Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Roasted Salsa Verde

I usually grow a few things in pots on the patio every year - tomatoes and basil are a must - but I've done other things over the years with varying success. I had determined that I was only going to have basil and tomatoes this year due to our busy summer with the wedding and then vacation, but then my friend gave me some tomatillo plants.

I didn't know a thing about growing them but I stuck them in a giant pot and hoped for the best, as I usually do as my thumb tends towards dark brown.  I did know they would take a long time to be ready for picking and true enough, I finally had some to harvest this last week.



I knew I was going to make salsa verde aka green tomatillo salsa, but I've never done it before so I looked up a bunch a recipes, then came up with this one on my own.

First you take all the tomatillos and take the outer papery cover off them and rinse the sticky residue off.  Cut them in half and place them face down on a baking sheet.  Take a jalapeno or two (or you could use serrano peppers), cut in half and seed and put that on the baking sheet as well.  Put your broiler on high and put the tomatillos and peppers under the broiler for 5-6 minutes until brown and roasted.

While the tomatillos are roasting, grab some onion, cilantro, garlic, and whirl it in the food processor. Add a little salt and squeeze a lime into that mix.


When the tomatillos/peppers are done, put them in the food processor and whirl it all around for a couple of minutes.

Using a rubber spatula and a funnel, pour this into some sort of jar and voila!  Roasted Salsa Verde.


You can use this salsa for dipping, as a sauce over chicken or pork or enchiladas.

I knew the real test would be Mr. Helen's opinion and he told me last night that between this salsa and my gucamole (which he's been trying to get me to take to farmer's markets for years), that there must be some Mexican in my blood.  Pretty high praise for a simple salsa!


Roasted Salsa Verde

1 1/2 lbs. tomatillos, husked, cleaned, cut in half
1-2 jalapeno peppers, seeded, cut in half (the more you use, the spicier it will be)
1 small white onion
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
1 tsp. salt
1 lime

Put cut tomatillos and peppers on a baking sheet.  Put broiler on high and broil until skins are browned and blistered.

White tomatillos are roasting, put the onion, garlic and cilantro in a food processor.  Whirl until finely chopped.  Add salt, lime juice and roasted tomatillos and peppers and whirl again until very well chopped up.

Put salsa in a jar - will keep in the refrigerator for several weeks.

7 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! Love the vibrant green color - wish I could dip a chip into it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the acidity of salsa verde - it's good on chicken, eggs, on top of burgers - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I have not made any salsa this year. Well, part of my reluctance is because I love it with chips…too much :) But I think I will use your recipe to make some roasted tomato salsa--that will work, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think that would work. I love all types of salsa on so many things - I really love it on eggs and also over cottage cheese.

      Delete
  4. That looks so good! You think with all the plant growing I do that I would have fresh produce, but nope LOL!

    ReplyDelete