Thursday, April 9, 2015

New York City, Mother of the Bride, and Other Thursday Thoughts

Last Wednesday, my boss took several of us to a meeting in New York City.  We got to ride down via limousine which is nice and stress free except if you get car sick like I do.  I did OK, but was so glad to get the heck out of the car.

He has invested in a start-up restaurant called Uma Temakeria.  It's basically a hand made sushi place - all fresh ingredients. First stop was there for lunch.  I'm soooooooo not a sushi fan, but they had a rice bowl so I topped it with all fresh vegetables and a spicy mayonnaise sauce.  This was so delicious!  I am going to try to recreate this for a lunch at work.


After the meeting we had a bit of free time but not really any good amount of time to shop, so we went and strolled Fifth Avenue.  Some of us went into Bergdorf Goodman and walked through the designer salons.  It was actually fun dreaming about wearing really well made clothing.  I saw a pair of shoes that I adored and if I had the money, these would be a contender for Little Helen's wedding.  Aren't they fabulous?!!

Alas, they are Louboutin's and a bit out of my price range...

After our stroll, he treated us to dinner and drinks in Little Italy.  This is the first thing you see when you walk into the skylight room at Il Cortile.

Dinner was good Italian food and lots of bread which we all enjoyed immensely.  After dinner we went to a couple of bars for drinks.  At this point it was getting late so I had a fancy coffee and went to water.  I could tell it was going to be a late night and sure enough, I walked through the door of home at 1:50 am.  Had to work on Thursday, which I managed but boy was I dragging!  It was a different sort of NYC trip for me, but still enjoyable to be out of the office for the day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This has been me, pretty much all winter...


The end result is this is how I'm feeling now...


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've started looking for a dress for Little Helen's wedding.  Not quite ready to buy yet, but I've learned to stop looking at Mother of the Bride Dresses and just look at cocktail or evening dresses.  Based on what I like, this dress will probably be one of the most expensive I've ever bought but I don't care.  The wedding is in July and I want to be cool, comfortable, and most importantly Spanx-free!  I've also decided to just stop worrying about my size, look, weight etc.  I know I can put myself together enough to look just fine.  Besides, Little Helen is the real star of that show, right?

Eliza J Embellished Neckline Dress.  I like this color and also am thinking about Navy Blue, which it is also available in. This one is at Nordstrom and I found out the mall about an hour away from my house has it so I am going to try to go soon and try it on to see if I like it.

Calvin Klein Pleated Cocktail Dress.  This one would definitely be in Navy Blue.  I can get this one through Macy's but I may have to order it and then return it if I don't like it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The stupid, stupid snow that has been taunting me is finally gone!  I thought it might last the week because we've had cooler than normal temps (it was 31 degrees Monday morning), but the rain finally got the better of it. Seriously, here is how the patio and front yard looked just this past Monday. TAUNTING me I tell ya!



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saw this somewhere a few days ago and can't stop thinking about how true it is for every single area of our lives - whether we realize it or not!


  

16 comments:

  1. Wow. Those shoes are gorgeous...but seriously overpriced, unless the bling is genuine and they're stitched with gold thread. You could snag a similar looking pair from DSW and then coat the soles with red lacquer model paint!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way. It's either real Louboutin's or a look-alike pair without the red bottom!

      Delete
  2. The day (and night!) in NYC sounds so fun and glamorous! Those shoes - OMG. Beautiful...but do you know how many pairs of running shoes you could get for that price? LOL

    The dresses are very pretty and I'm glad you're seeing some that you like. Now to purchase...

    LOVE that pizza comic. I pretty much feel that way about the whole paleo thing anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a pretty glamorous day, but NYC has so much to offer that it almost feels a shame not to do some regular things there. I could have stayed in that shoe department for a full day I think. It was amazing!

      Delete
  3. Georgeous shoes---But so expensive $$!! Wow! can you imagine spending $3K on a pair of shoes that you will probably wear once? Love both dresses--what is the wedding date and what are Little Helen's colors? That would definitely influence my color choice. I was morbidly obese when my two older sons got married in 2005 and 2006, and wore the same black dress to both weddings. I looked like a big black blob. I am determined that if and when my youngest son gets married I will be able to wear a pretty dress and still be at a normal weight. Have fun shopping!!! NYC looks like fun. I got to visit there in 2012, and was on the Today Show, where I joined Joy Bauer's Fit Club. It was a real joy! Hubby and I loved NYC and want to go back soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does not have a color theme or attendants. She's a bit older than a lot of brides so it's going to be a very simple but elegant wedding.

      Delete
  4. Those shoes are so cool, but my feet died a little seeing the pointy toes, not to mention my thrifty heart choked on the price.

    You will be a gorgeous mother of the bride, no matter what, and your daughter is the star.

    Take lots of time shopping for the dress, because it is an important day and one that you won't get to do again - so make the shopping fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pointy toed $3000 shoes don't hurt your feet lol! Those of us who walked through the store had a long conversation about whether or not we would spend that sort of money on clothes and shoes, even if we had it to spend! What we decided is that there's a level of rich where you don't look at the price tags, therefore something that cost several thousand would mean no more than something that cost $30. You just buy what you want.

      Delete
  5. It's like you were a 20-something coming home that late! Can't even remember the last time I did that - its been years and years.

    Love either of the dresses, but I think I like the Calvin Klein one the best. And no, cannot even imagine spending 3k on shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to like the dress that I feel most comfortable in!

      Delete
  6. Princess shoes! But its not the pointy toes that make me cringe. Its the heels (sob) that make me hurt.

    Carb swallower LOLOL!

    And your veggie rice bowl looks interesting. I will watch for your remake. In fact, I think this post might have subconsciously influenced me to buy some brown rice at Costco today. Interesting.

    Very fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to work on that remake soon - I think spiralizing vegetables and then cutting them up a bit will work every bit as well as making matchsticks. Besides, it would make it easier to have different sorts of vegetables!

      Delete
  7. What a great trip you had to NYC. And the shoes .... so beautiful but way out of my price range too.

    As for the dresses I have a little preference for the Calvin Klein dress, it's more fancy to me. You have time, you will find the perfect dress for you and I can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so behind in my blog reading. Woo Hoo for NYC, and those shoes? OOOOH! Gorgeous. However, I wonder, even if I was rich, if I could bring myself to spend $3000 on a pair of shoes. Dunno... Those dresses are lovely too! You'll be a beautiful mother of the bride!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those shoes look amazing BUT yes do come at quite a price ......

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those shoes look amazing BUT yes do come at quite a price ......

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete