Monday, November 2, 2015

Hashtag Fail... But All Is Not Lost

Why is it that when you put your best foot and intentions forward it seems like the universe gathers everything to slay the dragon... and YOU are the dragon?

Not that I needed them, but I got a lot of reminders that just because something fails, all is not lost.

I did much better with my food than I have been, I suspect because I committed to honestly tracking every single bite.  Funny how if I have to "admit" eating that handful of chips I suddenly can find something else to do besides shove food in my mouth.  Well most of the time anyway.  On the one occasion that I #failed I went all in.  I would like to blame Mr. Helen for the wine he put in front of me and the Cheez-It/Triscuit snack he made but you know, I am an adult and all I had to do was say no.  But the situation did give me the chance to remind myself that just because that's how it went down Tuesday evening after work didn't mean that even my very next meal wasn't a chance for a do-over.  As the week went on, that got better.  So, I'd give myself an A for effort and a solid B for reality.

As I mentioned I signed up for a class through my city's rec department and spent all of last Thursday looking forward to going to the class.  Even the fact that I was home for well over an hour before I had to leave did not deter me.  I know that sounds weird, but 4 p.m., when I'm walking through the door (unless I've run errands), is my absolute brain-hazed, "boy am I tired" time. For me to come home, change into workout clothes, then have 45 minutes to an hour to sit means I also have 45 minutes to an hour to contemplate how tired I am and how I do not want to go back out.  I expect this to be worse this week now that it's dark so early.

I did decide, based on last Thursday, that once I'm changed into workout clothes, I'm going to clean something so I can keep moving until I move myself out the door.  But I digress...

I changed, then sipped on some water and watched a DVR'd show before I left.  Drove to school gymnasium where the class was being held and walked in wondering how many people would be there.  Imagine my surprise when I opened the door to the gym and there was... no one.  I looked at the clock on the wall and it said 5:25.  Huh, the class starts at 5:30 so where is everybody?  At 5:45 I dejectedly walked out and drove back home.

You can just imagine what my brain did with that. I'm sure I don't even have to explain how utterly disappointed I was.  I called the Rec department and left a message for them to call me on Friday, all the while feeling very sorry for myself.

The one good thing is that I reminded myself that THEIR fail did not mean "I" failed and I did not go home and comfort myself with food.  I ate a sensible dinner and called it a night, going to be bed early enough to get up Friday morning and work out.

They did call me Friday and apologized profusely because they had changed the venue to another school and absolutely no one could figure out how I was never notified.  They also said I could make the class up so that means one week I'll be taking the class Tuesday and Thursday.  I'll take that as a win.

On to another good week.





11 comments:

  1. Man - that sucks on the change of venue. Do you get some sort of discount at not being notified?

    Sometimes it is just hard when stuff is in your face in your home environment. Yes, you are an adult and can make choices, but if your spouse buys M&Ms on Halloween clearance (ahem...John) and they are in the house, constantly trying *not* to eat them can be wearing or annoying - or both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No discount, I just get to take the class one extra day to make up for the lost class.

      Delete
  2. I get that about getting home and being so done with the day. So I am doubly impressed with your resolve to go back out to an exercise class. Here's hoping it will all be worth it,when you go next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the same as you Helen, once I am home for the night it takes a lot for me to head back outside - especially in the winter! But you DID go, it was their fault, not yours, and I love how you handled it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I would have been so p*ssed to walk into that building finding out that there was no class, especially when you took the effort to go there.

    During Autumn/Winter as soon as it's dark I don't want to go out anymore either. I try to walk Bella as soon as I get home now (4.30 pm) when there's still some daylight. Also because if I don't do that, I am walking in the dark 5 days a week and walking in the dark is not fun at all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our sunset is now at 4:40 so pretty much it's dark at night now. Either time I exercise it's going to be dark.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I would have been CHOKED! I hope they give you a discount or a free redo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once I'm home, I'm done. Which is why I haven't been to my knitting guild meeting in months...it's at 7:00 pm...the horror!

    ReplyDelete
  7. these days I think I need henry ford to MOVE IN WITH ME :-) and keep remining me of that fact.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must have felt so disappointed to find no one at the class and a bit angry when you weren't notified. I also don't want to go out after dark, and this time of the year it gets to be earlier and earlier. I'm already looking forward to days that are a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Missing the class was definitely NOT your fail....and actually turned into a victory because you were there...you were on top of it!

    As for the time frame....I learned a few years back....even though I literally drove by my house and had 30 minutes downtime, I just changed for my exercise class at work and went and sat in the parking lot waiting...because if I went home....it wasn't going to happen. LOL (Now I have to go and wait because I don't live on the way home!)

    ReplyDelete