Thursday, January 28, 2016

Buffalo Chicken Chowder

After our extra warm December with temperatures in the high 60's, January brought more seasonal weather and along with it my desire for soup/stew/chili, etc.  In the past three weeks I have made three different soups with leftovers that have gone into the freezer providing me with easy lunches.

The most recent soup I made was supposed to be a chili, that I ended up turning into something completely different because as I began to make it I suddenly didn't want the beans or corn.  It is done in the crockpot but I'm sure it could be made on the stovetop.  I made it during the snowstorm and served it with a pan sandwich for dinner.  Mr. Helen, who normally does not eat soup other than if I serve it, actually served this to himself after his karate class on Monday night. Then he named it as I was saying I couldn't figure out how to describe it.  That was enough of an endorsement that I figured I'd share the recipe here!



Buffalo Chicken Chowder
Changed  a lot, from here

1 pound ground chicken
1 T olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup Frank's Red Hot sauce
1 14 1/2 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 14 1/2 oz. can white hominy, drained and rinsed
4 cups chicken stock or broth
8 oz. light cream cheese
Blue cheese crumbles (optional)
Hot Sauce
Oyster Crackers

Brown the ground chicken in a non-stick skillet, then transfer to your crockpot.  Add the 1 T olive oil to the skillet then saute the onion, celery, and garlic until soft and slightly browned.  Add that to the crockpot along with all the other ingredients, setting the block of cream cheese on top of it all.

Cook on high for 4 hours or for low on 8.  Stir or whisk to incorporate cream cheese and create a creamy texture. Top with blue cheese crumbles if you like and serve with oyster crackers and extra hot sauce.

Next time I make it, I think I'm going to reduce the stock to 3 cups so it will be a bit thicker.  But it really is good just the way I made it.

4 comments:

  1. You had me at cream cheese and Frank's hot sauce. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could drink hot sauce. I love it! I love buffalo anything. I can't get John to eat it though (wuss). I think a thicker chowder style would be awesome with this.

    ReplyDelete