Monday, December 15, 2014

Monday Meandering

I had a nearly perfect winter run this morning.  It was only 25 degrees, but there was no wind, which is a miracle.  Once I started running, I heated up fast and just really enjoyed it.  I say nearly perfect because the only thing that would have made it better would have been sunshine.  But there's not even sunrise at the time I'm running!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking of running, our friend Shelley did the half marathon she's been training for and rocked it!  No injuries during the training season and no issues during the race!  Afterward, in a Facebook thread she and one of her buddies were talking about how their Garmins showed 13.3+ miles instead of 13.1.

As I mentioned to Amy, Garmins themselves have a +/- percentage of error, always. Then there's the fact that unless you can figure out how to run the course exactly as it was measured, you'll see a difference.  This morning I was reminded that the satellites that we get our GPS from have something to do with it as well.  They must reposition them or something because the loop I ran and which always measures 3.12-3.17 miles, measured 3.07 this morning.  Of course to get satisfaction, I had to run until I hit 3.1.  Only a runner cares about that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The late shifts have started at the mall for me.  I was home by 10:30 last Thursday but could. not. sleep.  I was pretty wiped out on Friday.  Thankfully I only have two more late shifts like that - tonight and the 23rd.  I am a bit concerned about the shift on the 23rd though as it's the last full evening of shopping before Christmas (the mall closes at 6 pm on Christmas Eve) and I'm working all by myself. Yikes!

Here's why:  Part of my job at the guest services desk is to sell Visa and American Express gift cards, as well as the pre-loaded gift cards for various stores.  Yesterday during my 6 hour shift I did $8,000 in sales.  Think about that.  Nearly half of that amount was cash and the rest was charges.  At the end of my shift I had to reconcile all that, plus account for all my gift cards left, not to mention the voids I had.  It usually takes me about 10 minutes to reconcile and cash out.  Yesterday it took me 40.

With the mall closing at 10:30, I suspect by the time I cash out, it will be 11:30 - or even later - before I'm home.  Thank goodness this madness only lasts for a couple of weeks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kristen, who occasionally writes at Low Fat Dressing, tried my Crockpot Bolognese recipe over the weekend and loved it!  I'm telling you, if you're busy, give this method a try.  The sauce is delicious and you can be wrapping gifts - or as in Lori's case, doing house rehab while it cooks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last night Barbara Walters did her most fascinating people of 2014 special.  One of her choices was Oprah Winfrey.  I don't remember the exact wording of the question but Barbara asked Oprah even with all she's done, when she would feel like she was settled or accomplished.  Oprah answered not until she made peace with her weight issues.  

Seriously, that totally and completely fascinates ME.  Rich and famous people, they're just like us.



13 comments:

  1. Oh I hope I can watch the BW special on Hulu!

    So your running in 25 degree weather, I'm thinking to myself, NO WAY would I do that. But then I remembered that I got in the pool yesterday in 50 degree weather :) Pick your poison, right?

    Your description of your job kinda piqued my interest. I think I would like all that counting and money. Not the late hours, though.

    Still got your bolognese recipe on my wish list. Just gotta eat down some of the food I've already got! Also, I briefly read "in Lori's case, drug house rehab." LOLOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You found out about my secret meth lab, Debby...

      Delete
    2. I didn't mean to spill Lori's secret :)

      Pick your poison is correct but even I am getting to be a bit more conservative about running conditions than I used to be. Still, 25 and no wind is ok by me.

      Delete
  2. That was the hardest part when I was a restaurant manager 8 years ago - reconciling all the money, the servers money, tips, payouts to bus people - it always took me 2 or 3 times longer than anyone else - I am so not good with numbers!

    Now I have to make your sauce! I should just bring all the ingredients to work and let it cook up all day. Now that it's just me, I don't feel comfortable leaving a crockpot on at home when no one is there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't have a hard time doing the reconciliation, in fact my brain sort of enjoys it. But it's just so much money right now!

      You sound like Mr. Helen about leaving the crockpot on, but that's what they were invented for. It really shouldn't get hot enough to be a concern.

      Delete
  3. I hope you balance and cash out quickly!!! (I was a bank teller when I was in university...some days it was a breeze, other days, well, not so much!!) And LOL, like Debby, I too read 'drug house rehab". Oh Debby...what were we thinking!? HA! Have a great week Helen!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mall closed at 10:30 and I was home by 11 so it was a bit easier than my weekend cashout!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the shout out and for all of your running advice over the years! :)

    I liked working retail at the jewelry store over the Christmas season, and I was very glad that I didn't have to do any of the end-of-day closing stuff when it came to the money...that is crazytime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're running great this season Shelley and I'm so happy for you.

      Delete
  5. I have everything to make the sauce, except the bologna :D

    Years ago when we had our retail shop, Christmas Eve was never super busy since everyone was at the mall. Our little town had a Christmas walk weekend a couple weeks before Christmas (kind of like Small Business Saturday now) - and that was mayhem! Closing the doors those nights always felt so good to be done talking and talking to all the people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a lot of money that was sold on gift cards!

    I'm like you when I run, my Garmin has to give a total number like 3.1 miles. I won't stop at 3.07 miles and if I run 3.11 I continue till it hits 3.2 miles :) When I walk Bella however I keep track of my distance too and then I don't mind the number.

    Hang in there with your late shifts, you're almost there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What you said about Oprah struck home with me. Weight loss and maintenance is something money can't buy. It's just plain hard work for everyone and worth so much more than money.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually like to run in colder weather. :-)

    I'll be thinking of you during this last crazy thrust toward Christmas and the last late shifts (shift now)

    ReplyDelete