Wednesday, March 23, 2016

8 Miles then Brunch

Can I just say how happy I am that this is a four day work week?  I'm so looking forward to having Good Friday off.  Hopefully I put it to good use, though I'm tempted to do nothing.  I just have a bunch of nagging projects I need to get to and get done before summer gets here and I really should be using extra days off to do those.  One of my issues is that Mr. Helen keeps taking days off from work and it's quite difficult for me to do project type things when he is around.  He just won't let me get into anything without needing something from me.  But this weekend he volunteered to work for someone on Saturday so I'll have Friday-Saturday to do something.  I really should just pick a project, even though I'd rather go shopping and out to lunch with a friend.

I managed to run 8 miles this past weekend.  I've either been running on as flat a course as I can find or on the treadmill (depending on weather).  I want to run that distance a couple more weeks then I'm going to go to one of my old training areas and run it.  It's super hilly so I want to feel really confident in getting 8 miles in several times before I go there.  My goal all along has been to get back to a regular 10-ish mile run every Saturday.  Depending on the day, the weather, and every other thing that affects runs, I'm thinking it will take me somewhere between 1 1/2 to 2 1/4 hours to run 10 miles and though I don't even really care how long it takes, I do want to be conditioned for it.

One thing I've noticed during my cut back the food process is that I'm only eating a meal twice a day on the weekends.  I'm sure it's because I wait to eat until after my run. So by the time I run and clean up, it's more like brunch time.  I will say though that I eat hearty, i.e., I'd bet most of my normal breakfasts and lunches combined are around 600 calories (again, I'm not counting calories, I just kind of know what is what after all these years.)  I'd say my brunches are probably close to 500, so it's not like I'm really missing out on much.  If I feel hungry later, I just have a snack to hold me over to dinner.

After that 8 miler this past week, I attempted to recreate the dish I'd had at brunch with my sister the previous week.  I just have to say, it turned out fantastic, so I decided I'd share with you what I made!

Spanish Egg Skillet For One

3/4 cup prepared Spanish Rice (I made this kind without the oil they suggest)
1/2 link cooked chorizo sausage ~ 1 ounce (see note below)
1 egg
1/2 ounce shaved Manchego cheese
1-2 ounces avocado slices
Small cast iron skillet (or any oven proof dish)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Chop sausage up and stir together with prepared rice.  Layer in bottom of skillet.  Crack egg and put on top of rice.  Cook in oven for 12-15 minutes, until yolk is done as much as you'd like.  Top with shaved Machego and avocado slices.

Note: Spanish chorizo is already cooked.  Mexican chorizo is not cooked so you need to cook it first.



You can see the Manchego melted as soon as I put it on.  I should have let the dish cool a bit as it was too hot to eat right out of the oven and the Manchego really should be shavings on top. Still tasted great though! After I had this, I realized you could make this whole dish substituting a hot Italian sausage and shaved Parmesan and it would taste just as good!  I also think you could use a bigger skillet and make this for multiple servings.  In any case it was a delicious brunch and held me well until our early dinner in celebration of Mr. Helen's father's 88th birthday, where I ate pesto gnocchi with grilled chicken.

I wish I could eat like that all the time becase two really flavorful, delicious meals are definitely better than three so-so ones.


9 comments:

  1. I eat like that all the time on the weekends - two meals, tops. And on some weekdays, I do that as well...it all depends on my schedule, my running, and how much coffee I have (because a few good cups can make me not hungry for breakfast until 10:30 or 11:00 am). It's a little unorthodox but hey - it works for me, and it sounds like it's working well for you, too. Your skillet breakfast looks amazing. I don't know if I've actually ever had Manchego cheese but now I feel I need to find some and try it!

    Congrats on the running - I think this is the most distance I've seen you run in years! Nice to see this, nice to think that you must be feeling pretty good to be able to run so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see myself evolving to two meals a day once I'm in retirement, for sure.

    This IS the most distance I've run in years. But it's feeling really good. Honestly my running has not felt this good since I fractured my foot back in 2012. It's about time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Num num that dish looks so good, I love chorizo.

    I often eat just 2 meals at the weekend too. I'm just not hungry in the morning and just eat lunch and dinner. Since I don't exercise that much my body doesn't need it either at the moment.

    Is Good Friday normally a day off in the US? Here only government and bank employees get the day off. I have to work on Friday. But the good part is that we always have Eastern Monday off.

    Enjoy your long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Friday is not a national holiday so it's up to individual employers. I've worked at places where it was not given. At my current job, any office personnel get Good Friday and the EMS personnel for the ambulance company get Easter Sunday.

      Delete
  4. I almost always eat 3 meals. The only time I don't is if we go out to lunch and it is a big or rich meal. Then I just don't feel like eating dinner. That skillet dish looks so nommy!

    That's quite the distance! I ran 8 miles once in my life. Maybe some day I will do that again :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the same way on the weekends Helen - sleeping in a bit longer on the weekends, then starting with coffee and then not eating my first meal until 11 or even 12!

    But one day last week I realized I have conditioned myself to eat breakfast within 30 minutes of getting up because of my job, and decided to just eat when I got hungry, which that day wasn't until 12:15!

    I love your skillet - that melty cheese makes it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mileage is so impressive. And the goal of 10 miles! Wow.

    I don't know if I'll ever evolve into a two-meal a day person. It seems like it works best for me to not wait too long to eat or else I start fantasizing about food :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. BIG woo hoo on the mileage Helen!!!! Yay you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job on the running!!!

    So I'm curious about your 'days for projects!'....what did you get into???

    ReplyDelete