Tuesday, January 5, 2016

7.2 Pounds

The new year started off with a bang in the Helen household - a couple of bangs, actually.  First of all, on new year's eve, I finally got in to see the eye doctor about my left eye which was watering so much I could barely keep makeup on it.

Turns out I'm having an allergic reaction to "something" and by wearing contacts, my eyes are defending themselves by creating bumps under the eyelids.  Huh.  That's why every time I took my contacts out it felt like I had sand in my left eye and my eyes would water constantly.  Turns out both eyes were unhappy, just that the left eye was angrier than the right.  So, steroid drops and no contacts for two weeks.  When I screamed, "TWO WEEKS?!!!"  My (cute, young) eye doctor replied, "I KNOW!  It's a long time but if you don't stop it now, you might not be able to wear your contacts for longer than that.  Honestly, if it was me, I'd probably have to go on vacation for two weeks because I look like crap in glasses.  At least your glasses are nice."  I cracked up.

Secondly, Mr. Helen and I did something this year that we never do if we're just home on New Year's Eve:  stayed awake until just after midnight and saw the ball drop.  He's still working the later hours so I made us antipasti plates to snack on, then later I grilled some chicken.


We had started watching Making of a Murderer on Netflix and ended up watching four episodes of it that night, which brought us up to midnight.  (Put that on your watch list if you haven't yet - it's a fascinating documentary on a murder that happened in Wisconsin.)

Finally, I weighed myself on January 1st, which is the first time I weighed myself since I finished up with that nutritionist I worked with January-March of last year.  As I have for the last few years, I used my zero scale and I have one of the segments set to where I weigh myself once a year.  Turns out I gained 7.2 pounds in 2015.

I have no idea when I gained it - but I suspect this was a slow creep as I didn't notice huge differences in clothing.  This equates to 2.2 ounces a week of weight gain.  I'm going to state right here, I am fairly certain it's due to the changes in my exercise patterns since I started working the part time job. Not only have I not been working out as hard, I haven't been working out as often - and as I stated a couple of weeks ago, exercise was really falling apart for me in December when I was working even more.

I know I haven't changed my eating, and this year in particular, I did no Christmas baking nor did I find myself partaking of a lot of extras.  Thus my suspicion of a slow creep.

Obviously, this is something I would very much like to reverse and will be working on a plan to do just that.  Even if I lose it at 2.2 ounces a week, next January 1st I should see "Loss" and 7.2 pounds on my Zero Scale.  I can honestly say I've reached the point where I am so done with hardcore dieting that hasn't even entered my mind, other than to state here that I'm not planning on doing that.

The older I get, the more I am finding that it has become imperative to accept myself right where I am at any given moment but that doesn't mean I can't learn a good lesson like reducing of exercise means other things also need to be conscientiously adjusted!

I'm not looking for advice so need to comment with ideas on what I can do.  I'm actually trying to follow Lori's example and simply state what the facts are at this time, without judgement or harshness, yet knowing I can figure it out and do better.

Here's to 2016 and the new lessons it will teach me!


16 comments:

  1. Just the facts, Ma'am :D

    A few years ago I had an allergic reaction and my left eye was bloodshot for a long time. I was put on steroid eyedrops. Those taste so bad once they run down into the back of your nose -or however that works in the eye/sinus cavity. Yuck. I despise wearing my glasses and had to take them on our Disney trip for a couple of days.

    That creep is annoying - and it's also scarily easy to accept. Little blips you don't notice until it means you have a lot more work to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly was a little surprised at the number but I think it also clicked that it didn't have to mean anything devastating. Annoying most definitely, but devastating, no. Just trying to learn that it does not define ME.

      Delete
  2. I like your attitude about the numbers on the scale! Healthy attitude! I am also working on trying to accept and find contentment with where I am at at any given moment!. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have come to believe that unless you can just objectively accept yourself, it's quite difficult to make changes. Healthy is what I'm working on!

      Delete
  3. It is what it is, and I'm glad you can objectively look at that number...the emotions (good and bad) that came with the scale are why I had to stop weighing in.

    The thing with contacts is that I see better, distance-wise, with them than I do with my glasses, so I'd hate to not be able to wear mine. Hope your issues clears up quickly, and I have to say, I love your doctor's honesty about the situation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see most things, except maybe tiny tiny print, better with my contacts. I've only been back to work for 2 days with glasses and let me tell you, it's a trial. Now I know why my doc also said NO MATTER WHAT do not be tempted to wear your contacts sooner lol!

      I am proud that I experienced no huge emotions over the number. It is what is is and I can fix it.

      Delete
  4. Your NYE spread is my perfect meal! Love. And I agree that sometimes its a good idea to give your eyes a break from contacts - on the weekends I mostly wear my glasses around the house. It also helps that I have disposable contacts so I get a fresh pair each day - love that!

    I love the whole positivity of this post! Here's to 2016! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Helen loves appetizer-style meals. I do too but I wouldn't want that every day lol!

      I generally wear my glasses in the evenings and a lot on weekends anyway, but this wearing them full time is for the birds!!

      Delete
  5. No one else loved the 2.2 ounce per week breakdown? I'm still laughing. What a great way to look at things. I am right with you on the not obsessing over a number or a small gain. I am still learning.

    You all are making me want to give contacts one last try. My glasses have been bothering me lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you appreciated my math! You know how you go on vacation and gain 5 pounds in 1 week? (Or maybe you've never done that but I have.) You feel that weight gain. This was slow that I really didn't feel anything. Probably also helped by going through different seasons/clothing. When I saw the number I did a double taken and immediately thought, "I wonder how much that is a week?" So I did the math. Surely I can lose 2.2 ounces a week :D

      Delete
    2. I have "gained" 10 pounds in one vacation! And yes, I felt it. Fortunately, that time it came off pretty fast.

      Delete
  6. YES.
    That is it here in a slightly different realm.
    I can figure out better I CAN DO BETTER.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had the same kind of food on NYE too. We always do that.

    I hadn't weighed myself in a lot of months. Turned out I lost a little bit of weight this year but I haven't been working on it.

    I heard about Making a Murderer this week, there have been some articles about it. I have Netflix and it's on my to watch list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. :) 7 pounds more of you to love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in the same position as you, Helen. The scale is up! It's so easy to do, and in my case, we had many major changes and challenges, and because of selling our home, buying a new one, and being without a working kitchen for some time, we did lots of restaurant eating. For me, that is the kiss of death, because the extra calories aren't always apparent. Anyway, we're settled now, and it's time to get into a healthy routine. I may even bring my old blog back, but haven't decided yet. Thanks for sharing such an honest post.

    ReplyDelete