Monday, November 10, 2014

Best Ever White Chicken Chili

The weather is definitely turning with much cooler nights and bright sunny days for the most part.  We've actually had a couple of days that could qualify as winter weather as well, including this past Saturday. When I went out to run at 8:30 in the morning, it hadn't even hit 40 degrees yet.  Color me surprised then when I ran past this!

Yep, a November Hydrangea hanging in there.  What with the freezing temperatures we had overnight the past couple of nights and that arctic air that's in the midwest heading this way, I'd say they'll be gone the next time I go by.

Cool weather always makes me want soup and heartier food in general.  I really struggle with getting fruits in this time of year as well, since I tend to like summer fruits.  Since Thanksgiving is on the way, cranberries have been on sale and I thought why not make a batch of fresh cranberry relish to serve as my fruit.  It has been working out well - I love this combination of apples, pineapple, orange and cranberries - delicious all by itself or sometimes I put it over a bit of plain yogurt.

I also attempted a White Chicken Chili - a soup I've never made before.  I looked up a bunch of recipes online and sort of mixed them together to come up with a batch that would give me 4-6 servings as I knew Mr. Helen wouldn't eat it and I didn't want to have lots leftover.  If I do say so myself, this was super easy - ready in about 35 minutes and oh so tasty!

Best Ever White Chicken Chili
serves 4-6
  • 16 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 4 cups chicken stock ( I like Kitchen Basics brand)
  • 1  small can white beans (Cannellini Beans), do not drain
  • 1 small can diced green chilis, do not drain
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • ½ teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
Put the chicken stock in a dutch oven or large sauce pan.  Add the chicken breasts and bring to a boil then lower heat to medium and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until cooked through and tender.

Remove chicken to plate and shred with two forks.

In a small skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat then add the onion and garlic to saute until clear.  Add in 1 tsp dried oregano and saute until fragrant.

Add the onion mixture, white beans, chilis, cumin, chili powder, and black pepper back to stock.  Bring to a boil, add shredded chicken then lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes to blend flavors.

Notes: I used regular chicken stock so I felt the soup was plenty salty.  This is delicious with some tortilla chips crumbled into it as "crackers."  Other add-ins could be shredded cheddar cheese, diced avocado, chopped cilantro - so many possibilities.

So easy and delicious!


12 comments:

  1. That does look really tasty. And the quick and easy part I like too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your chili looks great - plus it sounds filling without being super heavy, if that makes sense. We're going to get that polar air soon and I was already thinking about making beef stew, but I'll have to look at your chili recipe again...might do that instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say this chili is as filling as beef stew but not as heavy or hard to digest. It really is delicious!

      Delete
  3. Is that your hydrangea? It's beautiful!

    I bet that chili would be good in the crock pot melding flavors all day, too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not my hydrangea. That's almost my dream plant, but we literally have no room in our teeny, tiny yard for one.

      Delete
  4. That is a really good looking soup!

    I see some hydrangea's here too that still have flowers although most of them are done for the season. But if I see one still blooming it always makes me smile because of the color in the darker days we have now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The white chicken chili sounds so good! I wonder how it would be without beans, since I can no longer have them, due to digestive issues. I may try it without, because I love chili!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would love the chili flavor in this for sure. What I might suggest is that you may want to add a tsp. or two of corn starch into the broth. The liquid from the beans and the beans themselves seem to thicken the broth a bit.

      Delete
  6. I had to go through my archives to confirm - yep, I've never made a white chicken chili! Sans the onions, I am definitely going to try this one.

    This morning when I left the house at 6:30 a.m. it was 55 degrees and balmy - by the time I got to my office at 8:45, it had already dropped 25 degrees. So not ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard you guys are in for some really cold weather - and then it will come our way!

      Delete
  7. Ive never made chilli BUT you had me at my fave white beans and CHICKEN
    and it's getting cold here in NoCal.
    and it's time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The chili looks DELICIOUS Helen. Perfect for colder days. Have a wonderful weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete