Tuesday, March 17, 2015

It Starts - and Ends - with Food: Detox Diary

Once again, as I did my food detox (basically removing "white" and sugar) I was reminded how much better I feel when I eat as healthy as possible.  I was also reminded that while all calories are not equal, not all calories are bad either.

The issue for me with a detox is that it's boring.  It's the same food day in and day out and while I can do that for a bit, it's just not sustainable for the long term.  By day 3, as in the last time I did this, I wanted to throw my hands up in the air and wave them like I just didn't care and quit.  I thought if I had to eat one more green salad, or one more piece of chicken I'd scream.  But since I've done it before, I also knew the feeling would pass, and it did and I made it through the week.

One of the things I like about doing this reset is that it also seems to reset my mind - almost like a fog clears - and reset my hunger signals.  The plain facts are, if you're eating only 6 oz. of chicken or fish and lots and lots of vegetables every day, you will feel hunger.  You just will.  So that's a good thing.

I actually managed to lose all the weight I'd gained over the weeks of working with the nutritionist but it didn't feel like a victory of any sort, just a "been there, done that" feeling.  Nothing to celebrate because I still haven't gotten past (or below) where I started.

All of this has had me thinking, a lot, about food.  Not in an obsessive way but more of analyzing why one way of eating seems to work better for me while Mr. Helen or my girlfriend can eat very different things and are not affected in the same way that I am.

I think one of the reasons I get so annoyed with people declaring foods are "bad" is because food is not inherently bad.  For example, I made my Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Peppers for lunches this week and just after I finished, I was surfing Facebook and a friend posted  that she was looking for good quinoa recipes. So I told her about my peppers and another cold quinoa salad.  She asked me to share and I bluntly told her that I was hesitant because she is an Isagenix queen (it's one of those 2 shakes and a strict list of foods programs).  She insisted that it would be fine.  So I share and her immediate comment was they looked delicious and that the "only" bad things in the recipe were the corn and the cheese (mind you it's 1/2 cup of corn and 1/2 cup of 2% cheese for four peppers).  I just couldn't let that remark go and told her that those foods were not "bad" and thinking like that is what gets most of us in trouble with food.

Over the years I've tried just about everything under the sun so that gives me some pretty good information about myself:  I like variety.  It's not even that I will necessarily choose all sorts of variety from day to day, but the minute you start telling me I "can't have" something and there's no medical/health reason to back that up, inside I become like a 2 year old throwing a full on tantrum and screaming NOOOOOOO!!!


So again, I'm brought back to the place of wanting and needing to figure out how to eat to allow me to reach my health goals. All during detox week I kept wishing I could have pasta or sweet potato instead of that damnable 1/2 cup of brown rice allotted every day (I was so tired of it, I didn't eat any rice the last day lol!). But here's a funny:  it's a new week and I still haven't had those things.  It's simply the fact that I can if I want to.

I have to admit, I'm a bit frustrated with the nutritionist at this point.  She hasn't really helped or done what I thought she would.  It was ME insisting that I stop eating at her macro percentages that put a halt to the weight gain.  I mean, how many weeks in a row did I have to gain before she changed something?  When she fluffed it off the last time, that was when I stomped my foot and said no more!  I reminded her that the reason I agreed to work with her was that she was supposed to be helping me find the right formula and that while she had given me something to start with, we were 8 weeks in, I'd gained weight, and she hadn't changed a thing!  I think I was right to feel frustration and to do my own reset/detox.

Then, to top it off, she was so excited about the weight I lost doing the detox she wanted me to continue it for another week.  This was after I specifically told her I was doing it for one week only, knowing from my past experience that it's not sustainable.  I repeated that sentiment in the detox notes I sent her and reiterated that I'm searching for a way of eating that will allow me to live without stress over food, lose some weight, then maintain that in the future.  She then asked me "so what do you want to do?"  Sigh.

Here's to hoping I can figure that out sooner than later.

12 comments:

  1. I am just like you Helen - I love variety! When I see these people on Instagram that they have meal planned for the week and show 21 containers of the same thing: grilled chicken, broccoli and a scoop of brown rice. That isn't meal planning for me! I am actually starting not only a DietBet on Monday (because that worked when I did it with you!) I am also doing a type of Detox, but what I hope will be a delicious one - the only things I'll be avoiding for 21 days is: alcohol, added sugars, fried foods, processed foods and white flour. I'll be using coconut oil too. We'll see! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Im soo lucky I dont love variety and have such a too too picky palate.
      that said all I love isnt necessarily good.


      xoxo

      Delete
  2. I think your nutritionist's heart is in the right place, but she doesn't seem to have done you much good (beyond what you've taken on yourself). And yes - sustainability is KEY. If you don't find a way of healthy eating that you are willing to stick with 90% of the time, it won't last and you'll be back on that weight see-saw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her specialty is helping people who have medical problems lose or gain weight. Why she can't seem to adjust to me is beyond me! I think I am her first long-distance coaching and she might be having a hard time adjusting that?

      Yes, sustainability!

      Delete
  3. First off - cheese is not ever bad. In any shape or form. Well, except fat free cheese..which isn't really cheese anyway.

    I am so, so sick of diet dogma. Grains are good. Grains are evil. Fat is good. Fat is evil. Too many people relying on cherry picked studies to support their way of eating, which is the only way.

    Okay, sorry I got off track there...

    It's true that no one knows your body like you do. Especially where the limits are. I think the nutritionist probably has a prescribed (and likely proven) track that she follows with patients. However, as with anything, it doesn't fit every single person.

    I am like you. I can do elimination stuff for a short time, but then I just want other food. It's as simple as that. Food is not just fuel to me, but a source of enjoyment and there certainly isn't anything wrong with that as long as I don't binge. I am eating lower carb now, but only for 3-4 days a week. I can do that easily knowing that there is a bagel coming in in a couple days. It seems to be helping with my own personal reset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to quit with the uber long comments. :D

      Delete
    2. Not on my blog you don't. I enjoy your point of view and this kind of sharing is what makes blogging fun! Besides, you said in a couple short paragraphs what I was saying in my long and winding blog lol.

      Delete
  4. Yeah, I enjoyed Lori's comment too! LOL'd at the cheese bit, and then TOTALLY glad to hear someone say they are sick of the diet dogma.

    Anyway, back to your post, Helen, I'm kind of wondering what your thinking is about the work you did with that counselor(?) at your workplace last year, where I think the thought was to be content where you were. Sorry, I can't remember the exact phraseology… anyway, today you wrote a little about what I've been thinking about, and actually started writing about this morning!

    I also agree with you and Lori, that after so many years, no one knows our body like we do ourselves. Best to take our own advice. If we could just stick with it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your question to me about the thing we did at work last year is a whole other blog post so thanks lol.

      You can add me as one who is sick of diet dogma. I mean, other than eating good whole foods as much as possible, which is actually a different meaning to the word diet.

      Delete
  5. There are no bad foods as long as you don't use processed foods (which I think aren't good because of the additions) but even if you only use that now and then it can't be bad. What you did with your detox I couldn't even do for 2 days. I don't diet anymore. It's indeed all about variation, eat as healthy as possible with some indulgence every now and then.

    I'm sorry it didn't work out with the nutritionist. I think too that she didn't help you enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on processed foods. I also think the nutritionist thought that I was someone who wasn't doing much right. As we've been going along she keeps stating she can't believe how well I manage my food and said that I eat better than about 99% of everyone who comes to her for help. So, she couldn't just stick me in her set box and then didn't really know what to do at all.

      Delete
    2. Maybe you should turn things around and help her, seems you know it better than her and she can learn from you!

      Delete