2. I did experience some of the side effects of the steroid as well - some flushing/warming which felt similar to a hot flash but not quite as intense and I also felt a bit jittery 2 days in. That might also have been contributing to my inability to just sleep. But my back is feeling so much better I am willing to work through this.
3. Workouts have been a bit challenging because I've developed a mild case of shin splints. I haven't had those since I first began running in 2003. I guess they've come on just because I have so drastically changed and upped the intensity of my workouts. Even just walking it takes my legs a bit to warm up and for me not to feel the shin splints - but I'm working on them. My cryocup has been my best friend lately. I wish I'd thought to invent that thing as it is a miracle worker - ice and massage at the same time!
4. After telling Mr. Helen I absolutely, positively was not going to make dinner on Friday night, I came home and made pizza. SIGH. Honestly, I think it was because I went grocery shopping before I came home from work and the sticker shock got to me. Plus I knew we would be getting takeout on Saturday. Pizza was good even though I didn't want to make it.
5. On Saturday I decided to combine 2 days of my Neila Rey workouts because as I said before, I am looking for a rest day a week. One of the workouts was more of a stretching workout and the other was to do squats. So I went out an ran in the crazy
6. I've been feeling thinner and so I decided to try on a dress I hadn't been able to get into all summer. I had figured that I needed to lose about 10 pounds to get back into it but since I'm not weighing myself again until the end of my 90 day challenge, I didn't have that as a measurement to work from. But, I've been feeling thinner. Maybe it's the inches lost, maybe I lost more weight in the last week but whatever - it fit - WOOT! It was a delightful outfit to wear in Saturday's humidity.
7. Overnight Saturday the humidity broke and we woke up to gloriously blue skies and sunshine. It would have been a great day to work out but I took my first day of rest in 35 straight days. And I thoroughly enjoyed it! Mr. Helen had the day off so we decided to have a few hours at the beach. I'm guessing it will be one of, if not our very last beach day this year. The weather folks are already predicting we'll need sweatshirts by the weekend.
8. I don't know what has happened to old Helen but I know there's a new Helen in town. I jerked awake Monday morning and it was 5:30! That's a whole hour and a half late for me to get up. I jumped up, changed into workout clothes and went downstairs - and the coffee maker hadn't turned on automatically! I decided I was not going to let the powers that were trying to ruin the start of my week win, so I turned on the coffee pot, grabbed my Neila Rey workout for the day and spent 25 minutes doing that. Yes, it meant I had to do my cardio after work (which I'm so not a fan of) but the fact that I chose the Body Weight Training over cardio? That's pretty much a miracle. The fact that I worked out at all when my normal routine was completely out of whack is a miracle too. Usually I would have waited for the coffee and vegged on the sofa until 6 am then gotten in the shower. There's definitely a new Helen in town.
9. I've been craving a Reuben Sandwich. Last Friday while grocery shopping I went so far as to buy lean corned beef and Swiss cheese with the intention of having a panini for dinner. As I was unpacking groceries I realized I forgot to buy rye or pumpernickel bread and I could not bring myself to make it on any other kind. Problem solved: Monday for lunch, I made a basic salad with lettuce, spinach, tomatoes and cucumbers, then topped it with the corned beef and Swiss and a good Russian dressing. This salad was so good!
10. I've got a big secret I'm busting to share but can't quite yet... now aren't you dying to know?