Friday, January 30, 2015

Buried

I'm not being a lazy blogger, we have been just literally overwhelmed with the snow that fell Monday-Wednesday. Mr. Helen was out in it for nearly 8 hours digging us out then his father.  The snow was so deep he had to walk to his father's house - even our truck couldn't get down our unplowed road. When they finally did plow, there is barely enough room for one car to get through.  I have been silently praying there are no serious medical emergencies in any of the neighborhoods where it is like this.



In this photo, on the left near the garage are our trash bins - Can't even see the recycle bin, it's under the snow..  That's how high the snow was.

In my city in particular, the kids have not been in school all week.  We have a high population of walkers and there are no sidewalks right now.  The city does not have the resources to move the snow and honestly with the narrow streets and all the cars, there is no where to put it. We are literally buried.

We didn't score Jim Cantori from the Weather Channel, but we did get a segment on CNN.  This is the city I live in.  Click on this link to see the CNN story.

In addition to sub zero temperatures, there are 3 more storms in the forecast for the next 7 days.  In fact, it's snowing right now.

I realized last night that this is the time of year, every year, when I consider just packing up and leaving. Yep, I'm thinking it again.

11 comments:

  1. Watching that news story, along with seeing your pictures? Yeah...I'd move. How people (like that woman) dig out their cars, time after time, I just cannot fathom. Remember that "NOPE" cartoon you posted? That would be me.

    Glad you guys are safe, but boy howdy, that is a crazy way to live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we bought our house my #1 requirement was that it HAD to have a driveway! Over the years I'd lived in other parts of the city where I only had street parking and I knew what it was like to have to dig out my car. Bad enough in the driveway but triple the aggravation when a plow has also pushed 2 feet of snow up against it!

      Delete
  2. That's what I say every year too Helen, why the hell do I live in a place that has all this cold and snow?!

    You guys have been really hit though - I haven't used our snow blower once yet this year, but I probably just jinxed myself by saying that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to believe you live in Chicago and haven't had to pull out your snow blower yet! Something is wrong with this picture. (Not that I'm wishing it on you lol!)

      Delete
  3. I also wonder why we live in Minnesota, as I have come to really dislike winter and everything that goes with it. But, there are many things that keep us here, the most important of which is being close to family. Also, we have pretty great summers and falls. When my husband retires, we will spent more time in better winter climates. After all the years of slogging through the snow, slipping and sliding on ice, and freezing as we go about our daily routines, we owe it to ourselves to get out during these winter months. But as for a permanent move...well Florida and Arizona are miserable in the summer, so having the best of both worlds makes sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always said if I had my druthers, we would live right here from June to December then head south for the January to June part. I love living by the ocean and appreciate the beauty of our fall season, even if it is cooler than I'd like. But this January to June bit? UGH!

      Delete
  4. I wish that snow could magically be transported to the Sierra instead. We need it out here in California!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we could send it to you as well. I know there is a terrible drought out there!

      Delete
  5. They are predicting 6-10 inches in the Chicagoland area this weekend. Now that I watched the video and see your pictures I'm not going to fret about a mere 6" or so inches. I say the same thing every year too. Now I know why people retire to warm climates! We should all think warm thoughts and maybe the warm positive energy will push the snow storms away. If only it were that easy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We get a lot of snow here (as you know), but the difference is our county does a good job keeping the roads clear. Sidewalks not as good since the is the responsibility of the home owners, but at least roads are taken care of.

    I could not imagine street only parking! That would suck. That would be a deal breaker for me on a house.

    We have hit the time of year where John tried to figure out how we can spend a chunk of the winter in New Orleans. He is bound and determined to make that happen some day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy crap that is a LOT of snow! I'm ashamed complaining about Winter when I see this. Stay safe en stay warm and I keep my fingers crossed that this will go away as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete