Thursday, February 18, 2016

It's Always Something!

As I have mentioned, we have had some very whacky weather this fall and winter going from spring-like temperatures to arctic cold and back sometimes in only 24 hours. After 4 days of below zero temperatures with windchills to match, and many snow squalls, from 4 p.m. on Monday to 4 a.m. on Tuesday we went from a quick snow storm that left super slick roads and 2 inches on the ground, to pouring rain and 45 degrees!

Tuesday morning, when I got up to have my pre-workout coffee, I turned on the TV to look at the news and found that at 4:30 it switched from national to local news.  This is something my news station does whenever there is bad weather.  I thought this was really odd as I could hear the rain and had already looked out the window to determine that yes, it had cleared the roads and even my front yard was beginning to see grass again.

First they showed a tractor-trailer roll-over that was clogging the highway going south (it ultimately took 16 hours to clean that up and some people were stuck on I-95 for 6 hours!).  Then they started talking about how there was a lot of black ice because the ground was frozen underneath the tarmac even though it was nearly 50 degrees outside.  This made me dread my drive to work but first I had to worry about my workout.

I did my scheduled strength training then headed for the treadmill as it was still raining pretty hard.  I very tentatively stepped out my back door and out on to the driveway and noted that our driveway was not slick or icy.  I began to walk normally towards the garage door and the next thing I knew I was flat on my back.

I laid there a minute, listening to my water bottle roll away from me, trying to assess what had happened and if anything was really hurt.  Turns out what I thought was a puddle in my driveway was actually solid black ice.  The fall happened so fast I don't even remember bracing myself - probably good as I could have possible hurt hands or wrists or who knows what else.

Not only did I fall but the acceleration of the fall threw me onto our patio, which as it turned out was a solid sheet of ice.  I realized that there was no way I could stand up as I didn't have ice skates on my feet.  I had to get to my water bottle which had rolled to where Mr. Helen had pushed the snow back to - so I crawled.  Once I retrieved that, I crawled to the garage door where I was able to use the concrete protected by an overhang to get back up.

Now that I've painted that picture, imagine it in the rain, in the dark.

I was more pissed off than anything else - cussing about the stupid CT weather and vowing to move away ASAP.  I did feel a slight twinge in my right knee and my left butt cheek (I'm guessing that where I initially landed) but decided to see if I could manage the Run and Tone as I had planned.
I did manage and came in warning Mr. Helen about the conditions.  

Got cleaned up and left for work only to have my car's anti-lock brakes kick in and the car literally slid all the way down my hill.  As I slid through the stop sign I just prayed no other cars were coming.  I also managed to make it to work ok by driving carefully - the main roads were actually pretty good, just the side/local roads that were still icy.

As my work day went on, my knee continued to ache and by the end of the day was so stiff and sore any movement of my leg that needed knee flexion was causing pain.

I went home and sat with an ice pack for quite some time but by the time I finished dinner I was pretty miserable so Dr. Helen went to Dr. Google to see what I could find.  I also had a discussion about it with Mr. Helen who has injured many ligaments, tendons, and bones over the course of his years of participation in sports.

Based on the pain and which movements made it hurt, I think I somehow injured the Medial Collateral Ligament which is the ligament that runs alongside the inner part of the knee.  It must have twisted as my left foot went out from under me.


At the onset it is recommended that you RICE - Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate - and take ibuprofen. Pretty much standard for most injuries.  This can take from a few days to two months to heal, depending on severity. If the ligament doesn't begin to feel better in a couple weeks, it is recommended that you go to a doctor for an MRI to see if it is a tear rather than a simple over extension.  The good news is that this particular ligament rarely requires a surgical fix.

Of course this means I can't run and at least for a few days, can't walk for exercise either.  I'm not sure how this is going to affect my get healthy plan but I do know the thoughts in my head went straight to doom.  Those who know me know the ONE THING I am quite consistent with is my exercise and to have that taken away is disheartening.

At least when I got up Wednesday, the only thing that hurt was my knee.  I suppose I should be grateful for that.


The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry

14 comments:

  1. Do you have the Tommy Copper knee brace? That might help it feel better, too. Please do take it easy and just do stretching. This doesn't affect your healthy plan, since a healthy plan includes caring for yourself when injured. Hope it heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have two Tommy Copper knee braces and it was the first thing I tried when I got home Tuesday night, but it wasn't supportive enough. Yesterday and today I've been wearing a heavy duty brace (the thick elastic ones with the knee hole) and I'm able to move somewhat normally. I've been icing every 2 hours for about 20 minutes too. The worst seems to be a night when I can't stand having the brace on and moving without thinking in my sleep - ouch! But it does feel so much better today that I'm hoping I'm in the "few days" of healing category.

      Delete
  2. So sorry to hear this Helen. I hope it isn't serious, and that it responds well to resting, icing etc. I agree with Lorie this shouldn't affect your healthy plan. Take care of yourself. I may not comment often but I am always rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the cheering section Susan!

      Delete
  3. You poor girl! That was a nasty fall and pretty scary too. I hope it heals quickly and you feel better soon.

    Side note: the knee of a dog looks a lot the same as our knee and the place where the anterior crucuate ligament is, is where Bella is hurt.

    Take it easy for a couple of days and don't start to soon with exercise again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I did not know that about dogs knees. Very interesting. Now I feel extra bad for Bella because the ACL seems to be a worse thing.

      Delete
  4. I injured my MCL falling through a floor grate just three weeks before running the Boston Marathon. Do the RICE thing, but my ortho said running/walking would not prolong or further injure the ligament. I ran the race and did PT following. It took about 4-5 months before I stopped noticing it... Its' more a side to side motion that bugs it (think dribbling a soccer ball). A brace may help stability. Hope you heal fast and get back at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for that input. As I'm 48 hours out now, I can tell my knee must have gone sideways when the other foot went out from under me. It's hurting less today and my brain is already saying to maybe try to walk with the brace and see how that goes.

      Delete
  5. Ugh, that sucks. Same thing happened to me one time. Left the back door and what looked just wet was straight up ice and I fell so quickly that one of my slip on shoes fell 20 feet straight into my back yard and I fell right on my knee.

    Hoping just a few days rest is all it needs, and glad it isn't a broken bone :( Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How crazy to all of a sudden be on your back! Black ice, man...it's a real B. Seconding everyone else in wishing you a quick recovery; pamper that poor knee!

    I think the first time I slid through a stop sign, I'd move. Or become a winter hermit. You are a brave woman to get out there in that kind of weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our one hesitation on buying this house was the hill with the stop sign at the end. Black ice SUCKS because even four wheel drive can't help. Nor does careful walking lol!

      Delete
  7. That blankety-blank black ice! The last time I was in Texas, taking a walk, I went down on the black ice. and one time, many years ago, when I lived in Texas, I ended up facing the wrong way on a freeway onramp--eeek! Oh, and right here on my own road, I have slid backwards down the big hill when trying to get out to go to work at 5 in the morning. I don't go anywhere when its icy any more :)

    It sounds from the comments that you might be making the quicker recovery. Its really fortunate that you didn't hurt your back badly with that kind of a fall. Take it easy. You can still lose weight and be healthy without exercise for a wee bit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boo to the knee issues! Hopefully it heals up quickly! That said, I am glad it wasn't worse!!!

    ReplyDelete