Thursday, August 6, 2015

Finally! The Reception and After Party

Sorry for the delay in getting this posted.  I have just been inundated at work and working the part time job to the point where if I am home and could put a post together, I don't want to be anywhere near a computer!

In any case, when I last left you the happy couple was newly married and we were off to the reception.  I have to apologize for the lack of great photos because by the time we got there the cocktail hour was in full swing and people were clamoring at us the minute we walked in.  I can still tell you what the menu was though!  

There was a Tuscan Table with all sorts of thinly sliced meats, olives, cheeses and dips.  That was nearly wiped out by the time we arrived.

Then there were the butlered hors d'oeuvres:

  • Chimichurri Chicken Skewer
  • Chicken & Waffle
  • Duck Confit Tostado
  • Salmon Galette
  • Asian Beef Skewer
  • Truffle Risotto Balls
  • Pickled Yellow Beet & Goat Cheese
  • Passed Sushi 
  • Shrimp Cocktail
We both missed out on some of these as well.  I had the Risotto Ball and Shrimp Cocktail.  Mr. Helen managed both of those plus the Duck and Salmon.  Little Helen and E. didn't get a single appetizer so when we sat down to eat and the coordinator came over, she said, "I want a plate of the appetizers."  They brought everything and that's when I got to have a bite of the Chicken & Waffle which turned out to be my favorite of all of them.

Here's a look at the room before anyone got there.  I got this photo thanks to the DJ, who has practically become our family DJ what with him doing Mr. Helen's 60th as well.


Shot of Don Dada doing his thing.  He kept the party jumping!

Finally at 1:30 (!!!)after signing their Connecticut marriage license and Ketubah they came into the room to the sounds of "Uptown Funk" by Bruno Mars.  I love this shot because it shows how gorgeous her dress was bustled up (it took three of us to do it lol!), plus I love the way E. is looking at her.


Then they did their dance to John Legend's "All of Me."  You know that was a song I had gotten tired of but watching them dance to it, it suddenly had completely different meaning.  Very special and sweet.

Finally we got to eat from the amazing food buffet which had 3 types of salad, 3 carving stations, grilled vegetable platter, Lobster mac and cheese, sweet potato hash, lentils, breads, etc.  The food was delicious! I'm hoping someone took photos of the setup - that will be another photo I'll share at a later time if I ever get one.

After our meal, there were toasts and cake and dancing until the very last minute!

They spent a lot of time looking at each other like this... it was sweet.

The cake was four layer white cake with vanilla butter cream.  But between the layers was raspberry, buttercream, and lemon.  So a slice had all those flavors!

At 4:30 the newlyweds Ubered back to the hotel, while we stayed behind to collect all the decorations and flowers and miscellaneous stuff.  (Hoping for photos of some of these things too!)  Then we went back to the hotel to change for the After Party.

The After Party was paid for by Mr. Helen and me, but put together and thrown at Mr. Helen's baby sister's house.  We honestly wondered how many people would show up but 90% of those at the wedding came!  I think because the wedding was small, at no point did anyone feel overwhelmed, and I know for E.'s side it had been a long time since so many of them were together.  

Mr. Helen's sister has a nice house with an above-ground pool, a patio area, and a fire pit area, all of which were used and enjoyed.  We kept the menu simple: Wine, beer, softdrinks and water, a table with cheese, crackers, chips, and dips, and then a slider bar with hamburgers, chicken burgers and pulled pork.  Potato Salad, fruit salad, a corn and black bean salsa, and leftover wedding and groom's cake for dessert.  
Little Helen and her Auntie T., the hostess

Cheese, Crackers, Chips, Dip, Fruit, Crudite

Slider Bar and Accompaniments

Kids in the Pool

Group Shots



Mr. Helen with best friend, the only non-blood "family" invited to the wedding
and his dad - can you believe he's 87!!

First photo ever taken of the brothers and their wives!

A fantastic time for all of us - two families joined and many new Facebook friends lol!  Even though it has only been 12 days, some of it is already a blur, but the happy feelings will be there every time we look at the photographic evidence.

That's a wrap on Wedding Weekend and I'll be off the grid for a bit - vacation is coming up fast!

6 comments:

  1. Dang, that wedding food sounds amazing! Typical of the B&G to not get any apps (our friends in Santa Fe didn't, either), but good thinking on Little Helen's part to request a plate of them when they sat down!

    What a fun reception - you can tell that E is smitten with your girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay - I learned a new word. I didn't know butler could be a verb! :D

    That sounds like a fantastic reception, too. I love the casual party, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful wedding, you guys sure know how to celebrate! I especially love the after party, great idea.

    Usually weddings here have the wedding party at night and therefore I have never had an after party.

    Beautiful day and thank you so much for sharing it with us.

    And now up to the next fun event: vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the recap Helen! And I agree - I love how they look into each others eyes :D So happy you are almost on vacation too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! on the food. And the cake looks and sounds delicious. When you got to the after-party, I was "what?, aren't they full?" but then when I saw it, that seems like such a great idea. Just a nice way to relax and enjoy each other and the day.

    ReplyDelete