Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Light Running

I love Christmas and I have truly sucked at it this year.  I didn't send out cards or make any goodies or anything I normally would do.  I feel like I've just been trying to survive from day to day.  So, please accept my apologies if you usually get a card from me and know it doesn't mean anything other than over-busyness on my part.

Last night was my last shift at the mall until next week.  The shifts this week have been madness made worse by the fact that the mall's credit card pin pads completely died last Saturday so we've only been able to take cash sales for the gift cards.  By the time I left my 9 hour shift on Sunday I considered it a victory that I'd only been sworn at twice and yelled at twice.  Most people realized it wasn't my personal fault, and I am happy to say that I let the swearing and yelling roll right off me because I knew it wasn't my fault either lol!

Very glad the holiday madness is behind me!  Now I'm just on to my personal holiday madness of trying to figure out how to set everything up for Christmas day.  One area of relief is the parking. Our neighbor is gone for a week and told me we should use her driveway for the extra guests and cars. That's a relief in and of itself.

Little Helen and husband are arriving tonight but we'll be sleeping by the time they get here.  Poor thing is going to be shocked when she walks in and there is nary a Christmas cookie in sight! As usual the entire time they are here is filled with family get togethers and activity.  One good thing about all the get togethers is that I don't have to do any cooking other than Christmas day itself.

While it's looking quite a lot like Christmas, it certainly isn't feeling like it around here.  No complaints from me as far as the temperatures go, but I sure do wish it would stop being rainy and grey and foggy every time the temperatures get around 50.  In other words, sun please!

The moderate temps have made for a nice fall/early winter running season (except for the rainy mornings).  When my running is going like this I day dream about maybe committing to training for another race.  Then I really start thinking about what that would take and I realize that nope, I really don't want to.  Maybe if there was a regular running group around here and I could find a great running partner like my former buddy Pete.

Speaking of Pete, he just turned 90 and he's still running races!!!  I ran into him at our local Greek Food Festival and he looks terrific.  It's those good Greek genes combined with having taken care of himself.  I did get him to agree to let me come and do a long walk with him some time after the holidays.  I hope the weather cooperates so we can do that.

The other morning while out running, I took some photos of light displays that are left on all night. Sometimes I purposely route myself along these streets - it's nice to see the displays and it's pretty peaceful at 5 am.

I'll share these with you and sign off for now - Merry Christmas!









13 comments:

  1. We are having unseasonably warm weather here too. In fact we
    are supposed to be 86 degrees on Christmas day here in Orlando. Don't feel bad about cutting back what you do for
    "Christmas" I say pick and choose to do the parts of it you like to do that is what I did this year and from now on unless/or until we have small grand children.
    Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you say pick and choose because I just told Mr. Helen last night I might completely change things up next year. We are just at a different stage in our life and I'm ready to make some changes!

      Delete
  2. Love the lights.

    Like you we are having very warm weather here too. I just keep waiting when it will change and keep my fingers crossed it won't be snow in January/February.

    I haven't sent Christmas cards this year. The only card with some personal words on it was from Shelley. All the others just put their names on it and that's it. I'd rather sent a birthday card to someone instead of a Christmas card.

    Merry Christmas to you dear Helen with Mr. Helen, little Helen and little Helen's husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had no snow at all last year, until January 19th. Then it snowed at least once a week until April. I sure hope that doesn't happen again!

      Delete
  3. I only sent out a few cards this year - and with traveling in November and then again this month, I just couldn't get it together to do much, either. Things don't always have to be done ahead of time (says the person still knitting a gift for her kadult)...and maybe Little Helen will take over cookie baking this year? Any case, we get to spend Christmas with our families, and that's what is most important.

    Love your xmas light run pictures! So peaceful, I agree. I am having to do some loooong runs over the next few weeks for my upcoming half, and to be honest, much as I'm looking forward to that event, I'll be glad to be done with training. So maybe your instincts are right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little Helen has started baking a bit so hopefully she made her own for them to enjoy.

      I'm sure I shouldn't be trying to train for a race right at this time, it's just that every once in a while, the weather is perfect and I'm inspired by the latest issue of Runner's World feeling lol!

      Delete
  4. I am glad you survived the mall! I am not sure I'd have the patience to deal with rude people - even if I knew it was directly actually to me.

    I am wearing flip flops to work today! It will be 62 degrees for a high - so weird. Just hope that January doesn't flip us the bird with subzero temps and two feet of snow!

    Enjoy your holiday with family and friends!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty blunt, even with the rude people, so they usually quickly shut up - ha!

      Delete
  5. Merry Christmas Helen! Don't work too hard for Christmas Day--just enjoy the wonderfulness of being with your family. Or, if you're like me, you'll enjoy the wonderfulness after they leave and everything is peaceful and quiet LOL.

    I enjoyed the lights you showed. They seemed a little more tasteful than some that I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely like you - love family but have my limits. It's fascinating to me that it feels like "so much more" when my daughter comes. We have definitely gotten used to it just being the two of us.

      Delete
  6. We don't send out cards. I just never get around to doing them and you wonder if they get lost in the shuffle anyway (no pun intended).

    We got hectic around here with hosting the eve dinner as usual and work was also busy, so I was trying to balance helping out there, cleaning and cooking!

    We biked on Christmas day. First time ever. not sure what that snowstorm is going to bring us on Tuesday. Might actually become winter around here...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Belated Merry Christmas Helen. Cheers to a great 2016!!!

    ReplyDelete