Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Just Life

Ya'll know how I love to run this time of year, especially during honeysuckle blooming time.  Here's a whole wall of honeysuckle that is so close to my house that I try to route myself by it at least once every run!  I took this shot using the panorama feature on my iPhone.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With all the events in the Helen household lately, I have begun to believe the art of RSVP is completely and totally lost.  For Mr. Helen's party, Little Helen's shower AND the wedding, I've had to contact people to find out if they were planning on attending.  I am dumbfounded that people don't understand RSVP means respond.  Respond yes or no, but respond.  What has made this all harder is that all three of these events were extended family events and believe it or not, some folks got upset that I contacted them again.  Right now, I've got two holdouts on the shower.  A lot of thought has gone into it, including buying tea cups and chocolates for the attendees.  I don't want anyone embarrassed but what am I to do?  Mr. Helen said let them be embarrassed and have to have a plain white tea cup from the venue - that's what they get for not responding.  It's such a dilemma!  I will be ever so glad when all this is over and I don't have to deal with these non-responding fools.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking of the tea cups, when I bought them they had ribbons already tied around them.  I had to take them apart to wash them, then put them all back together.  My mucho macho man offered to help me tie the ribbons back on them.  He also said he wanted to pay for the chocolates.  I don't thing I've ever seen him so excited about a bridal shower LOL!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I got to my beloved beach THREE times in the four days I had off.  I'm finally looking a bit less pale so I guess I won't have to get that spray tan after all.  On two of those days, the beach got so crowded that the police had to come help with the traffic, both drive-in and walk-in.  Thankfully, I had gone early enough that I had no problem and I also left a bit early.  I didn't know it was possible for the beach to get too crowded for me, but it did!  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The 4th of July was actually pretty crappy weather  here- overcast and a bit cool and humid which is weird.  We weren't invited to any cookouts, and we're throwing enough parties this year that we didn't want to host one, so we decided to take some cheese and bread and head out to the winery.  We relaxed out there a couple of hours then came home figuring we'd end up Netflixing since the weather wasn't great.  Suddenly, right around 5 p.m., the sky just broke out bright blue and the sun came out.  We ended up sitting on the patio reading and talking and for dinner.  I love this photo of Mr. Helen taken on the fourth while we sat on the patio talking and listening to neighbors setting off fireworks. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Over this long weekend, Mr. Helen and I were talking about a staycation and have decided that we are not good at it.  I said if we could just stay home and act the same as we do on an away vacation, i.e., spend our time together, sleep in, do whatever we want, eat out, no phones, fun activities, etc. I would do it.  When I put it that way he agreed it would be hard not to be sucked back in... and the proof was that though we had several days off together, each of us did chores, dealt with family, and did other things without each other.  Plus, of course, I cooked quite a bit.

My friend Lori posted a link to this article: "Mom Spends Beach Vacation Assuming All Household Duties In Closer Proximity To Ocean."  Click there and read that - it short, funny, and true.  Sigh.  She has a good strategy though in insisting they eat out every few days.  I'm thinking I insist to Mr. Helen that we eat out one meal each day, I honestly don't care which!

I guess that's about all for now - life is pretty much filled up with working for the weekends and the house is wedding central.  But tell me, how do you feel about RSVPs and staycations?

13 comments:

  1. RSVP is just manners. Plain and simple.

    I have never done a staycation. I am thinking of one this year just so I can do all the things that I want to get done but working keeps me from doing. Mostly fun stuff, but I don't know how relaxing it would be. Of course, I don't know how it would feel since I actually work from home, you know?

    Our state parks get really crowded here and they have to close entry sometimes because so many people come. It's always best to go early (and often :D )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beach has been making headlines. There were 16,000 people who came in and paid on July 3rd. That doesn't even include season pass like me. OY! And yes, both my beach and the nearby state parks with camping and beaches all closed up by noon on both Friday and Sunday which were the good weather days.

      Delete
  2. It is VERY rude not to rsvp. And it blows me away that people don't respond. (we were calling people 2 days before our wedding....it made me really mad. And frankly, my opinion of a couple of our friends changed a bit because of it.) The teacups are lovely! Hang in Helen!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a table of 10 that didn't even show up for my wedding, but we had our reception in the fellowship hall of our church and it was a buffet luncheon so it wasn't the end of the world, other than my feelings were hurt. And yes, I've since to invite anyone who was at that table to a major life event again.

      Delete
  3. rude not to RSVP. I have a staycation coming up on July 25th for a week! Hope it's relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your staycation is relaxing as well!

      Delete
  4. If it says RSVP: answer it! But what I find even more rude and annoying is saying you will come and then cancel last minute without a clear reason. Happened to us once when we were throwing a party and not just with one but with a couple of people. By then it was too late to change orders I had made for BBQ meat and I got stuck with many leftovers.

    Staycation: love it! This will be the third year in a row we are having one although this one wasn't planned. We can't go anywhere now Bella isn't her old self yet (we might go away a couple of days in week 31). I am pretty good at it: I clean my house on Monday morning of the week and that's it. We try to go out once a week for dinner but other days I cook because I don't mind doing it. Besides that I just do what I want, time for hobbies where I don't have that much time for when I'm working.

    Glad to hear you got to go to your beloved beach three times last weekend! Here's to more sunny days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are still having sort of odd summer weather - cloudy/rainy about every other day. Right now, I am praying and crossing fingers and toes that the sunny days are on the next few weekends so that Little Helen's shower and wedding are covered!!

      Delete
  5. The only way a stay cation has worked for me was when I actually made a plan and even a schedule. And then I loved it! The schedule was not so much to keep me doing things on my stay cation, but to keep me from reverting back to doing regular stuff.

    I have conflicting thoughts about the RSVP. I think people 1) don't want to commit, 2) don't really want to reply that they are not coming, and 3) even if they do reply that they are coming, you can't count on that. I don't have a ton of experience entertaining, but I did work with women's ministries, and "the list" never worked. We would just have to do a guestimate of how many women would show up, and go from there. Even at the one event where they had to pay (ladies' tea) there was a lot of last minute cancellations AND panicked "can I attend?" calls the morning of the tea! I bet there's information out there on "if you invite ___ number of people to an event, ___% will probably attend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking about your comment and you've pretty much described what happened with my two holdouts. One of them said she was waiting until that day to decide if she wanted to come (I flat out told her I'd take that as a no), and the other said she was trying to decide if she could just pop in between other things she wanted to do that day. So there's the non-commitment in a nutshell.

      Delete
  6. The RSVP thing drives me crazy - and I got to experience it recently with the bridal shower...it's hard for a planner like me to wait to purchase all the items based on who RSVP'd, so I ended up returning some things. Of course we had way too much food, but better that than running out? Sigh. A good friend of mine joked that she only sent in her RSVP for the WEDDING because she knew it meant a lot to the bride...hello, it was a sit-down dinner reception!!! Of course it meant a lot ($$$) to the bride! Geez.

    After being away for a vacation, I have to say that it feels different than just taking some days off of work (which is what Jeff usually does) - staycations are the norm for us. We both remarked that we needed to remember to actually GO on a vacation more than once every five years or so, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Helen and I took ZERO vacations the first 10 years of our marriage, then went to St. Martin for our much delayed honeymoon. After that, I told him that I didn't care how we managed but I wanted us to go away for one week each year and honestly, I've never regretted that. There's just something about leaving regular life behind!

      While the RSVPs for Mr. Helen's party were frustrating, that was a buffet. The shower is a formal sit-down full on English tea with place settings. We need to know, dammit!!

      Delete
  7. I don't know how I missed this post Helen! Getting so excited for all the stuff going on in your life - I am always the first to RSVP - I think it's rude to not let the party know if you are coming or going - because I've hosted events where I didn't hear back and assumed that was a no - and then people just showed up!

    ReplyDelete