Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Before and After

I thought I'd share some photos that show how drastic the snow is around here after Blizzard Juno (2 feet of snow) and Winter Storm Linus (4 inches of snow/layer of ice/4 inches of snow) which have walloped us for the past two Mondays.

If you've been reading you've heard me talking about how difficult it is to clear our driveway.  Except for the very beginning, which is our front yard and the very end which is the patio, one side of the driveway is our neighbors retaining wall and the other side is our house. Even with shovels and snow thrower, there is no where to put it.  So you have to push forward or backward, which means doing every shovel or throw at least twice.  Here it is after we cleared it for the first time during Linus.


And do you know just as we finished this, it started snowing again and continued to snow until almost midnight which meant my 5 am workout yesterday morning was shoveling snow so we could get to work.

We are really running out of places to put the snow and we have two more storms on the way. Nothing is melting because we are having bitterly cold temperatures hang on.  I have no idea where we'll put new snow if it actually comes so I'm praying the storms go north or south or anywhere but here!

This photo shows a picture of my small front yard on the left.  I chose this one for reference to the flag stake.  I told Mr. Helen we should remove it before the blizzard!  His solution was to take the flag off.  Sigh.


The next photo shows the patio.  I miss my patio! (Don't worry about the grill - it's so burned up we're getting a new one this summer.)  If you look closely at the photo on the right, it shows the patio table, with the top just barely visible.  That's how deep the snow is without us creating mounds from clearing it.  If you look even closer you can see snowflakes.

Another shot of the back of the house.  We are having to be careful about throwing any more snow here because the dryer vent is just to the left of this photo.


Finally I took this one yesterday morning as I stopped to fill up at the gas station right around the corner from the house.  As you can see, our streets were not in good driving condition, but life must go on so off to work and school we all went.  It looks pretty but it sure is a pain in the neck... and shoulders... and lower back!  

In other exciting news, we have another clipper coming tonight - "only" 3 inches or so will fall by 5 pm tomorrow, and yet another Monday storm.  I may have to start working on Saturdays to make up for all these missed work days!


My new mantra:


10 comments:

  1. It is miserable here in Nebraska too--but I think you got it worse! Juno missed us entirely, but we did get Linus and are getting more today--not sure what they've named this latest storm, but it's supposed to drop 3-4" more than the 7" we got from Linus earlier this week. It's funny, cause our Bulldog is named Juno, and she really is not much of a fan of the snow at all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had several midwest friends tell me we are getting more snow than they are. Something is not right with this equation!

      Delete
  2. Well since Mr. H left the flag pole, you have an accurate sense of how deep the snow is? LOL, men. Not LOL, that snow! Damn.

    Do you wear waterproof shoes and carry your nice shoes inside to work to change? Snow...how does it work?? (ala magnets, how do they work?)

    And it's so weird to see your patio full of snow. The fence makes it look like a playpen, only instead of fun toys or lots of balls, you have tons of snow. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is about 3 feet of snow. I should take a photo of the mounds of snow at our mall just for you. They are probably 12 feet high!

      Yes, I wear snow boots to work every day, or pretty much any time you want to go anywhere, then put on my shoes once at my destination. Unless it's really fancy then I make Mr. Helen drop me off right in front!

      I can't wait until my patio is full of flower pots again, that's for sure.

      Delete
  3. Our old house is like yours. Hedges on one side of the driveway and then the house and nowhere to go but create a bobsled chute. Thank goodness our new driveway is shorter than that one.

    I don't know how much we will get Monday. I think it is a little early to tell, but right now they say 6-8 inches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobsled chute. Perfect description.

      Delete
  4. I love your mantra!! I pay a kid $25 to plow my drive - do you have anyone in your neighborhood who can do that for you? I have a snow blower, but we don't have a garage so our driveway is long enough to fit seven cars - even with a snow blower it could take up to 2 hours. We are one more day closer to summer! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plow drivers are hard to come by around here - usually have to sign a contract back in the summer. When we were kids, my brother used to go around with a shovel and earn money doing people's driveways but kids today do not seem to be motivated that way. Half the time they show up just as we're finishing, if they show up at all.

      Delete
  5. Holy cow girl, you sure have a lot of snow. That really sucks especially for a Summer girl like you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like snow for the first day or two, but then I'm ready for clear ground again. I can't even imagine dealing with one storm after another of that magnitude.

    ReplyDelete