it's going to affect writing Doing A 180. Please bear with me as I adjust to all my regular responsibilities and chores at home, two jobs outside my home, and wedding planning!

16 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Little Helen - what a stunning couple they are! Wonderful news about your perfect job coming back into your life. It's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATS CONGRATS LITTLE HELEN!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! You're going to be VERY busy!! It's life, isn't it? You're living, beautifully! Love the picture of Little Helen and her fiance!! Congrats to those two!! And you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy news, happy news!!! Congratulations to the sweet couple, and to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to all, Helen. My daughter got married 2 months ago, and what a joyous life event it was, in ways too numerous to count. Little Helen and the soon to be Mister are a beautiful couple indeed! And having lived the year prior to the July '14 wedding, I assure you that you will be happy with every extra cent you have!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to all of you! Little Helen and her fiance' are a lovely couple. I can tell that you're excited, and you're also a wonderful mother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wondered if it wasn't an engagement! Congratulations and the ring is gorgeous! I love colorful rings.

    Congrats on your job as well. I know how hard it is to work 2 jobs, so you have to be happy at them for it to work. Glad you got waht you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful news. Thanks for sharing. Congratulationg to all of you! Those are definitely goals that are worth a second job. Wish I could get motivated to do that. I find myself turning down all those substitute teaching calls I get. It's just easier to sit here at home.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you do have a lot on your plate! Congrats to your daughter - the ring is absolutely gorgeous.

    I know how hard it is to work two jobs, but I know you can do it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAY!!! Congrats to Little Helen!! And congrats to you for getting the part time job that you had envisioned yourself in!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations. This is a very exciting and happy time for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! That's such a great news.

    I hope you don't mind me asking but don't they both have a very well paid job? I mean, it's not common here anymore that parents pay for a weddding and to be honest I don't think you should either if they make enough money themselves. It is common here though that the parents of the bride buy the wedding dress but even that most people buy for themselves. Just curious here.

    I hope you will like your second job and hope it isn't too hard for you next to your other job. As for the blog: write when you have time and want too. I'm not going anywhere.

    Again congratulations and have fun at your new job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That ring is to die for! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! The engagement ring is stunning and what a sweet engagement story. Best of luck with your new job. I'm so glad it's something you enjoy doing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. BIG BIG Congratulations to Little Helen and your soon to be son in law!!!! VERY VERY happy news indeed!!!! (my engagement ring is blue sapphire as well....) And congrats on the job too Helen!!! BIG YAY for your whole family!!!!!

    ReplyDelete