Wednesday, February 25, 2015

The Walls Are Closing In

The title of this post is exactly what I felt like as I ran on the treadmill this morning.  At one point I felt like I wanted to jump out of my skin, off the treadmill, and just stand in my garage and scream.  While it was a balmy 20 degrees in there this morning and I warmed up quickly, I just really want a good run outside.

Our sidewalks are still not cleared properly, especially at the ends... there are huge mounds of snow almost as tall as the stop signs.  In fact, the sidewalks are so bad, they were the subject of a local TV station's investigative team because people are having to walk in the roads, including all the walking students we have going to our high school.  To make matters worse, some of the roads are still not full width so you've got two cars and pedestrians, not a good combination.

I made plans (part of my Be Kind to Helen Lenten Reset) to drive up to a seasonal fruit and flower stand to park, then simply cross the street and run laps in the cemetery.  They always have their roads fairly clear and there is no traffic to speak of.  I went to bed Friday night so excited about running outside the next morning.  I knew it would be cold but decided I'd wait until about 8 o'clock to run so that the sun could warm things up.  At 7:30 I got dressed and checked my weather app to see the temp so I could figure out which coat/gloves/hat I would need.  This is what I saw:

The windchill was even worse. I very disappointedly resigned myself to running on the treadmill in the garage once again.  The temperature in there was, at least,  about 14 above zero.

And there doesn't seem to be any end in sight to these North Pole temperatures. We might get a day in the 30's but when that happens it generally snows and misery compounds.

I can't remember ever having to stay on the treadmill like this - we just are not getting the melting and clearing that we normally would.  Our average temperature this time is around 40 during the day, but this year it has been around 15.

The whole business is completely energy sapping, both mentally and physically, not to mention a motivation killer.  All I want to do is hibernate.  Not good. I'm not losing any weight, even working with the nutritionist and I told her I swear my body is in full revolt and determined to hold onto every last fat molecule to protect me from this ridiculous winter.

But I keep on trying because I know that to be kind to myself, I need to move.  It makes me feel better, even if it is hard to be motivated.  Simply put, I have to find a way to do better, or the walls might actually come down.

In other Be Kind to Helen news, I have been making an effort to get us out of our house on Saturdays even if only for a few hours.  Just to try and kill the cabin fever.  This past Saturday we finally got to the movies!  I accomplished this by going Friday night to turn in the discounted movie tickets I get through my job.  I was able to pick our seats and so all we had to do on Saturday was show up early enough to get Mr. Helen his popcorn.

We haven't been to the movies in a long time so we were completely shocked when we got in the theater.  They've reduced the size of the theaters and put in luxury seating.  So there are only 5 rows of 7 seats per row.  The seats recline and the floor is wood laminate - nearly like being at home. (This also explains the expensive ticket price of $13 for a matinee - and why I get the discounted tickets at work instead!)  At the end of the movie (we saw American Sniper - very good movie!), Mr. Helen said, "We need to come here more often."  So I teased him and suggested it was because of the seating and he replied, "Yeah, why didn't I pick a recliner for our family room?"  Ummmm, I did suggest that when we bought the new furniture but he said no.  I think he's having recliner regret now.  I agreed that we should go out more often - just no movies after dinner because with those seats, I'll be snoozing in a heart beat.


10 comments:

  1. Wow - complete sisters in winter! How funny that we both posted on this exact subject :D This has been a horrible winter. I was listening to a radio show that was explaining how global warming in the poles is causing a wavy jetstream now. That makes the cold air dip down farther than it normally would, which is causing the bitter cold temps in our region. Unfortunately, this is probably going to be a trend now. It's sad that our city (Glens Falls) made the national news with our temps in the negative 20s yesterday. Bah!

    Anyway - it's sunny today and March starts on Sunday. Every day that the earth tilts a little more, it's an unstoppable progression to warmer weather. Just hang on to that. Plus clocks spring ahead in a couple weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have said for many years that the main reason I wouldn't even consider moving further north is the longer winter. Unfortunately it seems like the northern winters are coming further south. I wonder how far south I'd have to go to get away from it completely?!!

      Delete
  2. Sadly, I think this kind of harsh winter is our new normal now...it's not going to be different next year, or the next. Maybe if we stop fighting it, it won't seem so bad? Nah. Although I get to run outdoors (unlike you, and I feel for you, I do), I only have one warm running top. Because each winter I think "oh, it's not cold very often" - but you know what? It's cold. I keep having to wash that dang top over and over...and this spring, when the winter stuff gets marked down? Ima buy me another top. I give in!

    Your movie theater is amazing. I'm right with you on having to go early in the day lest I fall asleep (and I do that in regular seats...I'd be out like a light in those recliners!). You should go every weekend during winter, as a "treat yo'self" event. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, buy another shirt! That way you only have to wash every couple of days.

      Delete
  3. "Recliner regret" LOL. You still have your sense of humor, Helen! All that stuff about global warming and wavy jet streams is interesting. It doesn't help you with your cabin fever though. Are you looking at real estate websites while you're stuck in the house???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok Debby, no joke. I have been on realtor.com looking at properties in Florida!

      Delete
  4. WOW...those are SWANKY movie seats!!!!!!! This has been such a brutal winter for all of my Eastern friends! I will have a word with Mother Nature for you. And I'll tell her she's being a bitch! Take care Helen!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roz. I'm pretty sure the only daffodils I'll see this year are the ones in the photos you post. Mine are under about 4 feet of snow right now.

      Delete
  5. Cold winter - it has to pass soon surely?
    Roll on Spring that's what I say LOL

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and Lori are really "treated" on Winter this year. I also can't remember that it ever was this worse since I started reading your blogs. And I really feel for you and keep my fingers crossed that Spring arrives soon. As Lori said: Sunday March starts that already gives a feeling that Spring is coming. And the time change always helps too, at least for me, we have to wait for that till the last weekend in March.

    Hang in there sweety and keep being kind to yourself.

    Oh and those movie seats: awesome!

    ReplyDelete