Monday, December 29, 2014

On the Fifth Day of Christmas...

I cleaned the house then collapsed in exhaustion lol!

As I mentioned in my prior post we had four straight days of festivities from Christmas Eve to Saturday.  It looked like Santa's bag exploded in my living room on Christmas morning... as usual too many gifts exchanged, even though we said we were cutting back.  It really was a bit ridiculous.


Ridiculous but fun! In the end, we all managed to get some things we really wanted, some of which were surprises.

Ever since Shelley surprised me with a pony tail running hat, I have wanted a running jacket to match - and I got it!   Mr. Helen also bought me a Road ID, which I have been wanting for years but just never bought myself.  When the one he ordered came in, he realized he had bought the wrong size so he ordered two more bands in the right size and until I showed him, didn't realize he had managed to beautifully coordinate everything!  I told Mr. Helen that Shelley will be so proud to see this.


I also received a pair of boots I've been drooling over... so very indulgent I never expected in a million years that I'd get them.

They are so cute and warm and comfy, they are the perfect run around town doing errands type of boot.  I was astonished and Mr. Helen was happy that he surprised me so thoroughly.

I also got something I've been wanting for a long, long time from Little Helen - a Bose Bluetooth speaker.

Additionally, she decided that Mr. Helen and I were way overdue for a new sound system of some sort.  I think the fact that nearly every CD we tried to play skipped probably was a huge clue.  This also has Bluetooth capability so we are finally updated to the new technology.

I love how small and portable both of these items are so we will be able to move them around the house and out onto the patio.

Here's a shot of the appetizers we put out - Little Helen actually volunteered to make the platter up and it came out so nice.  In front of the apps are my signature Rudolph's Nose Champagne cocktail.  In the background you can see a box that has Twelve Days of Christmas appetizer plates which was a surprise gift from Little Helen.  As you know my champagne flutes are Waterford Crystal Twelve Days of Christmas as well so we each used the plate that coordinated with our glass.  Everything about this coordination appeals to the perfectionist streak in me.



Little Helen's fiance decided that he wants to have a yearly traditional photo in front of the tree.  They also managed to color coordinate again this year.

The happy couple who are making us a bit nuts by not having anything settled towards a wedding. Sigh.

As you can see from the opened gifts behind them, I could probably fill a blog or two with all the gifts, but let's just finish here by saying it was a very nice holiday.

While it was all fun and great times with family, I have to admit I was happy to wave goodbye as Mr. Helen went to work and Little Helen and her fiance went back home.

It's funny how used I have gotten to it being just Mr. Helen and me in the house.  We have a certain way that we live and even having just a couple extra people, it feels a bit crazy after a few days.  A completely different routine as well as we stay up later and sleep in later. Not bad necessarily, just different.

Once everyone was gone and I had the house to myself, it took me just about four hours to scrub things down and get the house back into some type of order.  Plus 7 loads of laundry! The Christmas decorations will actually stay up until New Year's Day this year and I'm fine with that.

Only three days until New Year's Day anyway, right? I actually love the week after Christmas leading up to the new year.  I find myself reflecting on the past and looking towards the future with bright and shiny plans... and maybe a wedding in 2015?

16 comments:

  1. What a beautiful Christmas! I can relate to the wedding situation. My oldest daughter is engaged without a date--they're saying October--but maybe March...and I'm saying, I kind of need to know!!!
    2015 is poised to be a wonderful year! Happy New Year, Helen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all depends on what sort of wedding they want as to whether or not the date really matters but they can't even seem to decide that. They are really and truly driving us NUTS with the wedding thing.

      Delete
  2. You got some great gifts for Christmas Helen. Happy to hear you had such a great Christmas.

    I'm putting down the Christmas tree tomorrow or on Wednesday morning. We always fire up the tree in the fireplace on New Year's Eve and I'm already a bit bored by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, since I wrote this I think I'm going to de-Christmas on Tuesday and Wednesday after work as I'm now hosting a brunch on New Year's Day so I need this stuff to be put away.

      I love the idea of burning the tree in a fireplace - too bad my fireplace is gas lol!

      Delete
  3. That jacket is so pretty and so YOU! Love how everything coordinates - Mr. Helen gets my *stamp* of approval. ;)

    I'm not usually a fan of UGG boots but those? Super cute! Looks like you made out quite nicely! Glad you all had a good Christmas. I get it about being ready to get a little back to normal - for me, I have one kid left here for another week, but with one gone, I was able to get a room cleaned out and a lot of laundry done yesterday, so it's feeling a little more normal...at least on one side of the house, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a doubletake the first time I saw these boots - could not believe they were UGG. I'm pretty sure they are the only UGG-brand boots I've ever liked!

      Delete
  4. Love how your Christmas turned out! And believe me, I know what you mean about having two extra people in the house, except yours left and mine are staying for who knows how long - but it's all good - I love seeing Hannah every day so I've got that going for me!

    Love the coordination - and I am sure Shelley is happy about it too! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely like to see Little Helen more but no way could she live with me for a long period of time. The house is too small for that, not to mention she has been queen of her own domain for so long, I think we'd butt heads!

      Delete
  5. Lovely gifts...lovely family...and obviously a very lovely Christmas for a lovely lady! Sounds like Little Helen has a great guy, and so do you. Best to you in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those boots are freakin' HOT!!!!! :) Love the pics, and love to you, Mr. H, Little H and her fiance! Cheers to a wonderful 2015 to you all!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those boots are sooooo awesome! They are totally me, so if you decide you don't like them - send them my way!

    When John and I got married, it was hard having my family in NY with us living in CO. We planned our entire wedding and all that stuff and my family flew out for it. Then after our honeymoon, we went to NY and my parents had a reception for us and we basically let my mom do the planning for that. We just gave her the date and okayed menu items and such. That was fun.

    You have such style for tablescaping, too.

    Here's to a fabulous 2015 for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't care what they do wedding wise, I just want them to settle on SOMETHING!

      Put those boots on your wishlist - they are so comfy I wore them all day the first time out of the box.

      Delete
  8. I, like everyone else, love the boots. I occasionally look for boots without a heel, and I like that those are shorter (good for a shorter person like me, I think.)

    I don't really know anything about the new sound technology, but I'm thinking I might need to check it out. I don't have any kind of sound system in my house now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bluetooth technology is amazing. You can put your favorite Pandora or iHeart station on with your tablet or smartphone, then pair it with your sound system and you get big stereo sound. So fun!

      Delete
  9. I'm drooling over those boots, too! They're gorgeous!

    Actually, now that I think about it, I'm drooling over all of your gifts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really was blessed with fun gifts this year.

      Delete