Thursday, October 9, 2014

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger

I did this workout on Wednesday:

5 pushups - 5 squats
5 pushups - 10 squats
5 pushups - 15 squats
5 pushups - 20 squats
5 pushups - 15 squats
5 pushups - 10 squats

Repeat five times with up to 2 minutes of rest in between rounds.  I decided instead of resting by doing nothing between rounds, I would hop on my treadmill and walk for 2 minutes between rounds. When all the rounds were finished, I ran to make my total distance 2 miles.  The entire workout took me 50 minutes.

While sitting at my desk on Wednesday afternoon, I started feeling achey in both legs just above my knees. Wondered why that was and then realized it was probably the squats.  So I added everything up and saw I'd done 150 pushups and 375 squats over the course of the 5 rounds!!!

Surprisingly, though they felt worked out, my legs were not all that sore today which proves to me I am definitely getting stronger.  I've been doing various Neila Rey programs for 68 days now and I'm thrilled with the results I'm getting, especially with my upper body.  It's really starting to shape up.

I'm also seeing some new definition in my ab area.  I told Mr. Helen that if I can just get the fat off my mid-section, there are real abs under there.

Having said that, I'm frustrated with the fact that my clothing size isn't changing.  As I am staying off a scale and not on a hard core diet, that really is the only way I'll know if I'm losing weight.  I continue to eat healthy and just feel like I should be getting much better results in this area than I am.  I suppose the only thing that doesn't drive me right back into a diet/calorie counting/tracking mode is that every time I think about doing that it makes me feel a bit crazed.

Also making me feel edgy is an acquaintance who started a locally well known but very, very strict diet program.  She asked me if I wanted to join with her and even as I was explaining to her that I have no intention of ever doing that sort of dieting again in my life, I was thinking I "What the hell?!!! Do I look fat to you? Are you telling me I need to diet?"  Asking someone to support your own efforts is one thing but this was another altogether. I just don't think, unless you are BFF's with someone, that you should be asking them to diet.  To add insult to injury after her first weigh-in she let me know that she lost 8 pounds her first week and then asked me how much I'd lost.  Jeepers!  I just calmly told her I'm not getting on a scale right now.  Maybe I should have asked her if she thinks I should.

This is a person whose daily eating went something like this: a Nutrigrain bar and a Coke for breakfast, takeout of some sort every single day for lunch, a bag of chips, candy bar and another Coke for snack and then at least 4-5 days more takeout for dinner.  So, even as my brain reasoned that OF COURSE she lost 8 pounds eating healthier (and around 1100 calories a day), I was a teensy bit jealous.  Not to mention that she doesn't exercise regularly!

Yeah, it all makes me feel a bit wonky.  Even though I know I'm doing the right things, it gets harder and harder to even want to do that when the results just aren't coming yet.  Even as I try to just love and accept myself and my hardworking body exactly as I am right this minute, I don't want to be fat and fit, I want to be two sizes smaller and fit dammit!

18 comments:

  1. I hear ya. I am always jealous whenever I hear someone has lost 8 pounds in one week.

    And I will say that I know 100% that I can and will gain weight eating only 100% healthy whole foods. Its a talent, what can I say? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost think more than jealous I'm annoyed at it all. Just seems so unfair! Wah!

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear that your Neila Ray is going well for you. As for diet, I can lose weight on junk food or healthy food. I guess for me it's all about the calories. I mostly stay away from junk, however, because it can be addicting for me if I eat too much or too regularly. As for those very restrictive, fast weight loss programs, such as M.F., I have yet to know of anyone who has kept their weight off afterward. I tried it for about a week, and their food gave me intestinal problems from all the fiber, which led to some serious G.I. issues. I have to stay away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree about the strict diets - they are not realistic and most everyone I know starts gaining weight when they start reintroducing other foods back in.

      Delete
  3. More power to you for doing all those squats - they just hurt me, so I don't do them at all. You ARE getting super strong; and I'm sure things will change soon, but I hear ya on the frustration of waiting. Also, you coworker is a B for asking you to join and then asking you how much you lost. B to the max!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have a lot of issues with both squats and lunges but then had a personal trainer correct my form and give me some tips. Don't get me wrong, they hurt when you first start doing them and I really have to pay attention to form but as long as I'm careful I'm fine. And yes, a mean B at that!

      Delete
  4. Next time she asks how much you lost, say "Whatever a ton of baggage weighs because I don't diet anymore".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this. I am so using it on the very next person!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm truly loving the Neila Rey workouts. You probably would too having done crossfit.

      Delete
  6. Great job with the work out. I am with you on the struggle to be smaller. I celebrate your fitness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am very happy with my fitness too!

      Delete
  7. I second what Shelly said what kind of nasty catty women does that? Avoid her if you can. I admire your dedication to your family, your friends, your jobs, and yes your workouts but you are so much more than your dress size or you what you weigh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know it doesn't help "in the moment", but try to find peace in knowing that at the end of it all you'll be toned and fit and you won't have had to starve yourself to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, if it makes you feel any better Helen, a woman I work with did gastric bypass surgery and has lost 100 pounds. She never changed a thing about her diet, it just took her longer to eat it. So she would bring in a double cheeseburger, cut it into tiny bite size pieces and by the end of the day it was all gone.

    She doesn't exercise - this morning she has a Chipotle burrito bowl for breakfast and she brought me her Shape magazines to have because "she doesn't need them anymore." Gah!

    Keep doing what you are doing, otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. put the metaphorical blinders on...and do you. old coke and nutrigrain gal will take that weight off...and put that shit right back on...because to her, it's a diet. It's something you do till you are 'normal'..and you can eat again. understanding this is a life long trail.....now that is an accomplishment. Don't envy the human dieting boomerang. Just duck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW girl, that was a serious workout, very impressed!

    Don't be jealous of her, you know as well as I do that as soon as she starts eating normal again she will gain again :) These diets don't work, you know it and I know it. What you are doing will give results that will last.

    And you don't ask people if they want to go on a diet with you, this is something very personal that everyone has to decide for themselves. I would be annoyed if someone would ask me that.

    ReplyDelete