Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Tuesday Ten

1. The newest edition to my workout binder, which I got out of the latest edition of Runner's World. I'll do this on Fake Rest Day Fridays.  It IS a rest from running/walking, right?



2.  Speaking of workouts, I'm glad to report that I think my MCL issue is one that is going to heal quickly.  On Thursday evening, which was 2 1/2 days after my fall, I decided I felt well enough to try to take a walk - and I did with no pain!  Granted I wore an extra heavy-duty knee brace but I was so happy to move.  I have faithfully been icing the knee and wearing that brace to work and I think that has really moved things along.  On Saturday, I braced up and ran 5 miles.  On Sunday, our weather turned into spring and I couldn't stand the thought of not being outside so I strolled 5 miles - i.e., not at an exercise pace.  Monday, I ran and this morning I did strength training and a shorter run.  I seem to be fine as long as I support it, which makes me happy!

3. I really appreciate that Lynne (who I am not sure has ever commented before) chimed in with her experience regarding her MCL.  That made me feel confident that I could try to walk and run. Thank you so much Lynne!  Input like that gives me renewed love for the blogging (and running) community. Just like Lynne said, the forward motion is fine and it's only if I suddenly turn pushing into a side motion when it hurts.  I'll know I'm better when I'm able to turn over in bed without waking up because the motion has twinged the ligament.

4. Food continues to be well varied but under control.  I don't want it to come off that I never struggle with thoughts of wanting to eat more, or have that glass of wine on Wednesday.  Pretty much I just keep telling myself I've had plenty already and if I want to continue to feel good I need to stay on this path. Following the 21 days to form a new habit thing, I'm hoping in a couple more weeks it's more automatic than not.

5. Speaking of food, looking through recipes thinking about the week ahead, I made my Sausage, Sweet Potato and Spinach Casserole to eat for breakfasts.  It's so easy for me to get in a rut, especially with breakfast.  I'm glad I made it as I had forgotten how yummy this is!



6.  I got a new washer and dryer for Valentine's Day!  Just kidding but we did buy it the day before Valentine's Day and Mr. Helen did try to pass it off as a gift until I reminded him that it's not a gift if I contribute paying for it.  I've been shopping for one for a couple months and I cannot believe how much the technology has changed in the last 13 years, which was the last time I shopped for a set. That set went to my mom when we moved into our current home as there was a set here already.
I have hated that old washer and dryer since the day we moved in.  Honestly, I just do not care for GE appliances at all and as I replace things they are not GE!  I hope I like my new set, which are LG, high efficiency, and energy star rated.


7. Those beauties had to come down that same awful stair case as our sectional did a couple years ago, which is why we bought bought a set even though it was really the dryer that had issues.  Mr. Helen and a couple buddies helped him get out old ones out since we didn't want the delivery guys to be there all day.  Turned out the stairs weren't even the issue.  Even though we had been very careful about the width of the units, we didn't think about the depth.  The depth shouldn't have mattered except the washer hose hookups are not recessed on these units.  Plus our rigid dryer vent didn't work.  The simple delivery turned into a 4 hour ordeal - for us not for the delivery guys of course. This resulted in a trip to buy more new hoses with an elbow and a flexible foil vent.  Plus lots of curse words and frustration from Mr. Helen.   In my dream house, instead of a laundry closet, I have a room with a counter and a sink.  I guess I should just be glad I have a washer and dryer and don't have to go to the laundromat every week, right?

8. Though I use it every day for coffee, I finally tried my Ninja Coffee Concierge to make a fancy drink.  I chose to make a Peppermint Mocha, which is the only drink I'll buy from $tarbuck$ and even then usually only if I'm traveling.  Anyway,  I used this chocolate (also yummy to eat lol):


I chopped about a half ounce into the bottom of my cup, then set the brewer to specialty brew, which concentrates the coffee.  While it was brewing, I heated  a half cup of 1% milk and frothed it well, and voila!  Not only did it taste just like a Peppermint Mocha, I made it healthier with no syrup and no artificial ingredients.



9.  I earned another $5 last Saturday, even with reduced exercise due to my fall.  I know it's a combination of food and exercise that makes up the overall picture, but I was still happily surprised. I just do not trust my thyroid to cooperate. Mr. Helen wanted to show me the photo again, but I'm stood firm and said not looking until I'm done.

10.  Before you ask, I'll feel done when I'm wearing a size 10.  That was what I wanted in 2002 and it's what I want now.



I'm not really dieting per se but I thought this was funny!

15 comments:

  1. So glad to read that your doing OK. I wondered how you were fairing after last weeks fall. Congrats on the new washer and dryer. I still have my old,old fashioned kind.

    I like that you know what size you want to be versus scale number. Some times I think inches matter more than pounds. Its the inches (space) you take up that folks can see not the number on the scale. Funny meme at the end there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has taken me a long time to learn that I feel my best at a size 10. I swear this time when I'm there I'm going to appreciate it and not obsess over being smaller or weighing less!

      Delete
  2. Laughing at that last meme - so true, so very true!

    What a gorgeous new washer and dryer! Sam bought a top-loader (agitator-less, which is what I'm assuming yours is as well) set when he moved and I love it - feels like you can easily get anything into the washer. Of course, with me being short, I had to stand on my tiptoes and lean over the side to get the items from the bottom of the tub; if I ever get that design, I'll have to get a footstool, too!

    Very happy to hear that your knee is on the mend AND that you got a springtime run in, woohoo!!!

    Those bark thins wouldn't last long in my house...I love peppermint and dark chocolate together. That said, your specialty coffee drink looks legit - yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this one is agitator free. It's a good thing it automatically senses how much water is needed for each load because without the agitator I couldn't begin to guess lol! Don't feel bad about needing a step stool - if you look at the very bottom left of that photo you'll see the small step that goes into our tiny bathroom down there and I have been standing on that to get the clothes out lol!

      Delete
  3. OMG, that last picture is hilarious and oh so true! Save your receipts for tax purposes next year - you get a tax deduction for upgrading your appliances to high efficiency ones - I got a credit not only for my new refrigerator last year, but also the new energy efficient windows I had installed.

    Glad the knee isn't too bad! That would have sucked to be on the sidelines for too long, but I agree that the bandage and icing probably helped in the recovery.

    p.s. I love your Tuesday 10s!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always save receipts when we make a major purchase, simply for warranty reasons. I sure hope that tax deduction is available when I'm ready to do taxes next year!

      Delete
  4. Glad to read your knee is healing well.

    Oh, and I have that washer and it is by far the best one I've ever had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that. I'm really loving it so far.

      Delete
  5. Yay on the $5!!! It's nice to be rewarded for work.


    Those bark thins are yummy. I got some of those for John's christmas stocking and he loved them.

    That meme is me, unfortunately. I never see dramatic results, though. Ever. It makes me want to pick up drinking every day so that I can give it up and then lose weight. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG you crack me up! I've pretty much decided I'm past the age of dramatic results so my goal is to be happy that my thyroid is cooperating and whittle away at this. I mean it would be nice to lose more than the 7.2 lbs. I gained last year, but even that would be a great start!

      Delete
  6. That breakfast casserole looks so good, and came at the right time. I am experiencing some breakfast boredom, and I've been thinking about trying some savory breakfasts. I think the sweet potato will make it just right. I'm going to try making it with bacon instead, since I have that in the house.

    Glad you are on the mend. And the washer and dryer are just gorgeous! I got new ones recently, but they are not exciting. Good price thought :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The casserole would be delicious with bacon. Also, I decided this morning I'm going to cut it in half next time I make it - put it in an 8x8 pan. Mr. Helen is not eating it this time so it's a lot for me even though I'll freeze the leftovers.

      Delete
  7. I am so glad that your injury is looking like a really fast healing dealio!!!! That has to be a HUGE relief!

    I've been eyeballing those Bark Thins at the grocery store. I've picked them up a few times but I've managed to put them down in fear that they will be AWESOME and I won't be able to resist them! Yes, I have a weird weird way of thinking!

    Woo hooo on another $5!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy to hear that your knee is already better!

    And congrats on another 5 dollar, you are on a roll here. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE that meme!!!! Glad you are feeling good! (and for the record, I have washer/dryer envy!)

    ReplyDelete