Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Scattered

I know it's because of the busy-ness of the wedding festivities but I really don't like feeling so scattered.  I'm going in every direction and not quite sure I'm accomplishing anything.

Exercise is still spotty and eating is spot on some days and very terrible and scattered as well on others.  Too many times on days off I find I don't eat at all until late in the afternoon.  Not good but I'm so busy I feel there's no time.  Probably what I should do is buy a few Chocolate Muscle Milk and have those on hand.  I mean, how hard is it to open a protein drink, insert straw and consume it?

The weekend was a whirlwind of activity.  I had to work at the biggest kids event that the mall has.  It was an outdoor petting zoo with pony rides and vendors.  Woke up Saturday to very bright blue clear skies and forecast of 85 degrees by noon.  I knew two things:  sunblock would be my best friend, and we'd probably not have a huge attendance.  I was correct on both accounts.  I think the attendance issue was also affected by the fact that both one of the biggest agricultural fairs and the huge downtown fair with fireworks were on the same day.  Live and learn I guess.

Got home Saturday afternoon and Little Helen and fiance had arrived so we all went downtown to explore the vendors and have a bite to eat.  Little Helen was so funny because never at any point did she get her own food - she just kept eating bits of what everyone else bought, then said she was full. We went home then walked back downtown (it's about 2 miles from my house) for the fireworks extravaganza.  The show is put on over the river and really is spectacular.  As Little Helen told E., "When you grow up with this show, it's hard to find any other as good."

Sunday morning was another bright blue skied day but even warmer and more humid.  More importantly it was the day of Little Helen's Bridal Tea.  I think I may have gotten a taste of what the wedding day could be like because if something could happen to go wrong, it did.  Probably some of the time I should have been doing other things to be ready, I was ooohing and ahhhing over items for the wedding that have been shipped to the house.  Which in turn made some things a bit rushed.  The worst of it all came when I went to get dressed... I had bought a new outfit - a top and skirt ensemble.  The top has cut in shoulders, just like the dress I bought for the wedding, so I'd also bought a new 5-way bra, that I intended to wear as strapless.  However, I went to take the straps off and no matter what I did, couldn't get them off!  This sent me scrambling to find another strapless that would work.  Then as I went to put the skirt on, I discovered the security tag was still attached.  Which meant an extra stop at the mall to have it removed.  When I tell you I marched in Macy's with my fabulous top, my rhinestone "mother of the bride" pin attached, some cargo shorts, and high heels, that should give you a vivid picture.  Mr. Helen said, I bet they took one look at you and thought we're not going to mess around with this woman, at all." (He was right.)  I slapped the skirt and the receipt (more scrambling as I had to look for that) on the counter and said, "I am on the way to my daughter's bridal shower and just discovered one of your incompetent employees did not remove this tag.  How I got out of the store with it on there, I will never know, but I did!" The lady didn't even blink, or look at my receipt.  She just looked at me and said, "Oh my goodness. I am so sorry." Then she took the tag off and pointed me to the closest dressing room so I could put the skirt on.

Talk about feeling scattered!!  But finally my sister and I were on the highway and... ran into the typical Sunday afternoon backup on the highway. I was trying very hard to take deep breaths and not worry that we'd get there in time to set up because I knew the groom's mother was the type to arrive early - and I was correct as she arrived 20 minutes before the shower start time. My sister said later she thought I was going to have a stroke in the car.

Somehow, it all came together anyway, and I'll show you more of that on Thursday.  I'll tell you what though, I do not understand how people can function in that manner all the time... flying by the seat of their pants every which way.  After all that, I'm certain that planning, planning, pre-planning and more planning is ever so much better.

15 comments:

  1. I once got back (to Indiana) from a trip to Denver, with a security tag still attached. I have no idea if set off alarms the whole way or not, no one ever stopped me. This was about 1984 or 1985. Yes, involved Denver airport and O'Hare in Chicago. When I discovered the tag, then I had to go all over my local mall (Indiana) to find a store with the right device to remove it. Very silly.

    I am a planner too. I agree, far less stress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm like you, I'd rather be early and calm than late (or even on time, really), and frazzled. Glad you didn't let the craziness of the shower morning get to you, and thanks for the reminder about the security tag - I've been setting off store alarms with my new purse, and keep meaning to search it for a hidden magnetic strip. Found it after I read your post, woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny about your tag! Yeah, this taught me a lesson to get myself completely prepped prior to the wedding morning if I can. The wedding stuff is so fun, it's hard not to get swept away.

      Delete
  3. Love that you handled the tag like a boss! :D I would have loved to see that.

    Being frazzled sucks. I think when your life normally goes along on an even keel, it feels that much more stressful when frazzled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also forgot to mention. Get some Zone bars to keep in your purse or desk so you have something quick to eat that is somewhat nutritious. They have some really, really good flavors now like salted caramel brownie (!!!) and apple gingersnap.

      Delete
    2. Bars are a great idea. I guess I'm usually just so focused on "real" food that I never think of those things!

      Delete
  4. I love your fireworks shots. Did you have to use a special setting on your camera to get those?

    I am in complete agreement--I like to have a plan with plenty of time for everything. But in the end it sounded like you had an excellent day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, I took those shots with my iPhone 5S. Left it on HDR setting with no flash and managed to get some pretty good shots.

      Delete
  5. I would totally freak out if I had a day like you did. I don't like it when things don't go as planned. But in the end: you were in time and I bet you gave little Helen a fantastic bridal shower. Look forward to the next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, I was freaking out, but it was hard because my sister kept making fun of me - which made me laugh in the end!

      Delete
  6. ahhh frazzled
    I know ye well
    YOU ARE ROCKING IT SO MUCH MORE THAN I DO, and I have to add "spotty" with the healthy living is FAR BETTER than nothing.
    Youre doing GREAT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've learned that if you do the best you can in the situation you're in, it's ok, and the ship will eventually right itself.

      Delete
  7. OMG Helen, I could just picture you stomping into the store with a stern look on your face! So happy that the event turned out alright in the end, but what stress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad all worked out well for the tag, and the bridal shower!!!!!

    ReplyDelete