Friday, February 6, 2015

Oven Roasted Vegetable Pasta

Oh my, this is just some good pasta. I actually crave it sometimes. It's a great meal all on its own, or it's great as a side dish because you've got your starch and your veggies all snuggled right there together. Every time I make it, Mr. Helen the meat lover says, "When you say you're going to make this, I wish you'd just make spaghetti and meatballs and then you make it and it's so delicious I forget about the meatballs."  That's an endorsement right there.

I found the original recipe in a Food magazine.  As I have now made it several times, I've morphed it into my own variation, mostly because Mr. Helen cannot stand asparagus, called for in the original recipe.  So I changed up the veggies a bit, increased the amount of pasta used, made it more servings, and ultimately less calories.  That's the version I am sharing here. This actually comes together fairly quickly - fast enough for me to make it on a weeknight after work.

Oven Roasted Vegetable Pasta
1 Large Zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, then sliced about 1/2 inch thick (about 3 cups)
1 Large Summer Squash, cut in half lengthwise, then sliced about 1/2 inch thick (about 3 cups)
3 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
Kosher Salt
Black Pepper (I like freshly ground)
1/2 cup sliced roasted red pepper (you can roast your own or used the jarred)
1 small onion, diced
2 large cloves of garlic, sliced
1-28 oz. can diced tomatoes, with juice
1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano Cheese (or Parmesan)
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (think thin ribbons) - or 1 T dried basil leaves
12 oz. linguine

Preheat the oven to 425.  In a large bowl, toss your squashes with 1 1/2 T of the olive oil, sprinkle with some kosher salt and pepper, then spread out on a large 12 x 15 cookie sheet.  Roast in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.  Watch this because you don't want to over cook the squash.

While the squash is cooking, heat the other 1 1/2 T olive oil in a 3 quart saucepan.  Add in diced onion and saute for a few minutes until it starts to go clear.  Add in your sliced garlic and saute for 30 seconds or so until it becomes fragrant.  Add the can of diced tomatoes, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. If you're using the dried basil, add it in with the tomatoes to simmer.

While the sauce is simmering, cook your linguine according to package directions for al dente.  Drain the pasta and return to its pan.  Top with your roasted vegetables and the roasted red pepper strips.

When the sauce is done simmering, stir in the 1/2 cup of grated Pecorino Romano cheese.  Pour over pasta and vegetables. If using the fresh basil, stir it in now.

Toss everything together.  Serve with more freshly grated cheese.

Makes 6 hearty servings. 349 calories, 10.2g fat, 54g carbohydrates, 5.7g fiber, 12.3g protein

.






7 comments:

  1. I make a roasted veggie pasta sauce, but I puree everything together - and roasting the veggies makes all the difference in the flavor. Stay warm, and hopefully no more snow is coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that makes sense Biz since I know you don't like chunks. I actually prefer the vegetables chunky. I think it helps me eat less pasta and more veggies. Another foot of snow coming over the next 4 days, unless the storm turns. At this point, who's counting?

      Delete
  2. Yum. I am really digging roasted veggies - haven't tried squash/zucchini yet, but thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And don't forget you can make that creamy Roasted Zucchini Soup - so good!

      Delete
  3. I with Biz in not liking chunks of veggies, but I am getting better at liking them. It takes a long time for me to train my tastebuds, but it can be done :D

    Roasting is always my go-to cooking for veggies. Very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum. That sounds so delicious. I wonder if it would make a difference if you used fresh tomatoes and roasted them? Too messy? Anyway, I like every single ingredient in this recipe, and it is just the right calorie count for me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOH GREAT IDEA.
    and such a fun things to prep with the child!!

    ReplyDelete