Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Tuesday Ten

1. We tried to go on a date this past Saturday, wanting to see a movie and then have a bite to eat, mostly just to get out of the house.  We do the movie first because if we eat first we'd sleep through the movie.  We got there and both the 1:55 and 4:55 shows were sold out already, all because our stupid theater has gone to luxury seating which means the theaters have less seats.  We will attempt again next Saturday but will go Friday night and get our tickets.

2. We ended up driving out to the winery to get our Grape Nuts shipment instead.  I was so aggravated about the movie that I probably needed the complimentary glass of wine they give us to calm down. While there I took this shot of the vineyard and put a "depth of field" filter on it.  It's bleak but sort of artsy, right?

3.  We went to our very late lunch after we left the vineyard so we got to the restaurant around the same time we would have had we gone to the early movie.  It was nice and quiet and we were the only people there for a bit.  Then, around 5 o'clock, about the time we were having dessert, people started filtering in.  As we were waiting for the waitress to come collect our money, I suddenly realized every single person in the restaurant was probably retirement age... say 60 and up. I guess it's true about the Senior Citizen Early Bird Special.  When I pointed that out to Mr. Helen he reminded me that he is turning 60 in May.  I told him I didn't care, we had gotten there early enough to avoid the Senior Citizen thing and be able to call our meal a late lunch lol!

4. Oh, and the food was delicious.  Mr. Helen got salmon cakes and I had short rib stuffed ravioli with a garlic sauce. We shared the dessert special too - a triple mousse of chocolate, mocha and white chocolate. This was probably slightly smaller around than a vegetable can and maybe 2 inches high.  Just enough for each of us to have 3 bites.  And beautifully presented too.

5.  I read an article about how hibernating in winter contributes to seasonal depression.  This is why I was determined that we were going to get out of the house for our Saturday date.  But you know, even though it ended up OK, it's like everything is so aggravating about going out and about.  It was spitting snow and the streets are still very, very narrowed.  Here's the street I drive down to get to my street, followed by a shot of my house as you come come down my hill. Narrow and aggravating.  It's why I just pretty much go to work then come home and stay home.



6.   At least I had Sunday off from the mall.  I worked out, showered then got back into "lounge wear" and didn't leave my house all day. I made us my world famous Braciole. Our neighbor gave us a jar of diced plum tomatoes straight from Italy as part of our Christmas gift so I used those to make the marinara.  It was extra yummy.  Since this weather also makes me want to eat ALLLLLLLLL the carbohydrates, I've been working on doing the half plate of vegetables thing.  Here's my Sunday dinner plate - not quite half but almost.


7. Monday's newspaper headline...

8. View out my office window, once I got to work.  Yes, I drove on unplowed roads that had a layer of ice underneath the falling snow to get to work. Thankfully Mr. Helen's truck is four wheel drive so I take that and drive slow.  Believe it or not, it snow showered all day so these roads were worse on the way home.


9. I think it's all the grey that gets to me, even with the 2,000 iu of Vitamin D that I take every day. I have to admit, I feel really bad for the people of Boston - they got two more feet yesterday, making 6 feet total in the last 30 days.  Lucy says it better than I can.


10. This morning as I listened to the news, the weatherman said that the shoreline of Connecticut usually gets 16 inches of snow for the whole season (December 1-April 1)  We've already had 37 inches. No wonder I feel crazed.  But I've also learned no matter how long the winter, spring is sure to follow (thank goodness!). Hurry spring, hurry!


15 comments:

  1. 1. We don't have a luxury movie theater here; I suspect I'd fall asleep that much faster if the seats were super comfy, LOL. Weird that they were sold out so early!
    2. Gorgeous photo.
    3. We eat early, too. But it's because I can't stand the restaurant crowds (and it gets crazy crowded here).
    4. YUM on that dessert!
    5. That narrowness would make me feel claustrophobic. Your house looks so pretty in that picture - love how the blue stands out against the white of the snow.
    6. Good going with all the veggies. And hell's yes for staying in jammies all day!
    7, 8 & 9. NO THANK YOU.
    10. Yes, it's coming, and it will be magnificent. Hold on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelley, those movie seats actually recline. It's ridiculous but when you're charging $12-$15 per ticket I guess they had to come up with something.

      Delete
  2. Love the pictures in your great post! I got a kick out of the mention of Boston - my daughter lives and works in Boston, and came home last Friday from a 4-month "tour of duty" (she works at a pharmaceutical firm) in Switzerland. She said it's warmer there, with no snow at the moment - how ironic! She's looking forward to going back, since she's been stuck in the house in Boston except for walking her (short-legged) dogs since she got home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We even have more snow than Duluth, Minnesota right now. Crazy!

      Delete
  3. I don't mind the cold and snow as much when its sunny outside, but last week we had a string of grey days and you are right, it does get depressing after a while!

    We have another cold snap coming our way - highs in the low teens - blah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grey just stinks. And we've begun that cold snap today. They were on the news reminding people to leave kitchen cabinets open so pipes don't freeze.

      Delete
  4. Is it an idea to buy a lamp that provides fake sunlight? I know there are people here who use that during winter, light therapy, it seems to help. Or some to a tan studio to use the sunbed there.

    You have so much snow, really I haven't seen so much snow here ever, at least not that I can remember. It would have made me depressed and sad too.

    Can't you buy tickets online for the theatre? At least you know you have a spot then. We always buy our tickets online if we want to see a movie.

    I keep my fingers crossed that this stupid weather is over soon and Spring arrives and after that Summer where I want to see a happy Helen on her patio with a cocktail in her hand.

    And last: the vinery photo is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My office has one entire wall of windows so I get plenty of exposure to sun. I just hate winter.

      I don't buy tix online because I get discount tix through my job - which saves $4 per ticket. You have to turn in the passes to get an assigned seat in these new theaters. A royal pain and explains why we don't go to the movies much anymore.

      Delete
  5. I can not believe your winter!!!
    and yea.
    Im the nerd who uses FANDANGO FOR EVERYTHING.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I give Fandango gift certificates to people, does that count?

      Delete
  6. That dessert looks amazing! I hear you on the carb thing. I swear all I want is pasta, potatoes and bread right now. With a side of chocolate.

    We are at somewhere around 62 inches of snow for the year so far, and we normally average 60, so we could well get more than that by the time April comes around. :D

    If we could get a day in the 30s, though, that would be heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got one day in the 30s yesterday so we're back to pavement mostly and they've been using giant machines to clear up some bad intersections, which is nice. 62 inches of snow is why I don't live where you do or anywhere else that gets snow like that. It's just too much!!

      Delete
  7. #2 & #4--Gorgeous photos! (notice how I lump art and chocolate in the same category?)

    #5, 7, 8, & 9--when are you going to move to California?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning on moving somewhere not snowy for the months of January-May as soon as I can. I do love summer and fall here and I can stand some cold but it seems like January-May are the beast of burden for me.

      Delete
  8. I'm with you on the grayness of it all. Even without ANY snow, it's wearing on the spirit. And I get cabin fever BAD. Here's hoping we all get a string of sunny days soon!

    ReplyDelete