Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Feelings, Woah Woah Woah Feelings





I was going to do a Tuesday Ten but then I decided I'd just chat at the blog.  Don't have a lot to write about but here's some life miscellany that has brought on ALLLLLLL the feelings.

2015 has been an exciting year around the Helen household with a big birthday, wedding, and martial arts promotion.  It has been one adreneline rush, then crash, right after the other since May.  I think my adrenals need a rest.

Mr. Helen tested for and was awarded his Fourth Degree Black Belt last weekend.  As when I tested it was separated into three two-hour segments.  After the second segment, one of the mothers of another testing student came to me and said, "Tell him I am going to tape him for the last segment, I wish I'd thought of it earlier."  (She's a physical therapist.) He had taped himself but after all the sprints, running, etc. he was starting to limp.  She did a great job!  She recommended we change the tape as in her opinion, KT tape is crap.  I have to admit, the tape she used is still on his legs and we're on day 3 now. So we've ordered the new stuff: RockTape.  If you look closely at that photo you can still see a mark on his left knee (right in the photo) where the surgeon inserted the instrument to repair his meniscus.  Not to mention he's had surgery on both knees and two on that left knee.  Plus he strained his calf doing sprints about two weeks ago.  He needs all the tape he can get right now!


A lot of people don't realize that to get an advanced belt requires a lot of year-round training.  In this case, 14 years!!  It really is quite the accomplishment and I'm proud of him. Now I'm hoping he'll take it easy for a bit and let his body heal.  But you know he went right back to karate class last night.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday night before the testing began on Friday, my little city made national news because we flooded.  It was the absolute perfection definition of "flash" flood.  Thankfully we didn't have any damage even though the rain came so hard and fast, it pushed through closed windows! But Mr. Helen got home right after the flash so he was able to wipe up water.  The water also filled our driveway and the small drain we have at the end couldn't keep up so it went straight under the garage door and flooded the floor.  We didn't have anything that could be water damaged sitting on the floor, so we really lucked out.  We needed rain because it has been so dry, our foliage started changing a couple of weeks ago but goodness knows we did not need it that way!  Both of these photos were taken right around the corner from my house!!



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are a couple of new wedding shots for you - done by the professional photographer.  He took 787 photos in all... so hard to choose which to buy!  I'm buying a few (because $$$) and then I'm relying on other photos shared with me to put together a photo book for myself.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Monday morning I got up to work out and it had turned to fall overnight.  I dressed to run then went outside and walked right back in and changed from shorts to capris.  I also wore long pants to work for the first time in months.  I'm so not ready for this.  SO. NOT. READY.  To add insult to injury, I'm getting a flu vaccine today.  That means the cold train is chugging down the track. This is a photo of North West but I'm pretty sure it's how my face looked when I realized the temperature.  Actually it's probably how my face looks most of the time from October to June. (And any time I'm dealing with idiotic people which is a lot between my mall job and the elections and politics that are upon us again...)

12 comments:

  1. Can you imagine being a child and in the spotlight like North West is? I'd probably be making that face all the time! It's funny how we get a teaser of cool weather and everyone is happy here, but you are all "keep the heat" - crazy woman. You really need to move to Texas. ;)

    The professional wedding pictures are so good! Too bad they're so expensive, but I know you'll enjoy every one you end up buying.

    That flash flood looks like what happens here in Texas - it's incredible how fast it happens. Glad you guys were safe and didn't have any damage.

    I've had some Rock Tape for a couple of years now - don't use it often, but it does stay stuck, which is more than I can say for KT Tape. I just figured with the humidity, we sweated off the KT adhesive easier, which is why it never worked very well for me and my runner friends. But Rock Tape? The bomb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like North West is my spirit animal. Every photo she's making a face and I think it's hilarious - she's not famous, why does she have to like all the stupid people LOLOL!!

      I think Mr. Helen is going t take the tape off today - I'm just amazed that he's choosing to take it off and that it didn't just come off.

      Delete
  2. Congrats to Mr. Helen again - that is an amazing achievement and testatment to how drive he is (and you both are, it seems).

    I decided that I am taking a new attitude towards winter this year. We got a new fireplace insert ordered, so I will have that, plus my heated fleece blanket. I am going to be thankful that we only have one house to take care of in winter instead of two and a brand new driveway to work with. I am usually okay in winter until we hit late January. Then I am tired of it.

    That greenhouse photo is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should be 'driven' and not drive in the first sentence. I can't believe I type and correct grammar for a living...

      Delete
    2. Ha ha, I always wish Blogger had an edit button! That's one of my favorite things they ever added to Facebook.

      I tried the new attitude thing last year and we had the worst winter ever. This year I think I'm just going to totally embrace my hate. Though that may mean I have to stay off social media since my own sister told me my winter posts are depressing.

      There's also a black and white of the greenhouse photo which I LOVE. I'm debating getting a double 5x7 frame for the two photos.

      Delete
  3. I absolutely LOVE that picture of Little Helen - probably my favorite pic I've seen so far of her. And I had no idea that tape could help that much?! I know you are proud of him, but like you, I hope he settles down a bit and let's his body recover.

    It was 49 degrees this morning when I woke up, although it will be close to 80 today - I don't mind the cooler temps :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will tolerate the cooler temps once summer is officially over. Until then, no cold temps, no pumpkin anything!! And really, I feel like fall owes me an extra couple weeks of summer since it was cold and rainy here for all of June.

      Delete
  4. I am the opposite of you--Fall is one of my favorite seasons! I'm sure its partly because our winter is not as dramatic as yours. But I have a neighbor who is like you. She loves the heat and she loves the pool, or whatever water is available!

    I think I mentioned on FB that I had been in a flash flood like that--and how crazy was it that you had that flash flood on the same day as our big fire started out here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tolerate fall but I've realized that it has come to signal the death of everything I love so I find myself just wishing it would go away. And I'm sure our harsh winters that follow do not help.

      I hope they are getting that fire under control out there!

      Delete
    2. 45% contained this morning! Woo hoo!!!

      Delete
  5. Mr. Helen's achievement is amazing and an inspiration that you can stay healthy when you get older.

    Lovely photo's of the wedding.

    I am ready for fall but we are different in that as you know. I was running this week in my capris and thought I need to switch to long pants too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to the Mister!!!

    I was reading I was thinking...I need to switch from KT to the mystery awesome tape and was formulating my message to ask...I should have known you would have us covered and tell us what to use!!!!!!

    Lovely pics of the wedding! I always think it's such a shame to not have all of the pictures. But they charge so much! :-(

    ReplyDelete