Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Tuesday Ten

1. Exciting times in the Helen household over the weekend as our little abode became wedding central.  Besides the wedding and reception items being shipped to the house, Little Helen and I went for her dress fitting.  The seamstress nailed the alterations in one try so we ended up picking the dress up and bringing it home.  She also tried on veils but didn't buy one as I think if she goes with a veil she wants it to more closely match her dress, but she did buy these beautiful earrings!

2.  We are in a weather pattern where we have fairly decent weather during the week then either cold and drab or rainy on the weekend.  This is not working out well for me to get to the beach.

3.  I don't often take many breaks at work but my bosses' son was in the office the other day and he asked me to play with him.  He'd gotten a ball toss toy and was dying to try it out.  After all was said and done I thought we could probably use some little kids around here to get all of moving more!

4. Does anyone know where the word "converse" went?  I know I'm going to sound like an old fuddy duddy but it seems that people are now using the word "conversate" and it's driving me nuts! Is that even a real word?

5. Every once in a while I see something shared on Facebook that makes me laugh right out loud.  I sent this one to Mr. Helen via text:
6. My struggle with exercise continues but I guess I should be satisfied with the fact that I am managing 3-4 decent workouts a week.  Honestly that's only 1 or 2 less than I normally do but it feels like a lot.  I just don't seem to have the energy to do more than what I'm doing right now though so I'll be satisfied with what I can get.

7.  While at the Bridal Salon, Little Helen and I both spied these shoes and wanted them.  However, this salon takes some consignment and this was a single pair (not our sizes) that could not be ordered. I took the photo in hopes of finding them online but they are from a shoe company in Pakistan.  I guess it's just not meant to be.  When I showed Mr. Helen he said, "No More Shoes!!!"  Yeah, like that's gonna happen.

8. I'm still feeling cranky about the random 10,000 step thing with the Fitbit and other fitness trackers.  I realize the idea is to get people to move more than they do as movement is better than being a couch potato.  But when I read (usually via FB) that someone is marching up and down in their kitchen so they can get in their steps, I just feel annoyed.  WHY?  First of all that's just a random number and secondly we don't all move the same amount every single day.  I'm cranky I tell ya!

9. I made the final payment on our vacation house in the Outer Banks so it's starting to feel like a vacation will be happening.  I am in dire need of it, I'll tell you that.  I'm pretty much at the point where every single day I think how much I don't want to go to work or do housework or chores or anything except sleep in and lay on a beach.


10.  In the best news we got all week, Mr. Helen is part of that huge data breach that the federal government had.  We will be spending the next couple of days enrolling in the protection offered.  But I think they're being chintzy - offering it for two years.  Plus it's not like the hackers aren't hearing this!!  They need to offer protection for life as far as I'm concerned.

13 comments:

  1. I bet you are certainly going to take full advantage of that vacation! Woo Hoo!

    The trackers and fitbit things annoy me, too. I guess they get you moving, but 10,000 is such a random number. It's funny because if I wear a tracker and ride for several hours, it tells me I hardly moved. :D

    Buy the shoes. John says that to me "No more trunks". Whatever... like I am going to listen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing comes between me and my shoe buying!

      Delete
  2. I read this article yesterday on Huffington Post about where the whole "10,000 steps" thing came from and laughed.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/science-of-us/10000-steps-walk-day_b_7604514.html?utm_hp_ref=healthy-living

    One more thing for us to feel unnecessarily guilty about, I guess! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That article is excellent and now I feel validated... or is it vindicated?

      Delete
  3. You know I am right with you on the dumb 10K steps randomness thing.

    Love the earrings Little H bought! So happy that her dress fitting was perfect and I can't wait to see pictures of her in all of her wedding glory!

    Ah, shoes. Why are they so appealing??

    We were part of the Target data breech and they only offered one year of monitoring. And yet, they still ask me if I want to apply for a credit card each time I shop there...HA!

    Outer Banks sounds like it's going to be WONDERFUL. I will be with you in my head...although I suspect you'll be having a better time than me, lol.

    OMG, that cartoon - I can see why it made you laugh!

    OK, that's it for now. Conversate with you later. (and NO, that's not a word...neither is "authored" (my pet peeve)).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a history.... not to mention a couple of times when a cc was used fraudulently with no breaches, first I was in the TJX breach, then Target, then Home Depot (that was a joint card though) and now this one. Every time they show that commercial for Life Lock I think I should probably sign up.

      Delete
  4. LOL at the cartoon. Being in the pool frequently, and living in an area heavy on the senior citizens, I have had similar thoughts myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Conversate" is NOT a word! I dislike it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you know me.
    I THINK NUMBER SIX ROCKS, is enough and you should congratulate YOU on.
    Because right now it is all you can do and so...it's PERFECT.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. First about the 10K steps a day. I looked it up, it's not just a random number. A Japanese scientist came up with it. The average person takes 6K steps a day, add 4K to that (is about a half hour walking) and your health improves. It's true because now I don't walk with Bella that much and my exercise s*cks I have an average of 6K a day. That said, I am not going running around the house to hit 10K. It is what it is and that's okay. I only look at my Fitbit when I go to bed, I am not obsessed with the number of steps.

    I also read the article as mentioned above and that makes sense too. 10K a day or not it's all about balance.

    I removed someone from my Fitbit list who had over 20K a day. When I asked her how she did that she said she jumped up and down while cooking f.e. Come on: act normal please!


    Happy to hear that your girl has found her wedding dress. And yes, you can't have enough shoes :) Men just don't understand that :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bring on the beach!!! Time for Vitamin Sea!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cartoon was hilarious!!! I know too many guys with moobs. (man boobs) Your pet peeve is conversate instead of converse. Mine is when I am going through the check out line anywhere (grocery store, movie theater, fueling up the truck) and the cashier says - Have a nice 'rest of your day'. Whatever happened to just have a nice day? Anyway...enjoy your daughters special day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't remember if you've been to the Outer Banks before but you'll love it. We used to vacation there when I was in my teens and it was amazing! I have a feeling I've already sent this to you, but my head is still in vacation mode! Here are her suggestions about the Outer Banks:

    Kitty Hawk:
    -we're huge fans of Black Pelican (lots of history there too- it's built around the old life saving station where the Wright Bros. sent their telegram that they completed the first flight)
    -Hurricane Mo's (right across the street from Black Pelican) has an amazing happy hour every single day (I think 3-5 in the summer) and do wings, tacos, shrimp & drink specials + the regular menu. We love their coconut rice!
    -Rundown Cafe has some unique carribean style food
    -Bad Bean or OBX Taco Bar unique yummy spins on southern/mexican
    Kill Devil Hills/Nags Head:
    -JK's has my death row meal. Their ribs are out of this world.
    -Henry's has an amazing breakfast til 1pm, I'm not that big of a fan of their lunch/dinner though
    -Mama Kwans has really long wait times but awesome drinks and food. We love their wonton apps and fish tacos
    -Colington Cafe is fancy, requires a reservation
    -Flying Fish cafe (we're going there next week for my moms bday)
    -Owens is a nice night out, been here really long. They serve crackers and melba toast with this cheese dip cup that I want to just eat with a spoon.
    I think that's all I can think of that we love and frequent! My parents have been to Captain George's seafood buffet & like it, if they're looking for something along those lines.

    ReplyDelete