Monday, June 1, 2015

I'm Still Standing

Hello blogland.  I was beginning to think I might not ever blog again with all the craziness in my life.

The last two weeks have been sheer hell interesting.  Mr. Helen had his knee surgery and though done arthroscopically, the recovery has been slower due to how messed up the knee was once they got in there.  Not to mention, he'd already had surgery on this knee and there was scar tissue.

The first couple of days were fine, other than tiring for me as Mr. Helen completely depended on me for everything. I did so many trips up and down the stairs, that my FitBit was saying I was doing about 12,000 steps - and that was with no extra exercise!  On the 3rd day, I had to go back to work - both jobs - and while he wasn't quite as mobile as he had been with past surgeries, I set him up nicely before I left and told him to call if he needed help.  He never called but when I got home, I found him in a terrible state, with his thigh, calf, and knee swollen up as big as a basketball.  I had a fit and told him to call the doc to get in, but he wouldn't.  I felt terrible leaving him to go to my part time job but it was too late to get coverage so off I went.  When I got home, he was waiting for me to help him get upstairs to bed... and he was still miserable. That night, the leg was bothering him so much he couldn't lay down to sleep and tried to sleep standing up supported only by his crutches.  Thursday morning, I pretty much laid down the law and demanded that he call the doctor.

In the midst of all this, I was trying to sell the tickets to the concert that I probably should have tried to sell the minute they scheduled his surgery.  But he insisted he would be OK (and the other two times he'd had this surgery, he was mobile a week later), so I didn't.  Now it was literally 3 days before the concert and here I was with $250 worth of tickets.  The night that Mr. Helen didn't sleep, I had advertised the tickets both of Facebook (useless) and Craig's list.  I had 6 offers for full price through Craig's list and the first buyer was so determined to get the tickets he offered to drive from New Hampshire to Connecticut to pick them up on Thursday.

In order to be safe, I was having him meet me in the lobby at my office, so I had to go to work.  I told Mr. Helen if he got in with the doc, to call his father to take him because I had to go sell the tickets.

Are you beginning to get a picture of the stress bucket I was becoming?  Here, let me show you:

Fortunately, the ticket buyer showed up a full hour ahead of when he'd said he would and Mr. Helen got a late morning appointment with the doc so I was able to take him.  The doctor basically said he had swollen like that because the knee was so irritated internally, it released blood to try to protect itself.  He ended up draining 8 oz. of blood off, rewrapped his leg and sent us on the way.

Thankfully, that seemed to do the trick and Mr. Helen began to feel a bit better.

Because it was Memorial Day Weekend, I had taken Friday off as a vacation day long before the surgery was even scheduled. intending to have some fun time off.  Well, you know what they say about the best laid plans right?

I didn't have a fun-filled day, but I did get a whole bunch of things around the house done, as well as getting the patio open.  Longtime readers know my patio is a happy place for me, second only to the beach.

By the time I went back to work again on Tuesday, Mr. Helen was starting to act and move around more like previous surgeries so I felt confident he was on his way to recovering.  Over last week, he did seem to be a little better every day - and he even did a repair in the house that I've been asking him to do for NINE years!  Maybe this slower healing thing has it's advantages after all.

I guess another advantage to this two weeks of disruption and Mr. Helen constantly being home is that he said to me yesterday, "I had no idea how much you do on your days off.  You don't ever just get a whole day off do you?" Nice that he noticed.

Oh, and did I mention that in the midst of all that, I've also been helping to plan Little Helen's bridal shower? We are in true wedding count down mode now.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to our week on the beach and nothingness in August for sure.

14 comments:

  1. I completely understand what you're going through and how hard it is. Husband is at six weeks post surgery today, and things are looking better. We are also getting ready to move, and he can't help much, so that has been a challenge for me. The same things happened here...my husband, while in his recliner for four-five weeks, kept saying that he was worried about me, because I was doing too much. At least he knows what goes on around here. Better days to the both of you....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you as you get all that done Jane, I know you have had a long recovery with him!

      Delete
  2. Glad that he got it checked out - Tony one time balked at going back to the doctor for a week when his knee replacement wasn't feeling right - it was in the winter, and he was always wearing sweat pants, when I finally asked to see it and his whole leg was black and blue because it was infected - I don't understand why men wait to go to the doctor.

    Hooray for the patio being open! That is your happy place at home :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live for June-October when the patio is in full effect!

      Delete
  3. Do you ever look back on these times and marvel at how you managed to get through them? I tell you what, you need to order every fun drink and eat every delicious dish when your vacation finally arrives...you deserve all the treats!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realized over the weekend that the last two times he has this surgery, I wasn't working both jobs. I think that alone created some of the stress... worrying about leaving him plus being the only person to do anything that needed doing. It was a lot! I also found out there is a level of stress where I don't want adult beverages lol! In the whole two weeks I've had exactly 1 drink.

      Delete
  4. Hang in there Helen. This too shall pal, and the patio is calling!!! With a good martini! :) Thinking of you both and wishing Mr. H as speedy and full recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The patio does call but I've been too tired for a martini, believe it or not lol! Maybe this weekend :)

      Delete
  5. You poor thing! So glad that the worst seems to be in the rear view mirror, even if it's bumping up against your bumper. ;) Hope the trend continues, and glad he is appreciating you even more than normal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so nice when people actually notice all the work that you do, isn't it. It's not like you are sitting around eating bonbons on your days off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's why I look forward to vacation away from home so much - that's the closest I ever get to a true day off!

      Delete
  7. I remember how hard it was when R. broke his foot a couple of years ago. Only he couldn't move for 6 weeks or so. By the end I was tired of it and so was he. Now with my little patient it's different :)

    I hope Mr. Helen has a speedy recovery and things will be back to normal for you very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you do have your patio, so that when you do finally have a down minute or two, you have someplace you love to go to relax.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, that's a LOT of stress! I hope you're able to get some "Helen-time" soon!

    ReplyDelete