Tuesday, January 6, 2015

"This Is Going to be an Interesting Journey"

I started working with my nutritionist friend and I have to say I'm quite intrigued.

She had me do some tracking via MyFitnessPal so that she could see what I typically eat and how I exercise.  I also had to weigh myself (boo! hiss!).  Then I did a survey about typical patterns (i.e., how many times a day I eat, how much I snack, what I drink, sleep patterns, etc.

Based on all that information AND my hypothyroidism, she sent me a plan with both a minimum calorie allotment along with ratios for protein/fats/carbohydrates, plus a recommendation for some vitamins she thinks I should be taking to support my thyroid.  This means I have to track my food, but the great thing is, all I need to do is track it, not pay attention to any of the numbers.  She looks at it every day and then emails or texts me regarding what she sees.

Well, it's only a few days in and pretty much what we've discovered is this (as per her text to me):
"You have been under eating along with exercising which can lower your metabolism.  It's even more complex when you throw in your hypothyroidism... this is going to be an interesting journey."
It's going to be a balancing act for sure, as it is very easy to overeat with hypothyroidism due to reduced metabolism.  The spot of sunshine in all this is she is thrilled with the quality of my food intake (I knew I've always had a good diet!).  I guess a lot of her clients have issues with this, particularly due to too much sugar and too much takeout, neither of which is an issue for me (now that holiday eating is done lol!). Best of all, for me anyway, is no food is off limits right now, except for sugary drinks - not a problem at all!

She also really, really likes the Neila Rey workouts I've been doing, though she did give me a short weight lifting routine that I can manage right in my family room.  I tried it on Saturday and think I'll do that once a week or so, just to change things up.

I have to admit, doing this has re-energized my will to meal plan.  Of course, it didn't hurt that I'm coming off the holiday extras and wanting to eat cleaner. I made one of our favorites for dinner on Sunday - it cooked while I was at the mall:  Crockpot Banana Pepper Roast Beef.  It's been a long time since we had this and I'd forgotten how flavorful and delicious it is! I love having it in the lettuce cups with chopped tomato and smashed avocado on top.


 And, I'm feeling hopeful, for the first time in a long time... hoping that we can come up with 'my' magic formula that will help straighten out my metabolism.  Maybe then I will finally and permanently get the health and body results that I feel like I deserve.  Time will tell, I suppose.

13 comments:

  1. I'm excited for you - I truly hope that the nutritionist can help you break through this funky weight issue you've been dealing with for far too long.

    Also, can you share the recipe for the banana pepper meat? I googled, but the first one was covered in butter...sounds good but not quite how I eat now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So easy you'll laugh! 1 16 oz. jar of mild banana pepper, 1 3-5 lb. bottom round roast. Put roast in crockpot, pour jar of banana peppers over (including juice). Cook on low for 8-10 hours. Remove roast from crock, shred, pour a little of the juices over and top with cooked banana peppers.

      Delete
    2. I CAN DO THIS!!

      Thanks. Going on my short list.

      Delete
  2. I can feel your excitement in your words, and rightly so! I'd be excited too! I'm also going to try your crockpot roast. The crockpot is one of my best friends, since it is not always easy to cook for two people. You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane. I think you'll really enjoy the beef! Mr. Helen actually puts his in a wrap and adds cheese too, I think, but I like the taste of this beef all by itself.

      Delete
  3. I love how the positivity screams off the page Helen! So excited for you! And I never made that banana pepper beef because Tony wouldn't have touched it with a 10-foot pole - I'll have to see if Hannah's boyfriend would like it - love that it's in lettuce cups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it so much in the lettuce cups, I can't eat it any other way. As I said to Jane, Mr. Helen eats his in a wrap but I can't do it, I just can't! I prefer to have a nice baked sweet potato on the side. It feels like an extravagant, but quite healthy meal.

      Delete
  4. Mmmm. Beef! And I love the lettuce cups, and the guacamole on top.

    Yes, this will be very interesting to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting for you! I hope this works out.

    I loves me some banana peppers. I never buy them for some reason and only eat them from condiment bars LOL! Now I should.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sometimes wonder if undereating isn't at the root of many of our problems with weight. Too many years of "diet" conditioning. I hope you find your solution!

    I don't eat roast, but I'll bet this simple recipe would work well with chicken as well. I might give it a try someday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I am so exciting for you, it sounds so good and I'm happy for you you have such a good friend that is helping you with this.

    I'm back at meal planning too and happy to be eating healthier again too after the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm looking forward to following along on your interesting journey

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just going to ask for the recipe for the beef, and I noticed you already put it in the comments. It really sounds delicious.
    Also, I am happy you are feeling so hopeful.

    ReplyDelete