Monday, April 18, 2016

I Feel Bad About My Waist


Have you read Norah Ephron's book I Feel Bad About My Neck?  I think it should be required reading for women of a certain age.  She quite accurately describes so much of what happens in mid-life, including the physiological changes.  Because each of us age differently, the things that are failing falling on me, might not be the same for you, i.e., I don't have any particular feelings about my neck, yet.

I do feel bad about my waist though.  I am one of those people who has very definitely thickened throughout my middle - to the point where at times I feel like I have no waist at all and I've just become triangle shaped, as I already was a person who carried weight in my lower abdomen and around my hips.

The main thing this waist business has affected is wearing pants.  Literally where the waist falls can determine the size I need.  I have also gained a new appreciation for the elastic waist that I used to make fun of "old ladies" for wearing.  And I need to give props to whomever designed the hidden elastic waist dress slacks which allow one to look like a normally dressed business person in the office setting.

In any case, because of my waist, I am often not very good at finding pants that fit properly as many times when I buy pants that fit my waist they could be a bit loose elsewhere.  This can be disguised to a degree with jackets and cardigans - or simply by wearing skirts! -  but eventually it catches up.

After my weigh-in Saturday morning as Mr. Helen was handing over $5 he said, "By the way, I think you should pull out a smaller size and see if anything fits because your pants were looking extra baggy last week."  I insisted to him that he was wrong that things were just fitting me better, and he insisted back that I looked like I needed a diaper change.  Sigh.

As I got dressed and pulled on my fresh out of the dryer jeans, I realized they slid right on with no tugging.  Huh.  Then about an hour later, I felt like these jeans were actually really comfortable and something I could wear all day instead of wanting to jump to pajamas because I was sick of them. Huh.

Didn't really think anything more about it because Monday I wore a skirt to work (again, a pull-on skirt with elastic waist) and when I came down after dressing, Mr. Helen said, "Your weight loss is showing, try on smaller pants."  Whatever.

Last Tuesday, as I was putting on my makeup I was doing some deep thinking about the weather, my clothes, my workouts, toning, my waist, etc., etc.  When I was ready to get dressed I thought, what the hell, and I opened the tote with smaller pants.  Real pants with buttoning, non-elastic waists. Pants that I had tried on in January and couldn't even get the zipper up a bit, much less button, therefore they were relegated to the "not right now" tote.  Picked a pair, then went looking for a blouse.  Picked a blouse that was also too tight in January.  I kept thinking, what the hell, what's the worst that can happen?  Well, they still don't fit, that's what.  No biggie. Grabbed my shoes and went for broke.

Mr. Helen walked in just as I finished dressing and said, "Now, that's what I'm talking about.  I guess you really ARE motivated by five dollar bills... and by the way, I was right."

This past weekend, I took the ultimate test and tried on a smaller pair of jeans and they also fit.  (My pants size and my jeans size are different - are yours?) But now, I can say I'm down a full size! And you know, I'm not feeling quite as bad about my waist.

13 comments:

  1. I don't wear jeans, only regular pants. Regardless of waist circumference, I always prefer elastic; it makes me feel more comfortable and confident.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm thrilled to be in a bit smaller clothing, even if it's not my goal size.

      Delete
  3. I have that book and as soon as I saw your post's title, I giggled because I caught the reference. Yeah, I absolutely know what you mean about shifting body parts. And you're right, everyone has their thing that they focus on. I'm thrilled for you with the smaller clothes - your system is working!!! And huzzah for getting another fiver from Mr. Helen!!! So many exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think my mother adequately prepared me for the midlife shifting. But then again, I'm not sure anyone can be prepared for that!

      Delete
  4. P.S. That was true excitement because I've only had one cup of coffee... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually got that book for my friend's birthday a few years ago, because the title was so classic!

    Your $5 diet is really working!!! Now I need a Mr. Helen to come once a week and peer at the scale for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a diet. I insist that it's not because I don't count anything and not one single thing is restricted to me. If I told you what I ate on Saturday and Sunday, you'd agree I'm sure lol. In fact, I think if I truly "dieted" I hope I'd be losing weight at a much faster pace (as long as my thyroid allows).

      I'm hoping now that taking this no dieting approach will mean I can once and for all figure out how I need to eat to satisfy my thyroid and my desire to be a bit smaller.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I also should mention that I know I'm not losing like gangbusters because Mr. Helen has commented that I'm losing slow but steady. Seriously, he can't help himself and needs to say something every week. Ha!

      Delete
  6. Woohoo huge victory! Must have felt so good for you to fit in a smaller size. Not to mention a whole "new" outfit that you can wear again now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hot dog! A size lower is awesome!!!! I am going to be soon having to dig in the bins smaller clothes!!!!! Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete