Monday, June 8, 2015

Whine and Tea

**** WHINE ALERT ****

I seem to have lost my exercise mojo.  Besides the awful winter we had, there has just been one thing after another life-wise. I've been thrown off and can't seem to find my way back. We started to get a bit of decent weather then it rained for 4 straight days and the morning temps were down in the 40s.  I had to pull some long sleeved shirts and a vest back out of my winter tote.  For about a month prior to last week, I'd been lucky to get 3 workouts in.  Then this week, when I finally could resume things as normal, it took sheer willpower to run 2 times and get in 3 workouts where I did 2 miles of walking and 30 minutes of strength and core training.  Sheer willpower as in I actually told myself 'out loud' that workouts were non-negotiable. I can honestly say I did not enjoy one single workout and spent the whole time wishing I was done.  I always wonder what that mental discouragement does to the effects of the workout on the body.  In any case, I just felt like I was going through the motions.  And then, I woke up on Saturday and had the thought that if I never exercised again, I didn't care.  This is so unlike me. Even when my eating has been off to the point where I'd out-eat my exercise, exercise has been my thing. A very weird place for me to be mentally and physically.

I think part of it is my continued discouragement with my weight and size.  I'm not gaining or losing, just sort of steadily maintaining the extra weight I don't want.  I try not to think about it but most every day as I get dressed, I feel upset about the things I have to wear right now and then I just feel sad about it.  Mr. Helen keeps telling me to to just let it go but I can't seem to do that.

I have also been wondering if this BLAH feeling is also the result of not having a vacation yet. Usually we vacation somewhere warm in May but this year put it off until August due to Little Helen's wedding. I keep not wanting to go to work - either job - so I think I'm really missing that break I would have had by now.

Whatever it is, I'm ready for it to be over with. I want to feel better mentally, emotionally, and physically. I'm sick and tired of feeling sick and tired.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, enough whining - how about some good news?

My sister, who is my daughter's maid of honor, decided to throw her a fancy tea for her bridal shower. Since she is the only attendant, my mother and I were going to help her, but then she found a place that would do a full on English High Tea at a very reasonable price. We figure between ingredients and our time, we'd probably spend about that much per person anyway.  It's a big old Inn and we are hoping the weather cooperates so we can have it on the patio which is shaded by huge trees.  If not they will accommodate us inside.  As the inn is about 15 miles from my house, I went and looked at the property and took a photo and video for my sister to see.

Outside of the Inn.  The patio is under that clump of trees on the left of the photo.

Patio Video
video


The Inn only has plain white cups and saucers so I told my sister that my contribution would be pretty tea cups and saucers.  I looked around at some yard sales and consignment shops but realized it was going to take much longer than I had to get that many together.  Then I went to Home Goods and found some for only $1 more than what the consignment shop wanted.  Unfortunately, I procrastinated while I looked around some more and by the time I went back, they only had 5 (I need to buy 30 and then return what we don't use).  I decided to stop at Marshall's since they're owned by the same corporation and got 3 more.  At that point I was trying to decide if I should just order them online for more than I wanted to pay when I remembered that 20 minutes south of my town there is another Home Goods/Marshall's.  After work last Tuesday, I drove there and hit the motherload!  I was able to buy another 22 sets and the best news is that I can return what we don't use at the Home Goods and Marshall's that are right around the corner from my house.  Now to just wait and see how many RSVP and then to decide which cups to use as we have all sorts of different patterns.  It should make the tables really pretty.

We are going to give each person the tea cup to take as their favor.  Fun, right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My wedding outfit is complete and I have manicure, pedicure, and hair appointments all set.  I'm actually going to throw a few highlights into my hair and then on the wedding day, I'm getting an updo. Since Little Helen is getting married an hour away from where we live, I've been corresponding via text with the salon and stylist who will be doing my hair.  For once I've been thankful for that newfangled texting thing!

Here's a collage of my whole outfit plus what I'm going to do with my nails!




The last big thing that needs to be done is to get Mr. Helen to buy a suit.  Even though the wedding is about 6 weeks out, it's starting to feel like it's all over but the vows!  Which means it's only about 60 days to vacation.  Yeah, I'm definitely in countdown mode.

10 comments:

  1. Love your out fit for your daughters wedding. The dress is so pretty and I like your accessories too.

    We all go through times when we have the exercise blahs even those of who have been exercising a long time. 18 years for me this year.You are not alone hopefully your vacation will get here soon. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take a mini vacation Helen. Just do it - even if it is you going to a nearby town by yourself overnight and hitting a spa. It will do you wonders. It's a bit of a drive, but Radiance Manor has a nice guest room now if you want cheap lodging :D

    I am so sorry you are feeling blah about exercise and down about yourself. It is hard to accept when you want to change, but nothing is happening.

    I love the idea of the favors for the bridal shower and that inn looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful dress, and I love your idea of a High English Tea, for Little Helen's bridal shower. That will be so elegant. But if it's too windy (we fight the wind here in Nebraska--maybe you don't have that as much), I'd have the tea inside instead. I know I would love to take home a pretty little teacup as a favor from a shower, another great idea! Try not to get too stressed out by all the little details, by your lack of enjoyment in exercise and stagnation in the weight department (it's better than a GAIN), and ENJOY the moment! It'll all be over before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be a combination of no vacation, plus all the extra stuff (Mr. H's surgery/recovery, THE WEDDING) that is causing your brain to just say no to exercise. And it's OK, really - you'll get your mojo back. Too bad we don't live closer - I'm discovering that early morning is where it's at for me, and even though I have an exercise buddy at the gym, I am just not feeling the 5:30 pm workouts.

    Love the tea bridal shower idea - and the cup favors are going to be so special! Of course you know I love your dress for the wedding and the colors - the gold and seafoam/mint/whatever the current name of that color is are so pretty together. Also I want those earrings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny because the week after my Spartan race I had no exercise mojo at all - when I thought I'd be on this high and thought "what else can I do?!" Then I got bronchitis which sidelined me last week, and by Tuesday I was wishing I could go to the gym. Happy to say I am 90% back and plan on getting my walking shoes on at lunch - hope you find your mojo Helen!

    I LOVE LOVE your outfit choices - I am not even a fan of gold for myself, but I know it will look awesome on you!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tea sounds like a great idea and the teacups as favors is awesome!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will look stunning at Little Helen's wedding, love the tea idea, and try and be kind to yourself my friend. We ALL go through "mojo-less" times!!! Hang in there, and hug.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Helen you will look so beautiful at the wedding, I absolutely love love love the dress!

    I recognize the exercise mojo, still trying to get back at it. This week I have put on my running clothes 2 days in a row and never went. But I keep putting them on and tomorrow is another day. It might be a good idea to use Lori's suggestion and just book an overnight away, there must be options that aren't too expensive.

    Hang in there girl, you will feel better sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That dress looks like it was made for you and only you. You're going to rock it.

    I have no doubt you'll find your exercise mojo again. With so much going on right now, it's no wonder it's a little wobbly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is going to sound weird, but you have the nicest voice. I watched your video and it's the first time I've heard you speak. I've read your blog for at least the last five years. It was fun to hear you talk. You have a slight accent that's different than what I hear on the West coast. Anyway, very pretty place and I loved your teacup challenge. So glad it all worked out :)

    Beautiful outfit and accessories. I think you missed your true calling. You should be a personal shopper or a professional stylish for the stars. Your outfits are also very glamorous and pulled together.

    I hear you on the exercise bump in the road. I'd been steadily walking at lunch and going to the gym 3 to 4 times a week, then last Thursday I completely stopped for five days. Yesterday I got my groove back, walked at lunch and gym last night. It's so weird how it comes and goes. I know that feeling though, when you hit the wall and just don't want to do it anymore. You'll get past the bump. Maybe not until after the wedding. Working two jobs certainly sounds difficult. Maybe you're just tired and your body is demanding a break. Maybe listen to your body and just let things be for now until after the wedding and vacation. Just a thought. :)

    ReplyDelete