Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Talking Turkey

This is how much daughters control their fathers.  For years Mr. Helen's youngest sister has been hosting Thanksgiving at her house.  Each year she asks us to come, however, we live an hour away so we have to choose between going there or staying with my side who all live within a 15 minute radius from us.  I was willing to swap off each year but every year when I'd ask he would reply that he wanted to stay closer to home.  This year, Little Helen informed us that she and her fiance would be spending Thanksgiving with his family - who happen to live about 15 minutes from my sister-in-law.  She then says, "You know dad, if you would just be willing to go to Auntie's house this year, you'd get to see us."  He immediately replied, "Ohhhhhh.  OK Pumpkin, whatever you want, we'll go to Aunties."  Seriously?!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking of the approaching holidays, my company closes the offices for the day after Thanksgiving, meaning you don't have to report to work.  However, it's not a paid day unless you are salaried or if hourly, use a vacation/personal day.  Of course if you don't want to do that, you're welcome to come to work but not required to.  My boss just told me that he is going to do the same for Christmas this year since it falls on a Thursday.  Color me deliriously happy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's some good news what with the holiday eating frenzy approaching:  You can't gain wait from overeating for just one day. This is probably the same thing that comes into play when someone is actually dieting and they have a cheat day they continue to lose weight.  On a personal level, having lived with Mr. Helen for well over 20 years now, and watching him eat/overeat/undereat, I know it's true.  You really don't gain weight from overeating just one day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't believe Thanksgiving is a little over a week away.  I feel completely unprepared for it this year - a combination of working my part-time job and just not having as much free time to do things and the fact that I'm not making one single thing I would normally make.  Since we're going to my sister-in-laws, she called and told me what she wanted me to bring and yeah, I'm on the hunt for recipes. Guess what Debby?  NO PUMPKIN CAKE this year, unless I somehow find the time to make it just for me and Little Helen.

Hey who knows, maybe I'll find some fantastic creative recipe for Butternut Squash that I can share here after it's all said and done.

Speaking of recipes, stay tuned if you like curry.  Over the last 18 months or so, I've developed a Crockpot Beef Curry that will make you want to slap your mama.  Even Mr. Helen, who can be hesitant when it comes to curries, absolutely loves this one.  As I now feel it's nearly perfected, I thought I'd share it as an antidote to all the turkey coming up!

Finally, here's my yearly reminder:

16 comments:

  1. My Dad would have responded the same as Little Helen if I would asked him something like this :) At least for you it's a Thanksgiving without less pressure now you don't have to cook that much, must be nice for you.

    As you know we have many more vacation days here in Holland than in the USA so the company closing some days is common here. We celebrate Christmas for 2 days in Holland (Thursday and Friday) which are holidays. But my company is closed on January 2nd (January 1 is a holiday too) and so is R's. I have so many days left that my last working day of 2014 is on December 18 and I won't have to go back until January 5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally wish the USA would go onto the European holiday system! I am going to take January 2 as a vacation day so I will also have that off but I am jealous of your weeks off

      Delete
  2. That Mr. Helen is a sweet guy who loves his daughter! Good for him! I feel much the same as you...unready for this holiday...but somehow it always comes together. Have a wonderful day, Helen. And enjoy the family and especially your daughter and future son-in-law. Glad you will have some days off for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane, I am wishing the same for you and your family!

      Delete
  3. LOL, even before I saw that sentence with my name in it, I was thinking, "oh no, don't tell me, no pumpkin cake??" Maybe I'll make it this year! And hey! I have one word for you: butternut squash + garam masala. Okay, that's four words. But I just made a simple dish, my first time to use garam masala, and I can't stop thinking about it! I'll post my simple recipe later, but I'm sure you can find a fancier recipe somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giiiirrrrrl, there is garam masala in that curry recipe I am going to post....

      Oh, cooking is just So. Much. Pressure. when it's the in-laws!

      Delete
  4. I don't even know if Tony will be home for Thanksgiving, so I haven't given it a single thought. Although when I was working out yesterday, Michael Symon did a side dish that I wished I had somewhere to go so I could make it - it seemed really easy too! Sweet Potato Sausage Casserole - its a Thanksgiving side dish and it looked amazing.

    http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/sweet-potato-sage-sausage-casserole-michael-symon

    Thanks for continued good thoughts our way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might have seen that same cooking show! That does sound delish.

      I certainly hope someone invites you for Thanksgiving if Tony is in the hospital. I would if we lived closer together..

      Delete
  5. I loves me some curry! Between Fran's blog about stew and now you mentioning curry - with this cold weather I need a dish that will warm me up from the inside.

    I don't have to work on Thanksgiving, although I could if I wanted to. We always go to my sister's house for Tday. They like to go hunting that morning and in the afternoon, so it is just easier to have the dinner there so they can come and go when they want.

    I will work on the day after Tday. We really have no days off in the transcription world - like the medical world. Hospitals stay open. It will be light work,however, since the clinics I cover will be closed. Sometimes those can be busy days, though, since some doctors use a down day to catch up on many days' worth of dictations.

    ...end novel...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Write your novel girl. LOL. I immediately thought of you with this curry but then you wrote that John is going vegetarian so I'm thinking you won't make this... but honestly it's delicious and would be freezer worthy even in you froze portions just for yourself!

      Delete
  6. Thanksgiving has always been low-key for us, and this year we'll be down one kid, although I'll still cook the same amount of food, LOL. We like leftovers, what can I say??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummmmmmm, I guess I didn't mention that I make a turkey breast and gravy even though we go elsewhere for Thanksgiving. We love the leftovers too!

      Delete
    2. LOL, that's what I'm going to do for myself too (make my own leftovers :) )

      Delete
    3. Great minds, great minds... :)

      Delete
  7. I've never worked for a company that didn't give the day after Thanksgiving as a paid holiday. Aren't I fortunate?

    My family is doing something completely different this year: we're going to the beach! Well, to the coast. It's not going to be a tropical experience, since the temps will be too cool, but if there's water and sunshine, I'm all for it. :)

    ReplyDelete