Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Bad Blogger

I have just been so overwhelmed lately that the thought of writing a blog at the end of what have been very long days didn't even cross my mind really.  There's nothing special to report and I'm not sure what I have to say except. "busy" is my middle name.

December is a super busy month at my full time job.  Lots of holiday cards sent out from the various companies, plus we have to get the invitations out for our annual Winter Gala.  Then there's shopping and wrapping corporate gifts and of course, all my regular work as well.

Plus, I have my part time job at the mall. Four more shifts and the holiday frenzy will be over at the mall for me. That's how I get through December lol.   I chose to work 2 Sundays because this time of year we split the shifts.  I asked for the opening shift so that I could be home by 5 p.m. or so.  By working the Sundays, I only do one weeknight shift and I'm glad for that as the hours have now extended to 10:30 p.m. which means I'm not home until 11.  My hardest shift will be the one on December 22 because I will be alone and it will be super busy.  That last week people begin to frantically buy gift cards for anyone they couldn't find a real gift for. Four more shifts.

This past weekend we went and got our tree.  We still go to a tree farm and cut one down.  Every year Mr. Helen says no more fresh trees, let's get an artificial one.  Then I find one and tell him how much it costs and he says, ok one more fresh tree.  Anyway, it has been a crazy mild fall here and Saturday was no exception.  We were cutting a tree and it was 55 degrees.  I told Mr. Helen had we stayed out there any longer, I might have gotten a sunburn on my face.

He put the lights on Saturday night and as usual, we watched A Charlie Brown Christmas while he did that. Sunday morning, I got up, had coffee, and got to decorating.  Had to, as this was my last "free" weekend until after Christmas.  Mr. Helen works on Sundays so I'm alone and I have to say I really enjoyed my day.  I had pressed myself during the week so that Sunday was completely free with no obligatory chores except to decorate the tree.  As usual, I put Elf in the dvd and watched/listened to that while I decorated. And as usual, just about the time Elf was done, I had finished the tree.  I need to use my real camera to take a photo of it, but here's an iPhone shot


And here's my favorite ornament ever for both Mr. Helen and me.  Little Helen made it when she was in second grade and brought it home.  That's when Mr. Helen and I met so this is really how he remembers her as a little girl.  When we got a bit serious he told me he wanted to buy her a new coat.  I was a single parent working 3 jobs and I'm sure the coat she had probably wasn't the greatest and he was trying so hard not to hurt my feelings because he knew I was doing the best I could.  So, he took us shopping and let her pick out any coat she wanted.  She chose a purple coat (because that was her favorite color) with a fur-lined hood.  It was so much nicer than the one she had, and that's the coat she's wearing in this photo.  Not to mention her missing teeth.  Wonderful memories that we relive every Christmas!


As you can see from the photo above, as soon as I had that tree decorated, I wrapped gifts.  I actually managed to wrap everything I'd purchased so far. As usual, I watched Santa Claus is Coming to Town and Miracle on 34th Street while I did that.  Let me tell you what, I have to be organized between now and Christmas or I will drown!

As it turns out, everyone except 1 brother and his wife are coming to my house Christmas Day for dinner.  This will be the biggest crowd we've ever had and my house is small, unless we're doing a casual thing.  So, we're trying to figure out if we can actually seat everyone or if we're just going to go more casual.  Doesn't matter, I'm sure it will work out just the way it should.

I'm struggling with exercise right now.  It happens every December.  I should clarify that by struggling I mean I'm managing about 3 workouts a week vs. the 6 I normally do.  I just need my time in the evenings for shopping or wrapping or other obligations (i.e. working at the mall), which means I do not get to bed in the right time frame I need to in order to get up at 4 am.  Oh well, experience tells me this too shall pass.

One good thing about the busy-ness is that I'm eating normally.  I haven't been a bit tempted by extra goodies.When I realized this the other day I made up my mind that I would not casually partake of any holiday extras unless it was homemade and fabulous.  I haven't run across that yet so I'm good (so far!).  Honestly, I think I almost struggle more with wanting a glass of wine every single day than I do with the food extras.  But I'm not partaking of that either because the few days I can get up and workout, I want to feel ok and not dragged down by the alcohol.

So, that's all the news that's fit to print -  nothing special and life just going on at Doing A 180.  Which is perfectly fine.

9 comments:

  1. I think you have a lot to tell. I love your tree but love the story behind the ornament the most.

    Just take it one day at a time, December will end I promise :)
    As for Christmas Day I would make a buffet and just keep it casual, most of the times those are the best get togethers. Perhaps you can ask everyone to bring something too so you won't have all the pressure.

    I am so impressed you work at the mall next to your daytime job. Are you going to continue to work there next year too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to try to work there for about 2 more year or as long as I can stand doing it. It is helping us meet some financial goals we have for retirement. It's not so bad most of the time, the holidays are just tough with the extended hours.

      Delete
  2. Not a bad blogger, just a busy blogger!

    I remember the coat story. So sweet; love the ornament, picture and the sentiment behind it. :)

    This time of year is full of so much, and most of it is good, it's just hard to cram it all in. I'm happy that you got a full day to enjoy decorating your tree (and to watch all of the perfect Christmas shows that go with it). We are not putting up a tree or decorating inside this year (lights are finally up outside, at least) because we won't be here for the holiday. I will say, it's nice to not have to haul out all the decorations, but I bet I'll be happy to see them next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now, it's looking like my usual Christmas baking is being sacrificed this year. I'm sure we'll be just fine without extra cookies and candies.

      Delete
  3. I love that ornament - what a special remembrance of that time! The first tree we had as a family unit (Hannah was 10, Joe was 13) we cut down a fresh tree but that was it - I've had my pre lit tree since Hannah was 11 and just this year the top bulbs burned out, but turns out a $2 string worked just fine on top!

    Love your mantra "four more workdays. . ." Do you have any idea how long you'll keep the second job up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That ornament is sweet! I think that is one of the best parts about decorating. Taking all the ornaments out and remembering who gave them to you or what happened the year you got this one or that one. We don't have a theme for our tree, just all the ornaments we have collected over the years.

    I'm just trying to get through the next couple weeks and then hopefully things will get a little easier around here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three days a week of exercise sounds just fine. Getting sleep will do more for you than exercise, with your busy schedule.

    Your tree is beautiful! What kind of tree is it? I am skipping a tree this year--like Shelley said, I'll be more excited to see my ornaments next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are not a bad blogger at all. You are just a busy woman!!! Big holiday hug Helen!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You need to look on the bright side, you are still getting in 3 bouts of exercise each week! And wow girl...you are BUSY!

    ReplyDelete