Friday, March 4, 2016

I Think It's Funny

Just some things that have struck me as both ironic and ha ha funny over the last couple of weeks...

This dish towel that was recently given to me as a gift.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Where there's a will, there's a way.  We took Mr. Helen's sister and her husband out for dinner (a long overdue thank you for everything they did for Little Helen's wedding after party) last weekend to a fantastic upscale and yes, pricey restaurant.  The service and food were impeccable and it's the sort of place that we would only go to for very special reasons, but we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I had the best gnocchi I've ever eaten in my life, anywhere.  It has sort of a cream sauce and a ham that had been cooked to crispness, almost like bacon but it was ham.

Crappy photo, seriously delicious gnocchi

My birthday happened to be a few days later and Mr. Helen who probably still had some sticker shock from that dinner told me he would be cooking.  Do you know my husband, who claims to not be a good cook, made me a bacon wrapped filet mignon, a piece of stuffed flounder, a piece of stuffed shrimp and most amazing of all, he roasted fresh red peppers because he found a recipe online that suggest that as an alternate vegetable.



It was delicious!  Of course the ladies at my job said if they were married to someone who cooked like me, they would pretend they couldn't cook either.  Hmmmm, I wonder....?




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why indeed?


I really tried to tamp down the celebrations and eating during my birthday week but try as I might, there were still extras.  I worked really hard at not eating all the food and all the goodies, but of course, I did have some.

Mama Helen made me a birthday dinner that featured a protein, two vegetables, and FOUR starches: homemade brown bread, mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, cheesy polenta.  I ate 3 of them and tried very hard to only have a dollop.  Then of course, there was the homemade coconut cake and chocolate ice cream.

The girls at work took me out to lunch because I had insisted I didn't want cake (which are usually not very special store-bought cakes).  I managed to keep that to a wrap sandwich and a side salad.  

Then of course Mr. Helen's special meal plus he had bought me a cupcake from our favorite Cake Lady.  Plus I had one glass of wine with my dinner.


The thing is, while I'm not sure I could have eaten smaller portions, because I really did try to eat "less", I suppose I could have flat out refused some of it.  But would doing that have made me happier?  I don't think so.


Though I know I don't want to get into a deprivation/diety mindset, in the back of my mind I had the thought that I might have to pay Mr. Helen $5 come this week's weigh in.  But then I thought, in real life there are special occasions, and times when I might eat more or have a treat and don't I want to participate? So, I did what I did.  I just wish a couple of meals wouldn't throw everything off.  I'm still wishing that - guess I'll find out tomorrow.

9 comments:

  1. Hmmmm -- if you do have to pay $5, then that's pretty cheap for several full cooked meals. You couldn't get that in any restaurant :D

    Hope you had a wonderful birthday week - it sounds like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, as you get older birthdays are just another day in the work week for the most part, but because of the many meals that were cooked for me, not to mention that Mr. Helen was home and did the housework!!!! It has been a good week, even if I have to pay.

      Delete
  2. OMG, it's like that towel was made just for you! Although I know you actually DO like the outdoors, Miss Grand Canyon Hiker! :)

    Happy Birthday (here, since I couldn't wish you one on FB)! Glad you celebrated and enjoyed all the food and treats - when they come with love, it's OK to splurge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that dish towel lol! (And I can't wait to be drinking on my patio again, even if it is just iced tea.)

      Delete
  3. Happy Belated Birthday Helen!!!!!!! Cheers to a great year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthday Helen! Wow, that is am amazing dinner your hubs made for you - I actually thought he might try to make pizza! :P

    I agree that the weight seems to come on way easier than it is to take it off - but I am glad you had a few splurges - it will all work out and life's too short not to celebrate a birthday with some special treats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy happy birthday!! And WOW to a week of great eats! Yes, definitely worthy of $5.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday Helen!

    Mr. Helen made a delicious meal for you! And you were right to just enjoy it. Special occasions are there for celebrating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad that you came to the conclusion that life happens and that $5 this one week wouldn't be a bad thing. That said....keep it to just one week and it will be a complete victory!

    ReplyDelete